The Bar Code Tattoo by Suzanne Weyn

The Bar Code Tattoo

by Suzanne Weyn

Recently added byAdorablyBookish, VavaViolet, RVHSGriggs, TereseMarie, private library, engpunk77, momma182, jkeck

he Bar Code Tattoo is the first book in the Bar Code series written by Suzanne Weyn. It is set in the future, 2025 to be exact, a time when people are expected to get a bar code tattoo upon the age of 17. Kayla, the main protagonist, is soon turning 17 but is still undecided whether to get coded or not. After experiencing a family tragedy and meeting schoolmates who support Decoded, Kayla’s negative feelings about getting the tattoo intensifies. Upon the insistence of her best friend, Kayla reluctantly goes to a facility to get coded on her 17th birthday. However, another tragedy occurs while they are waiting in line causing Kayla to flee. Soon she finds herself questioning the motives behind getting coded. As she uncovers the surprising truth about the tattoo, Kayla is forced to be an outcast and an outlaw.

This book reminded me of The Giver, both are set in the future wherein people are segregated in a specific way. That being said, The Bar Code Tattoo is an interesting look into what the future may hold. All I can say is, if this comes true, I’ll be in big trouble as my lineage isn’t so lucky in that aspect. I’m being vague I know, I don’t want to spoil the story for those who haven’t read it yet. For the most part, I like the character of Kayla, she is brave and intelligent. What I didn’t like is that she seems to fall in love too quickly; yes, she has two love interests. Also, because the book isn’t that long, there are some scenes that felt rushed. Fortunately, there is a sequel which will hopefully shed light on some lingering questions. I also like the quotes that the author included in the book. The quotes are apt and some are scary warnings of what the future may become – shudder!

I got my copy from a friend who had a book sale. I enjoyed reading this well-written book and give it 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  VavaViolet | Aug 28, 2015 |
The idea for the story was good, but the writing was really choppy and distracted me from what I was reading. Not one of her better books. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Not really a "recommendation" from a student. More like, student got this at RIF, and I acted really interested in it, and now he has asked me to read it....

After reading it, I'd say it's a good book. It is a distopian novel, set in the future (you know I loves me a distopia novel!) full of dirty politicians and money hungry international corporations. I liked it. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
The dystopian conditions were very well described and I enjoyed the progression of the story, although towards the end it started losing pace and some elements were unnecessary (without offering any spoilers). Still, a good afternoon read and a definite must for younger adults who should know about politics and the dangers of the current society. ( )
  Hana.Dooren.Richter | Sep 22, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0439395623, Mass Market Paperback)

Individuality vs. conformity. Identity vs. access. Freedom vs. control.

The bar code tattoo.

But what if you say no? What if you don't want to become a code? For Kayla, this one choice changes everything. She becomes an outcast in her high school. Dangerous things happen to her family. There's no option but to run . . . for her life.

Indivuality vs. conformity..
Identity vs. access.
Freedom vs. control.

The bar code tattoo.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:29 -0400)

In the near future, Kayla finds herself running for her life when she refuses to get the mandatory bar code tattoo on her seventeenth birthday--a decision that renders her a social outcast and places her family in grave danger. The bar code tattoo. Everybody's getting it. It will make your life easier, they say. It will hook you in. It will become your identity. But what if you say no? What if you don't want to become a code? For Kayla, this one choice changes everything. She becomes an outcast in her high school. Dangerous things happen to her family. There's no option but to run for her life. Individuality vs. conformity. Identity vs. access. Freedom vs. control. The bar code tattoo.… (more)

Suzanne Weyn is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,070,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible