Legend by Marie Lu

Legend (edition 2013)

by Marie Lu (Author)

Series: Legend (1)

4,9513531,673 (3.93)1 / 114
In a dark future, when North America has split into two warring nations, fifteen-year-olds Day, a famous criminal, and prodigy June, the brilliant soldier hired to capture him, discover that they have a common enemy.
Member:White_Star2008
Title:Legend
Authors:Marie Lu (Author)
Info:Speak (2013), Edition: Reprint, 352 pages

Legend by Marie Lu

Above the Sky by Jenny Lynne (Anonymous user)
    Secondborn by Amy A. Bartol (wordcauldron)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (Aleana)
    The Bridge by Jane Higgins (wegc)
    wegc: Both books feature a divided society with one side having military-trained students and the other struggling for survival, and secret plots.

English (355)  Swedish (1)  All languages (356)
I really enjoyed this and can't wait to continue with the series. If you want to hear all my thoughts on this book, then stay tuned for my August 2020 Wrap Up Vlog coming soon to my YouTube channel called Completely Melanie. ( )
  Completely_Melanie | Sep 10, 2021 |
I just looooved this book! It's set in a future North America where the West is the Republic of America and what's left of the East are the Colonies of America. Antarctica melted and they lost a lot of land due to rising seas. Africa an Antarctica are now the best parts if the world to live in and are the most technology advanced. The Republic of America and the Colonies are at war (originally due to a fight over needed land, but no one remembers the cause anymore). June is the Republic's Prodigy. She is the only person to ever score a 1500/1500 on the tests kids are forced to take at age 10. These tests assign kids a rank in society. June is going to a top military school to eventually become a top military officer for the Republic. On the other side of the spectrum, there is Day. He's the Republic's rebel. Everyone knows about him all across the country, even though he's never left his hometown of Los Angeles. Some coincidence forces these two unlikely friends into each others lives and omg it's just amazing ( )
  Nikki_Sojkowski | Aug 26, 2021 |
this book was just a fun read.

you know what i mean?

it was one of those reads where the logistics don't matter as much and i didn't think too hard when i was reading. it was just a lot of fun!

i read this book back in middle school and remembered nothing about it, but when i reread it i still thoroughly enjoyed it. even though it came out during the dystopia rush of the early 2010s, it didn't feel too aged. i enjoyed the plot of the book, as well as the subtle worldbuilding (there was no info-dump about the rise of the Republic, but there was enough information so that i felt like i understood the world). plus, unlike foul is fair, although the characters were young (both 15), i didn't feel like their age made me question their actions at all.

i think Day is my favorite character, because Lu doesn't shove him into the stereotype of "strong man cannot show emotions". he has very honest motivations. he's intelligent, but not (too) full of himself. he shows different emotions.

my only complaint is about the pacing of June and Day's relationship. it felt weirdly rushed in the middle, but i didn't hate where their relationship ended up at all. this book got 4 stars because it was entertaining but not world-changing.

plus, the different colored text should be used in different books as well. i definitely want to pick up prodigy at some point soon! - lindsey ( )
  thebookqueensx | Aug 17, 2021 |
Meh. This book struck me as a particularly cynical attempt to cash in on the current young adult craze for dystopian novels. The author claims to have used Les Miserables as the inspiration for this book. I think it is possible that Hugo's great masterpiece could indeed be updated for the dystopian-fiction-loving crowd, but this was not the book that succeeded. Instead, in my opinion, the author wanted to cash in on this literary trend, but lacked the vision to develop her own plot.

I am, by nature, a completist. If I am interested enough to start a new television series I will generally see it through to the bitter end. Likewise, if I read the first book in a series, I will read them all. I'm not sure this book is the first in a series, but I suspect it is. But I have no interest in reading any further installments. ( )
  ltrahms | Jul 13, 2021 |
I liked this book, as a straight action novel was enjoyable, kind of a mash up of The Prince of Persia and the Hunger Games. One gripe I had is that there are a lot of questions about the setting and the plot left for the next books in the series, the end of this book therefore didn't feel like an end, rather just a pause in the story. This book is classified as a young adult novel and is appropriate for that age group but I think that lead to believability problems for me. The Republic seemed like North Korea as run by kids, an oppressive regime where the majority of the population works in primitive factories and can't afford food but when they capture the country's most wanted criminal they put him in a holding cell for prisoners sentenced to death that feels just slightly more secure than a low security hospital room.
  SteveKey | Jan 8, 2021 |
"For My Mother"
My mother thinks I'm dead. Obviously I'm not dead, but it's safer for her to think so.
Not part of the Claudy Conn Legend series.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Marie Lu's book Legend was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,367,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible