dismiss

The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross

The Girl in the Steel Corset (edition 2012)

by Kady Cross (Author)

Finley, who has a beastly alter ego inside of her, joins Duke Griffin's army of misfits to help stop the Machinist, the criminal behind a series of automaton crimes, from carrying out a plan to kill Queen Victoria during the Jubilee.
Member:JeanetteReames
Title:The Girl in the Steel Corset
Authors:Kady Cross (Author)
Info:Harlequin Teen (2012), Edition: Original, 480 pages

Work Information

The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross

English (119)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (121)
I always enjoy a foray into the steampunk world. Finley doesn't really know why she has unusual powers, but though she tries to hide them, her super strength makes a showing whenever she is faced with highly emotional situations. That leads her right into the world of Griffin King, royalty - who also happens to have unusual powers. While they are still figuring out if they can trust each other, they are also in a race to save the world - rollicking times to be had by all. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Sep 16, 2022 |
I really enjoyed this little twist on the Jekyll and Hyde story, but I didn't fall in love with it. Finley is a girl with a mad case of puberty *ok, maybe not* who has bounced from place to place because of her "affliction." She's pretty badass, but she's also afraid of herself and afraid of what she could do to others in her alternate state. When Griff and Sam find her, she's just beaten the holy bejeezus out of the jerkhole she worked for because he was getting a bit too fresh. If only we all had that power...

I actually enjoyed the subplot with Sam a little more, even though some parts were kinda obvious (like his relationship with a stranger he meets).

At any rate, Kady Cross does a great job with bringing the steampunk elements into the story. From Emily's workshop to Sam's bionic body parts to the velocycles the group uses to zip through London's crowded streets, Cross brings to life this imaginative world where technology is just as important as character and plot, and it sometimes pushes the plot.

But for me, even with this hugely rich world and these intriguing characters (Sam's self-loathing is particularly...well, sad), I had some trouble connecting with the story. Maybe it's because this is the first steampunk I've read and I was getting a feel for the world, but something...just kept me from really engaging with the characters, even Jasper, who is certainly crush-worthy. I think it's because I didn't have much of a stake with them. Griff's tale is difficult to grasp at certain points. There's this whole thing with the ether and whatnot that was sometimes more confusing than cool (even though it was still cool, don't get me wrong).

I would still recommend this book, especially if you've already had experience with steampunk. The story's good, the characters are better, and the tech is just plain cool.

CatherinePeace | Apr 8, 2022 |
I could go on and on about all of the issues I had with this book, but so many reviewers have enumerated upon them already, more eloquently than I could at this point in time. Suffice it to say, this book was a poorly mashed-up mixture of X-Men, steampunk, and romance with overtly-cliche love triangles and Mary-Sueish characters. That may sound harsh, but after the agony of having my energy sapped just reading this book, I'd like to save at least one other person the time and effort. (For the record, I read most of the book and heavily skimmed the rest. I didn't get hooked by ANYTHING.) ( )
  bookwyrmqueen | Oct 25, 2021 |
Finley was never one to fit in, unfortunately that usually meant she was not able to hold down any one job for more then a few weeks. And now it seemed this current position would be no exception. It was too bad, it was quite a good position she held. But now after having beaten a Lord's son and hair to within an inch of his life, she just couldn't see how she would be keep her on in her position or how she would avoid the peelers.

Although it had been frightfully unavoidable the lad had thoroughly deserved every broken bone and bruise he suffered. However Finley now found she did regret it a little, but only because she was now out of a job, again, and would possible find herself in strife with the law. But the bigger problem at hand was not the young Lord and the strife he wanted to set upon her but a Duke and the expectations he now placed on her having seen what she is capable off.

The Girl In The Steel Corset is an action packed Steampunk mystery with a brilliant and colourful cast of misfit superheroes racing about the streets of Victorian London solving crimes and uncovering secrets hidden within the past. A place where the dead may be gone but doesn't mean you can't talk to them, where a broken man can be rebuilt with machines and where even those you trust may betray you. A pacy and enjoyable read that is the first in this new series. ( )
  LarissaBookGirl | Aug 2, 2021 |
I am not normally reeled into the "steampunk" literary world and held there so firmly, but this one did. ( )
  chelsea.carmanmoore | Jul 26, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

London, 1897: The moment she saw the young man walking down the darkened hall toward her, twirling his walking stick, Finley Jayne knew she'd be unemployed before the sun rose.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,987,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible