Zauber der Schlange: Die Belgariad-Saga, Bd.…

Zauber der Schlange: Die Belgariad-Saga, Bd. 2 (edition 2005)

by David Eddings (Author)

A farm boy becomes involved in the struggle to recover the powerful Orb of Aldur and prevent the evil God Torak from taking control of the world.
Member:juemka
Title:Zauber der Schlange: Die Belgariad-Saga, Bd. 2
Authors:David Eddings (Author)
Info:Bastei Lübbe (Bastei Verlag) (2005), Edition: 7, 378 pages

Work Information

Queen of Sorcery by David Eddings

English (50)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (56)
Queen of Sorcery is the second book in The Belgariad by David Eddings. I enjoyed this a little more than the first book and I'm giving it a full 4 stars instead of 3.5 stars rounded up. It still had some of the same aspects I complained about in the first book, but my investment in the story and the characters continued to grow so that I wasn’t as bothered by the more irritating aspects. No doubt part of it is that I’ve gotten more used to the style.

The main character, Garion, still seems immature for his age and Aunt Pol and “Wolf” still hold back information in situations where it doesn’t make sense. For example, they failed to tell Garion not to take off the amulet he’d been given, nor did they tell him why he shouldn’t, and so of course he takes it off and suffers the consequences. If they didn’t want to tell him everything about the amulet, they could have at least told him it would protect him from further attempts at mind control and I’m sure he would have kept it on. There’s also the weird tendency to give groups of people from the same region the same personality characteristics. Some of the main characters will say, “people from Region X all do Y”, and then any characters we meet from Region X are portrayed as described with very little nuance.

It’s easier for me to explain specific issues that I find to complain about though, and harder to explain why I’m still enjoying the story enough to rate it highly. I really like the characters, including the new ones introduced in this book, and I like their interactions with each other. I’m also enjoying the story, even though I wish it were a little more complex, and I look forward to seeing what happens in the next book. ( )
  YouKneeK | Oct 21, 2021 |
Many people think David Eddings is overly formulaic which he is a bit but since I enjoy the tale he tells I do not mind reading it over again. His characters always have great humor at their core and you cannot beat a good epic tale for entertainment value. This particular book is one of my favorites by him. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
Book 2 in the Belgariad series. Lots of family drama going on here as Garion finds out he descends from Polgara and Belgarath and his power begins to overwhelm him. Some great new characters are introduced-I especially liked Mandorallen, he gives me good laughs.

Simple. easy to read old time fantasy. However, towards the end (which my buddy reader loved) it got a bit hokey for me. Nothing that would put me off from continuing the series though. It was, after all, written in 1982 and it was Eddings first dip into fantasy writing. ( )
  JBroda | Sep 24, 2021 |
The quality is already starting to slip in this second volume of The Belgariad. There's still plenty of adventure on the road, but the addition of the token females -- princess Ce'Nedra and the stereotypical sensual temptress snake woman Salmissra -- detract from the strong female character of Polgara. Garion acts like an idiot, and Belgarath runs into lots of old friends. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
Book two of a wonderful series. Lots of interesting characters and interplay. Advances the macro story nicely. ( )
  Whiskey3pa | Sep 20, 2020 |

Reggiani, CesareCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwinger,LaurenceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shapiro, ShellyCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Helen, who gave me the most precious thing in my life, and for Mike, who taught me how to play.
Being an Account of the Battle of the Kingdoms of the West against the most heinous Invasion and Evil of Kal Torak.
- based upon The Battle of Vo Mimbre

In the youth of the world, the evil God Torak stole the Orb of Aldur and fled, seeking dominion.
Vo Wacune was no more.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,534,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible