Tomorrow, When the War Began (The Tomorrow…

Tomorrow, When the War Began (The Tomorrow Series #1) (original 1993; edition 2006)

by John Marsden

Member:bubble_bee
Title:Tomorrow, When the War Began (The Tomorrow Series #1)
Authors:John Marsden
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2006), Paperback, 304 pages

Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (1993)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (BookLizard)
    BookLizard: The Hunger Games and Tomorrow, When the War Began have the same kind of feel - technically they're Science Fiction novels, but they feel more like survival stories with a bit of romance mixed in. I highly recommend both series.
    After the First Death by Robert Cormier (mybookshelf)
    mybookshelf: How acts of war / terrorism impact on young people, and how they react.
    Z for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien (meggyweg)
    How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (selkie_girl, meggyweg)
    selkie_girl: Teenagers are caught in the middle of a war and decide to fight back.
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (LKAYC)
    The Road to Winter by Mark Smith (avatiakh)
    A Small Free Kiss in the Dark by Glenda Millard (kaledrina)
    Fire Will Fall by Carol Plum-Ucci (Maid_Marian)

English (99)  Norwegian (1)  Tagalog (1)  Dutch (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All (103)
So I read this book in high school. It was assigned reading in year nine, and I honestly just didn't like it.

The premise is cool enough, but I didn't enjoy the characters. They were imitations of stereotypical teenagers. Teenagers who... I didn't really know growing up at all. There's an athletic guy, a wealthy, blonde, slim girl and a super-focused, smart, musical Asian kid, and Ellie, the protagonist, I believe.

I just really didn't enjoy it. Feel free to ignore my review, though, I had to read it for school and just didn't enjoy it from start to finish. I read a book by Marsden the previous year, which I will review, and didn't enjoy that one, either. So I really don't think Marsden's writing is for me.

My brother read these around my age and absolutely loved them. It's rare for him to read books - he has ADHD and has trouble focusing on a book unless it's super interesting, so he loved the book and went on to read the whole series.

If this is your style of book, go ahead and read it. He's a prolific Australian author and there are more in the series and then another spin off series called The Ellie Chronicles that might be for you, but this book just was not for me. ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
READ IN DUTCH

There is an edition which includes the first four books of the Tomorrow Series. I first saw the book in 2006 and after that I've been willing to read the book. Unfortunately, I never bought the book, because I thought it was a bit too expensive for a series I completely didn't know yet.

A few weeks ago I went to my library and there it was (I had never seen it there before). Needless to say, I took it home and read it (during my final exams, which was not the best idea I ever had).

The story is about a bunch of teenagers, who happen to be camping while a war breaks out in Australia. Therefore they aren't put together in some sort of camp, but are still free. They become guerrillas in order to free their country...

I read it and I loved it. I liked the way it was written, liked the story. I couldn't put the book aside. For me, it is a 5 star rating, and I immediately started to read the second book of this series. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Interesting take on the dystopian novel. Your neighbor, whom you've had okay relations, decides your country's resources need to be shared for their ever growing nation. Teens getting ready to become adults have one last summer together and head off for s mini outback vacation. When they arrive home, no one is there. All the townies have been corralled like livestock in town, brutally killed if not in compliance. The teens must grow up quickly to take down the bad guys. Red Dawn ala the Aussies. ( )
  weisser4 | May 3, 2016 |
This is the first book in the Tomorrow series by Marsden. There are seven books in that series and all have been released. This was a well done and engaging book about survival and war.

I listened to this on audiobook and the audiobook was really well done. I would definitely recommend listening to this on audiobook if you enjoy audiobooks.

The book is about a group of teens who go out to hike the bush in Australia during school break. When they come back they find that their small Australian town has been taken over by a hostile enemy force. The teens struggle to figure out what has happened without getting captured themselves and also work to survive in this new hostile world.

I really enjoyed the characters and the mystery. This story pretty much just introduces the issue and the characters. The reader slowly finds out more about this hostile group, but much of what is happening remains a mystery.

A lot of the story involves the teens as they struggle with how to deal with the future and survive. Both their struggle with longer term issues (food, water, shelter) and short term issues (not getting captured and getting along with each other).

Marsden writes the story in a way that conveys a lot of urgency and is very engaging. Parts of the book had me on the edge of my seat and holding my breath wondering what would happen next. There is a lot of interesting survival stuff in here as well. Which is something I always find interesting and enjoy reading about.

Nothing is wrapped up in this book, but I enjoyed it enough that I will probably continue reading the series.

Overall this was a very engaging and exciting story. There is a lot of action, survival skills, and mystery. I would recommend to those who enjoy fast-paced books about apocalyptic events, war, and/or survival. This book doesn’t really resolve anything but it does an excellent job of setting the story up. I enjoyed it enough that I will probably continue reading the series. ( )
  krau0098 | Oct 24, 2015 |
It Began Tomorrow
By Makailah Severn
Tomorrow When the War Begun by John Marsden
Dystopian, Action/Adventure
“Hell isn’t only a place for the damned, sometimes it’s a place where the saved take refuge.”

'Tomorrow When the War Began' is a compelling story filled with adventure, war and a pinch of romance all woven together by the award-winning author John Marsden. Seven teenagers expected to return from a camping trip at 'Hell’ to the lives they left before but what they didn’t expect was empty houses, starving pets and the whole town taken hostage at the showgrounds. The story follows Ellie and her friends as she describes how an ordinary camping trip turned into the fight for their lives.

This story is set in a small, rural, Australian town known as Wirrawee in the 90’s. It demonstrates and highlights life without the technology teenagers today are addicted to, as it emphasises that these seven teenagers- Ellie, Fiona, Robyn, Kevin, Homer, Corrie and Lee- have absolutely no way of communicating with the outside world, no way of knowing that their town was invaded, no way of knowing that their friends and family are safe.

'Tomorrow When the War Began' however is not your typical dystopian book, following that basic storyline: good citizens, bad government but it shows that the world is not black and white. With their lives flipped, the group begins to see things in a new light as all of them but Ellie especially struggle with the notion of ‘evil’ and bad. As the story goes on the teenagers come to understand why soldiers would invade Australia, even if they do not like it. Little is actually mentioned about these invaders, all we know is that they are not English speaking and are from a poor and deprecated country. Even the fact that America only acts in absolutely desperate measures, shows that the author did not have favoured standpoint.

I have to say that my favourite part would have to be when Ellie and Lee find the cash box filled with the story of Bertram Hubert Sexton Christie (aka the Hermit). This part of the story shows that nothing is as simple as it seems. Before coming up to Hell the group had believed the rumours that the Hermit had brutally killed his own family and then ran for refuge at Hell. By reading these papers they discover more of the story that changed their whole perspective of the Hermit.

I believe that any teen would enjoy this book. I don’t think that you can narrow down to just action seekers or lovers of the romance. It’s got war, it’s got romance, it’s got drama, this book is woven with so many different themes that anyone and every teenager would love 'Tomorrow When the War Began.'

'Tomorrow When the War Began' is a fascinating book filled with drama, romance war and action. Who knew that a trip to Hell would save seven teenagers from a living abyss? Will this living abyss ever end? Find out in book two of the Tomorrow series.
“Get Ready. This is Real. This is True. What Will You Do TOMORROW?”
1 vote Makailah | Jul 12, 2015 |

John Marsdenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gelder, Molly vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lunde, Jon VegardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my dear sister Robin Farran:
so much admired.
It's only half an hour since someone - Robyn I think - said we should write everything down, and it's only twenty-nine minutes since I got chosen, and for those twenty-nine minutes I've had everyone crowded around me gazing at the blank page and yelling ideas and advice.
The dogs were dead. That was my first thought. They didn't jump around and bark when we drove in, or moan with joy when I ran over to them, like they always had done.

World War III becomes an unstoppable reality in the action-packed first installment of the Tomorrow series--an international bestseller in an eye-catching new paperback.

When Ellie and her friends go camping, they have no idea they're leaving their old lives behind forever. Despite a less-than-tragic food shortage and a secret crush or two, everything goes as planned. But a week later, they return home to find their houses empty and their pets starving. Something has gone wrong--horribly wrong. Before long, they realize the country has been invaded, and the entire town has been captured--including their families and all their friends.
Ellie and the other survivors face an impossible decision: They can flee for the mountains or surrender. Or they can fight.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:33 -0400)

Seven Australian teenagers return from a camping trip in the bush to discover that their country has been invaded and they must hide to stay alive.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,789,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible