Tomorrow, When the War Began (The Tomorrow…

Tomorrow, When the War Began (The Tomorrow Series #1) (original 1993; edition 2006)

by John Marsden

Member:bubble_bee
Title:Tomorrow, When the War Began (The Tomorrow Series #1)
Authors:John Marsden
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2006), Paperback, 304 pages

Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (1993)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    After the First Death by Robert Cormier (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: How acts of war / terrorism impact on young people, and how they react.
    Z for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien (meggyweg)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (selkie_girl, meggyweg)
    selkie_girl: Teenagers are caught in the middle of a war and decide to fight back.
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (LKAYC)
    The Road to Winter by Mark Smith (avatiakh)
    A Small Free Kiss in the Dark by Glenda Millard (kaledrina)
    Fire Will Fall by Carol Plum-Ucci (Maid_Marian)

English (99)  Norwegian (1)  Tagalog (1)  Dutch (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All (103)
I'd never heard of this book until readers on an Amazon board were discussing it. It is a very well known series in Australia, however. I don't read YA very often, but I've been reading dystopian fiction and work set in wartime lately, so I decided to give it a try. I enjoyed it very much. The writing is smooth and crisp and the narrator's voice fits her age and setting.

A group of teenagers go off on a camping trip in a remote area, and when they return home they discover that their small town has been invaded and a war between Australia and another, unnamed, country, has commenced. Most of the town's residents have been imprisoned in a makeshift camp, and many people and animals have been killed. They retreat and try to figure out what to do next; they need to survive, but they also want to find out what has happened to their families. And who are these invaders?

The story is told in the first person by Ellie, who relates their experiences as if she is writing a diary of the events. We get to know all of the rest of the group (7-8 kids), and they are sufficiently different in type and personality that they don't all run together. There's a bit of romance (there are an even number of boys and girls), but the main focus is on the adventure.

If you've read other YA this may not be as fresh and interesting to you, but I thought the plot was intriguing and I was turning the pages to see what happened next. This is the first of a seven-book series, and I don't know how quickly I'll pick up the next one, but I really liked what I read in this installment.

It's an easy book to read, but there's enough going on to keep adults interested. It is definitely written with teenagers in mind, though. ( )
  Sunita_p | Dec 12, 2016 |
So I read this book in high school. It was assigned reading in year nine, and I honestly just didn't like it.

The premise is cool enough, but I didn't enjoy the characters. They were imitations of stereotypical teenagers. Teenagers who... I didn't really know growing up at all. There's an athletic guy, a wealthy, blonde, slim girl and a super-focused, smart, musical Asian kid, and Ellie, the protagonist, I believe.

I just really didn't enjoy it. Feel free to ignore my review, though, I had to read it for school and just didn't enjoy it from start to finish. I read a book by Marsden the previous year, which I will review, and didn't enjoy that one, either. So I really don't think Marsden's writing is for me.

My brother read these around my age and absolutely loved them. It's rare for him to read books - he has ADHD and has trouble focusing on a book unless it's super interesting, so he loved the book and went on to read the whole series.

If this is your style of book, go ahead and read it. He's a prolific Australian author and there are more in the series and then another spin off series called The Ellie Chronicles that might be for you, but this book just was not for me. ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
READ IN DUTCH

There is an edition which includes the first four books of the Tomorrow Series. I first saw the book in 2006 and after that I've been willing to read the book. Unfortunately, I never bought the book, because I thought it was a bit too expensive for a series I completely didn't know yet.

A few weeks ago I went to my library and there it was (I had never seen it there before). Needless to say, I took it home and read it (during my final exams, which was not the best idea I ever had).

The story is about a bunch of teenagers, who happen to be camping while a war breaks out in Australia. Therefore they aren't put together in some sort of camp, but are still free. They become guerrillas in order to free their country...

I read it and I loved it. I liked the way it was written, liked the story. I couldn't put the book aside. For me, it is a 5 star rating, and I immediately started to read the second book of this series. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Interesting take on the dystopian novel. Your neighbor, whom you've had okay relations, decides your country's resources need to be shared for their ever growing nation. Teens getting ready to become adults have one last summer together and head off for s mini outback vacation. When they arrive home, no one is there. All the townies have been corralled like livestock in town, brutally killed if not in compliance. The teens must grow up quickly to take down the bad guys. Red Dawn ala the Aussies. ( )
  weisser4 | May 3, 2016 |
This is the first book in the Tomorrow series by Marsden. There are seven books in that series and all have been released. This was a well done and engaging book about survival and war.

I listened to this on audiobook and the audiobook was really well done. I would definitely recommend listening to this on audiobook if you enjoy audiobooks.

The book is about a group of teens who go out to hike the bush in Australia during school break. When they come back they find that their small Australian town has been taken over by a hostile enemy force. The teens struggle to figure out what has happened without getting captured themselves and also work to survive in this new hostile world.

I really enjoyed the characters and the mystery. This story pretty much just introduces the issue and the characters. The reader slowly finds out more about this hostile group, but much of what is happening remains a mystery.

A lot of the story involves the teens as they struggle with how to deal with the future and survive. Both their struggle with longer term issues (food, water, shelter) and short term issues (not getting captured and getting along with each other).

Marsden writes the story in a way that conveys a lot of urgency and is very engaging. Parts of the book had me on the edge of my seat and holding my breath wondering what would happen next. There is a lot of interesting survival stuff in here as well. Which is something I always find interesting and enjoy reading about.

Nothing is wrapped up in this book, but I enjoyed it enough that I will probably continue reading the series.

Overall this was a very engaging and exciting story. There is a lot of action, survival skills, and mystery. I would recommend to those who enjoy fast-paced books about apocalyptic events, war, and/or survival. This book doesn’t really resolve anything but it does an excellent job of setting the story up. I enjoyed it enough that I will probably continue reading the series. ( )
  krau0098 | Oct 24, 2015 |

John Marsdenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gelder, Molly vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lunde, Jon VegardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my dear sister Robin Farran:
so much admired.
It's only half an hour since someone - Robyn I think - said we should write everything down, and it's only twenty-nine minutes since I got chosen, and for those twenty-nine minutes I've had everyone crowded around me gazing at the blank page and yelling ideas and advice.
The dogs were dead. That was my first thought. They didn't jump around and bark when we drove in, or moan with joy when I ran over to them, like they always had done.

World War III becomes an unstoppable reality in the action-packed first installment of the Tomorrow series--an international bestseller in an eye-catching new paperback.

When Ellie and her friends go camping, they have no idea they're leaving their old lives behind forever. Despite a less-than-tragic food shortage and a secret crush or two, everything goes as planned. But a week later, they return home to find their houses empty and their pets starving. Something has gone wrong--horribly wrong. Before long, they realize the country has been invaded, and the entire town has been captured--including their families and all their friends.
Ellie and the other survivors face an impossible decision: They can flee for the mountains or surrender. Or they can fight.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:33 -0400)

Seven Australian teenagers return from a camping trip in the bush to discover that their country has been invaded and they must hide to stay alive.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,631,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible