Everything I Know about Love I Learned from Romance Novels

by Sarah Wendell

Take a dashing hero with a heart of gold and a mullet of awesome. Add a heroine with a bustle and the will to kick major butt. Then include enough contrivances to keep them fighting while getting them alone and possibly without key pieces of clothing, and what do you have? A romance novel. What else? Enough lessons about life, love, and everything in between to help you with your own happily-ever-after. Lessons like... *Romance means believing you are worthy of a happy ending *Learning to tell the prince from the frog *Real-life romance is still alive and kicking *No matter how bad it is, at least you haven't been kidnapped by a Scottish duke (probably) Sarah Wendellis cofounder of one of the top romance blogs, SmartBitchesTrashyBooks.com.… (more)

I'm not a huge fan of romance novels, especially since my to-read list usually hovers around 50 books already, so that probably explains my disinterest in this particular book praising the romance novel. The author is a well-known romance book blogger, and her book reflects that particular style of writing. Some of the points are valid, but overemphasized or presented sloppily.

If you are looking for an academic or critical review of the romance genre, this is not for you. If you are looking for a fluffy read about the positive attributes of romance novels, this may be your cup of tea. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
This book is both a hilarious romp through great romance books as well as a sharp, feminist look at love and relationships. [a:Sarah Wendell|2530671|Sarah Wendell|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1302801370p2/2530671.jpg] does a great job of showing how romance books have changed as society has changed. The characters in modern romance have a lot to tell us about what we should expect from our partners and what is not acceptable. As with her website, Smart Bitches Trashy Books, Wendell is filled with wit and not above skewering the more hackneyed tropes of her favorite genre.
Highly recommended for both people looking to see how romance has changed and get a quick list of titles to check out as well as fans of self-help books with bite such as [a:Augusten Burroughs|3058|Augusten Burroughs|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1337222509p2/3058.jpg]'s [b:This Is How: Proven Aid in Overcoming Shyness Molestation Fatness Spinsterhood Grief Disease Lushery Decrepitude More. For Young and Old Alike] ( )
  Vantine | Apr 1, 2020 |
This is the second novel (essay?) written by Sarah Wendall, her first being Beyond Heaving Bosoms: The Smart Bitches' Guide to Romance Novels with Candy Tan. I liked that one a lot so I picked this up on a whim.

I liked it well enough, I would probably give it 3 1/2 stars if that was possible. I think there are good points being made here, and I like it when people stand up to defend romance novels as a genre. That said it is very much a preaching to the choir type of book since I'm not sure if anyone other than romance novel readers would pick this book up.

I just think it was a very dry read. It actually took me way longer to read then I thought it would, and that took away some stars for me. I would recommend it if you liked the last book she wrote, or just want to read about romance novels in general. ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Sep 17, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book so much I bought it twice (in print and ebook). ;)

This is a great companion to Beyond Heaving Bosoms, and continues the discussion of the importance and impact of romance novels on readers and authors. It's funny, heartwarming, and inspiring. ( )
  RobynBachar | Apr 30, 2014 |
A lighthearted and fun look at the life lessons that can be learned by reading romances.
I liked that it took a tongue in cheek but very respectful look at romances, their strengths and weaknesses and the writer and readers love of the genre comes through.
A very easy read and a effective reinforcement not just of the romance genre but also about how to treat yourself and others in life in general not just in your romantic life. Overall this was just a general positive and reaffirming book telling us that we deserve to be respected and treated right and you can't really go wrong with that. I would have liked a more serious look at some of the more negative aspects of romance novels, but to be honest that wouldn't have really fit with this book.
And now I would really like to read more books like this in other genres. ( )
  Kellswitch | Apr 10, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,925,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible