The Big Book of Adventure Stories (Vintage…

The Big Book of Adventure Stories (Vintage Original) (2011)

by Otto Penzler

Other authors: Achmed Abdullah (Contributor), H. Bedford-Jones (Contributor), Loring Brent (Contributor), Arthur Gilchrist Brodeur (Contributor), Elmer Brown Mason (Contributor)43 more, John Buchan (Contributor), James Anson Buck (Contributor), Edgar Rice Burroughs (Contributor), Richard Connell (Contributor), Ray Cummings (Contributor), Lester Dent (Contributor), George Fielding Eliot (Contributor), Philip Jose Farmer (Contributor), L. Patrick Greene (Contributor), H. Rider Haggard (Contributor), O. Henry (Contributor), Geoffrey Household (Contributor), Robert E. Howard (Contributor), Gabriel Hunt (Contributor), Rudyard Kipling (Contributor), Damon Knight (Contributor), Harold Lamb (Contributor), Louis L’Amour (Contributor), Fritz Leiber (Contributor), Jack London (Contributor), Alistair MacLean (Contributor), Johnston McCulley (Contributor), H. C. McNeile (Contributor), Clarence E. Mulford (Contributor), Talbot Mundy (Contributor), Philip Francis Nowlan (Contributor), Baroness Orczy (Contributor), Frank L. Packard (Contributor), Douglas Preston (Foreword), Sax Rohmer (Contributor), Theodore Roscoe (Contributor), Rafael Sabatini (Contributor), Saki (Contributor), Clark Ashton Smith (Contributor), Carl Stephenson (Contributor), Grant Stockbridge (Contributor), Georges Surdez (Contributor), Edgar Wallace (Contributor), H. G. Wells (Contributor), Alexander Woollcott (Contributor), Cornell Woolrich (Contributor), George F. Worts (Contributor), P. C. Wren (Contributor)

I've read a great many of these stories either as ebooks or in other collections, but for anyone looking for some good solid grounding in the non-fantastic pulp stories of the past, I would happily recommend it!

Now if I could just find a dozen copies of these on the cheap, I'd happily bundle them up as holiday gifts for many folks who haven't read enough pulp but are fans of the modern genres spawned from them..... ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
Fun, fun, fun.

Look, I’m not going to lie to you and tell you that this contains the great literature of our time. What I am going to tell you is that this collection contains a lot of fun reads. Penzler has brought together a collection of adventure stories that span an incredible gamut of genres – all under the heading of “adventure”. Westerns, sword and sorcery, science fiction, jungles, oceans, deserts, spies – it is all here.

Stories by famous authors such as Harold Lamb, Fritz Lieber, Rudyard Kipling, Saki, H. G. Wells, O. Henry, Damon Knight, Alistair MacLean, Edgar Rice Burroughs. Stories that are about famous characters (often the origin stories) such as Tarzan, Conan, the Cisco Kid, Zorro, Sheena, the Scarlet Pimpernel, Hopalong Cassidy. Stories by people you should know but probably don’t. Stories you should have read but probably haven’t. Just the wildest collection of action and adventure stories you have ever seen.

Again, I’m not going to say they are all fantastic. For example, Conan’s origin story is only so-so. But, if that is the worst I can find to say, then it must be a pretty fine collection. To put it in perspective, I was almost half way through the book before I hit a story that made me say “Wish I hadn’t wasted my time.” Again, not saying they ones before were great literature, but they were fun reads.

(Have to throw this in. I’m not sure how Philip Jose Farmer’s “After King Kong Fell” wound up in this collection, but I’m not going to complain – this is one of the great stories of all time.

I’ve said it before; I’ll say it again – this is a fun collection of stories and, if you want to remember the sheer fun of reading, you will want to read this book. You will not be sorry. ( )
1 vote figre | Jun 25, 2012 |

Woolrich, CornellContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Worts, George F.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wren, P. C.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
DeSoto, RafaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 030747450X, Paperback)

A hair-raising collection of adventure stories that's so big and enthralling if you open it you may never be seen again: enter at your own risk.

Everyone loves adventure, and Otto Penzler has collected the best adventure stories of all time into one mammoth volume. With stories by Jack London, O. Henry, H. Rider Haggard, Alastair MacLean, Talbot Mundy, Cornell Woolrich, and many others, this wide-reaching and fascinating volume contains some of the best characters from the most thrilling adventure tales, including The Cisco Kid; Sheena, Queen of the Jungle; Bulldog Drummond; Tarzan; The Scarlet Pimpernel; Conan the Barbarian; Hopalong Cassidy; King Kong; Zorro; and The Spider. Divided into sections that embody the greatest themes of the genre—Sword & Sorcery, Megalomania Rules, Man vs. Nature, Island Paradise, Sand and Sun, Something Feels Funny, Go West Young Man, Future Shock, I Spy, Yellow Peril, In Darkest Africa—it is destined to be the greatest collection of adventure stories ever compiled.

Featuring:

Feverish jungle adventures

Including:

The story that introduced The Cisco Kid

The complete novel of Tarzan the Terrible

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:14 -0400)

A collection of adventure stories set in exotic locales throughout the world includes stories by such leading authors as Jack London, Rudyard Kipling, and H. G. Wells.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,904,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible