QUEEN OF SORCERY (Eddings, David. , the…

QUEEN OF SORCERY (Eddings, David. , the Belgariad, Bk. 2.) (edition 1982)

by David Eddings

A farm boy becomes involved in the struggle to recover the powerful Orb of Aldur and prevent the evil God Torak from taking control of the world.
Member:MaWhit
Title:QUEEN OF SORCERY (Eddings, David. , the Belgariad, Bk. 2.)
Authors:David Eddings
Info:Del Rey (1982), Mass Market Paperback, 327 pages

Queen of Sorcery by David Eddings

Recently added bySkellebob, shotwell.librarium, private library, dopple42, mils, stephalepsy, Eddie157, hueyy, bgraber

English (47)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (53)
The quality is already starting to slip in this second volume of The Belgariad. There's still plenty of adventure on the road, but the addition of the token females -- princess Ce'Nedra and the stereotypical sensual temptress snake woman Salmissra -- detract from the strong female character of Polgara. Garion acts like an idiot, and Belgarath runs into lots of old friends. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
Book two of a wonderful series. Lots of interesting characters and interplay. Advances the macro story nicely. ( )
  Whiskey3pa | Sep 20, 2020 |
Book two follows the same path as book one, it didn’t actually start getting interesting until the later half of part 2.

There seems to be a ton of filler information in this series, I understand traveling across the land and coming across other kingdoms but it just starts to feel bogged down when you are always dealing with a new kingdom and their problems. I understand it’s worldbuilding, but I’m at the point where I don’t know what’s suppose to be really important and what’s just passing information.

There was a bit more character development for everyone, and Garion has moved away from coming across as sassy, to just being angry and rude, but honestly I don’t blame the guy. Everyone spends more time telling him to not worry and refusing to explain anything to him, that it makes sense for him to start to get annoyed with it. Although his shyness around girls is adorable. And this extends to Durnik and his “prude” viewings of women, he is adorable when he is around an “ill” dressed woman, although if Polgara and him don’t end up together I might be upset, their interactions are so sweet.

There was also a few new characters who joined the group, but once again I sometimes feel like certain members become background characters in this group, mainly Durnik and Hetter, it’s like they are only visible when needed and it’s frustrating.

So far I feel like the story is more focused on building the world instead of building Garion. There are so many conversations that he is excluded from, and so much focuses on Belgarath and Polgara and their conversations with other Kings and queens and so fourth. Each time the story does start to focus more on Garion it’s at the end and goes by so quickly. You have to trudge through mud to get to the more interesting parts of this story.

Also it wasn’t until the end of this book that I started to understand that some of the races in this book are animal-like, which is cool, I just wish it was a bit more evident. It shouldn’t have taken me two books to understand that not every race was “human” in nature. Just a small thing that bothers me. ( )
  SweetKokoro | Jul 31, 2020 |
April 2020 Reread: Continuing on my Belgariad reread is such a treat. No matter what else is going on in the world, this series can absolutely take me away from it all. It's a relaxing and pleasant read even as I cringe at how much of a brat Garion is in this one! Review from 2012 below.

---------

Zedar the Apostate has stolen the Orb of Aldur in hopes of awakening the evil god Torak. Belgarath and Polgara are determined to take back the Orb before this god can be awakened and hope to avert a war. Along the way the party is joined by Hettar of Algaria, a man who can speak with horses, Sir Mandorallen, a Mibrate knight, Ce'Nedra, Imperial Princess of Tolnedra, and for a short while Lelldorin, an Asturian archer.

Queen of Sorcery is the second book of The Belgariad and picks up a couple of weeks after the end of Pawn of Prophecy. The cast of characters begins to grow and each is given a bit of background and small characterization. Ce'Nedra is easily the most fleshed out of the new additions and adds quite a bit of drama to the group, as a teenage girl might. We also get to see three new areas of the world and are given a broader idea of its people.

The pacing on this book is better than the first and the story becomes more cohesive for me. It is also the first time we see a character start to arc: Garion must face the truth of his heritage and accept the powers that control the party's fate. ( )
  Narilka | Apr 7, 2020 |
De eerste helft van het boek viel me tegen. Het was weer meer van hetzelfde uit boek 1. [b:De Voorspelling|2947419|De Voorspelling (De Kronieken van Belgarion, #1)|David Eddings|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1369500021s/2947419.jpg|2558293]. De groep reist, komen vijanden tegen, Silk doet het een of ander, en ze komen weg... en dan weer reizen, vijanden, Silk die iets doet... enzovoort. Gelukkig heb ik de eerste helft van het boek doorgeworsteld, want de tweede helft was vele malen beter. De plot werd interessanter nu er nieuwe informatie over Garion beschikbaar kwam

Ik heb nog wel wat punten:

1) De karakter Garion lijkt weinig zelf-kennis te bezitten. Hoewel dit boek duidelijk vanuit zijn gezichtspunt is geschreven is het gebrek aan ideeën en emoties maken hem tot een vlak personage.

2) Mensen die tot een bepaalde ras of land of gebied behoren hebben allemaal dezelfde personaliteit, zwakheden etc. Misschien is dit iets wat bij Fantasy hoort, want je ziet het ook bij andere boeken, maar ook binnen dit soort groepen zou het best wel meer individualistiser kunnen.

EdwinKort | Oct 18, 2019 |

Reggiani, CesareCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwinger,LaurenceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shapiro, ShellyCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Helen, who gave me the most precious thing in my life, and for Mike, who taught me how to play.
Being an Account of the Battle of the Kingdoms of the West against the most heinous Invasion and Evil of Kal Torak.
- based upon The Battle of Vo Mimbre

In the youth of the world, the evil God Torak stole the Orb of Aldur and fled, seeking dominion.
Vo Wacune was no more.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,336,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible