The Bar Code Tattoo by Suzanne Weyn

The Bar Code Tattoo

by Suzanne Weyn

What was I thinking?

I honestly really had high hopes for this book. It had all the elements to actually be a very succesful book, but it failed horribly. It was badly written and it was pretty incredible (in the bad way).

Seventeen year-old Kayla can't do much with her life, because she lives in the dystopian future (2020-2030) and she refuses to aquire a "bar code tattoo". The bar code tattoo is apparently the solution to all the problems of society! No need for you to carry pesky licenses anymore! Credit cards? Who needs them when you have the tattoo? If you have health issues, don't worry, because the tattoo can help you with that too. The tattoo is a dream come true!

Okay not really, but people that don't get the tattoo are seen as outcasts, people that are just "rebelling" against the "perfect" world. By Kayla can see past all the perfect-ness, she knows that there's more to the tattoo than what is being lead on. But, what can she do if she's being forced to get the tattoo? Can she really fight against the system?

Good try Suzanne Weyn, good try. You really had me fooled.

Like I said, great elements, I almost thought it would be a great story... it wasn't. Everything was "almost" good, until the author decided to include a poorly thoughtout "love" story. It wasn't even good enough to be considered love. These 2 characters only say 3 words to each other, and suddenly they're "in love". The whole book was really predictable and the "cliff hangers" of each chapter were just really ridiculous. Most of the characters where very badly written and I think this is the first book where I did many annotations. I had to stop and remind myself that people aren't actually that stupid in real life.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, but I honestly didn't like it. At all. 0 stars if I could.

Oh and if you want to have a good laugh, just read my status updates while reading the book... my rage is perfectly captured. ( )
  | Jul 1, 2015 | edit |
The idea for the story was good, but the writing was really choppy and distracted me from what I was reading. Not one of her better books. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Not really a "recommendation" from a student. More like, student got this at RIF, and I acted really interested in it, and now he has asked me to read it....

After reading it, I'd say it's a good book. It is a distopian novel, set in the future (you know I loves me a distopia novel!) full of dirty politicians and money hungry international corporations. I liked it. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
The dystopian conditions were very well described and I enjoyed the progression of the story, although towards the end it started losing pace and some elements were unnecessary (without offering any spoilers). Still, a good afternoon read and a definite must for younger adults who should know about politics and the dangers of the current society. ( )
  Hana.Dooren.Richter | Sep 22, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0439395623, Mass Market Paperback)

Individuality vs. conformity. Identity vs. access. Freedom vs. control.

The bar code tattoo.

But what if you say no? What if you don't want to become a code? For Kayla, this one choice changes everything. She becomes an outcast in her high school. Dangerous things happen to her family. There's no option but to run . . . for her life.

Indivuality vs. conformity..
Identity vs. access.
Freedom vs. control.

The bar code tattoo.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:29 -0400)

In the near future, Kayla finds herself running for her life when she refuses to get the mandatory bar code tattoo on her seventeenth birthday--a decision that renders her a social outcast and places her family in grave danger. The bar code tattoo. Everybody's getting it. It will make your life easier, they say. It will hook you in. It will become your identity. But what if you say no? What if you don't want to become a code? For Kayla, this one choice changes everything. She becomes an outcast in her high school. Dangerous things happen to her family. There's no option but to run for her life. Individuality vs. conformity. Identity vs. access. Freedom vs. control. The bar code tattoo.… (more)

Suzanne Weyn is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,402,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible