Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Gillian Flynn

14,0631222247 (3.86)4 / 981
Member:TheCriticalTimes
Title:Gone Girl
Authors:Gillian Flynn
Info:Crown (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 432 pages
Collections:Loaned from Library
Rating:***

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (2012)

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (Anonymous user)
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (timmeloche)
    timmeloche: I found similarities in that the narration tends to be unreliable. I also disliked the characters but thoroughly enjoyed the book.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler (Lirmac)
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    Painkiller by N. J. Fountain (Roro8)
    Local Girl Missing by Claire Douglas (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both novels have multiple points of view, an unreliable narrator, and a complex, clever plot, but only Gone Girl is stuffed with filthy language.
    In the Woods by Tana French (Ling.Lass)
    Ling.Lass: Unreliable narrators, psychopaths, unsympathetic characters who miss their chance at redemption
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff (buchowl)

English (1,198)  Dutch (5)  Catalan (4)  German (4)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,222)
About 1/3 of the way through, I thought, "why am I reading this?" Fortunately the book got better. It's not the best book I've ever read, but it's not the worst, either. It was an interesting psychological thriller, and I understand why it's gotten raves, but it left me feeling a little bit meh. ( )
  PaulaNoakes | Aug 13, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this novel, it has a nice twist in it and has a really great kind of uncomfortable atmosphere. I found it really gripping, a real page-turner.

Flynn takes the idea of the unreliable narrator to the max, making all narrators completely unreliable, which keeps you on your toes and always makes you wonder what is true and what isn't. I did find the ending a bit unsatisfying, but also feel like it really couldn't have ended any other way... ( )
  Britt84 | Aug 4, 2018 |
I loved this book. Up to the point that this was released, there weren't a ton of mystery/thrillers on the market that attempted to have huge plot twists like this one. When this came out, I had a librarian friend who read it and then passed it off to an English teacher friend who read it, and both of them couldn't put it down. So I grabbed a copy and at the halfway point, a bomb dropped and everything I thought I knew was turned upside down. Such a great thriller with a huge plot twist and really an example of the unreliable narrator. Highly recommend. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 2, 2018 |
Quando saltei para a leitura deste livro (foi lido para uma leitura conjunta) estava tudo menos entusiasmada. Algures na minha mente tinha-me convencido que tanto burburinho em torno de uma autora americana pouco conhecida só poderia ser mais um daqueles casos de sucesso de "muita parra e pouca uva" e não estava com vontade de ler algo que toda a gente andava a ler. O livro "da moda", por assim dizer.
Agora, olhando em perspectiva, enquanto escrevo esta opinião vários meses depois de o ter lido, chego à conclusão que foi uma das leituras mais marcantes do ano e ainda bem que a fiz. Não é um livro confortável, pelo contrário: houve momentos em que tive de intercalar com outras leituras porque não aguentava tanto "pensamento mau", apetecia-me tomar duches depois de ler certas passagens de tão suja que me fazia sentir. No entanto impressionou-me e dou os meus parabéns à Gillian Flynn por ter tido a audácia de verbalizar tantos pensamentos feios que nós mulheres por vezes temos mas somos incapazes de os admitir.
A estrutura da história é deliberadamente repartida entre Nick e o diário da Amy dando-nos duas perspectivas aparentemente opostas sobre o mesmo problema: um casal em crise, numa sociedade com a sua economia e valores em profunda decadência. Em quem acreditar? Amy ou Nick? Enquanto lemos e ponderamos a nossa decisão, Gillian Flynn apresenta um dos melhores livros sobre a nossa realidade contemporânea: fala sobre a crise económica, as consequências reais que esta teve sobre as famílias, as cidades, o país. Faz-nos pensar na nossa geração, na geração dos nossos pais e na geração dos nossos filhos.
Também gostei do seu estilo de escrita: é rico e visual mas, acima de tudo, destemido. É apresentado um buffet de personagens que são complexas, repulsivas e ao mesmo tempo cativantes apesar de assustadoras, todas elas dentro de uma situação que se vai revelando ao leitor por partes como matrioskas. Os segredos e a manipulação, a violência psicológica (e também alguma física) incomodam mas é a natureza intima de toda a situação que mais perturba ao ler este "Gone Girl". ( )
  Telma_tx | Jul 30, 2018 |
Amy and Nick think they are the perfect couple and they work really hard at that image. This story is told from each view point...or so you think...I found myself thinking I had figured out the story behind Amy's disappearance three times and each time I was wrong...then I was right. I actually found myself sympathizing with both characters,but one was really evil, or so I thought, but I was wrong, then I was right. Enough said...this is an great story....I couldn't put it down. I was thinking, oh my goodness these are really sad characters who deserve each other. The ending....well, I love the last line of dialogue....it says it all. ( )
  almin | Jul 29, 2018 |
Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.
I don’t know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. It we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script.
I'm a big fan of the lie of omission.
I hated Nick for being surprised when I became me.
You are an average, lazy, boring, cowardly, woman-fearing man. Without me, that’s what you would have kept on being, ad nauseam. But I made you into something. You were the best man you’ve ever been with me. And you know it.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy's fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations made when Nick's clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-year Nick isn't doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife's head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from police and the media -- as well as Amy's fiercely doting parents -- the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he's definitely bitter -- but is he really a killer? As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they really know the one they love.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,013,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible