Gone Girl (Movie Tie-In Edition): A Novel by…

Gone Girl (Movie Tie-In Edition): A Novel (edition 2014)

by Gillian Flynn (Author)

17,8621416204 (3.86)4 / 1044
On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)
Member:Sami-Whitt
Title:Gone Girl (Movie Tie-In Edition): A Novel
Authors:Gillian Flynn (Author)
Info:Broadway Books (2014), Edition: Media Tie In, 432 pages

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (Anonymous user)
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
    Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (timmeloche)
    timmeloche: I found similarities in that the narration tends to be unreliable. I also disliked the characters but thoroughly enjoyed the book.
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Tampa by Alissa Nutting (ligature)
    ligature: Gripping and dark.
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler (Lirmac)
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    Local Girl Missing by Claire Douglas (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both novels have multiple points of view, an unreliable narrator, and a complex, clever plot, but only Gone Girl is stuffed with filthy language.
    The Wives by Tarryn Fisher (dara85)
    dara85: This had the feel as Gone Girl.
    The Echo Wife by Sarah Gailey (zembla)
    zembla: Domestic thrillers focused on relationship dynamics and juicy themes.
    Painkiller by N. J. Fountain (Roro8)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    In the Woods by Tana French (Ling.Lass)
    Ling.Lass: Unreliable narrators, psychopaths, unsympathetic characters who miss their chance at redemption
    A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen (lucy.depalma)
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff (buchowl)

English (1,385)  Dutch (6)  French (4)  Catalan (4)  German (3)  Hungarian (2)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,412)
The deliciously dark US crime thriller that launched a thousand imitators and took the concept of the unreliable narrator to new heights. A woman disappears: we think we know whodunit, but we’re wrong. Flynn’s stylishly written portrait of a toxic marriage set against a backdrop of social and economic insecurity combines psychological depth with sheer unputdownable flair.
  lubaba.hashmi | Oct 18, 2021 |
Addictively good. Couldn't put it down. Totally messed up but amazing. ( )
  nosborm | Oct 10, 2021 |
It’s just not worth it to read this book. It's relentlessly and purposefully negative (you don’t really need that kind of negativity in your life). The only thing that kept me reading through the 500 pages of negativity was the need to know whodunit. Although I did learn that, the ending was such a disappointing let-down. If you really must know, just check out Wikipedia and skip both the book and the movie (unless you really must see Ben Affleck, but don’t say I didn’t warn you.) ( )
  astronomist | Oct 3, 2021 |
This novel is cleverly written and surprising. The whole action feels like a timed bomb about to go off. Even though I was spoiled for the end I could still enjoy the story and Amy and Nick's characters were incredibly well done with the dynamic and cunning of two spiders in the same web.
Flynn managed to surprise me every time, even when I thought I had it all figured out...
Amazing! ( )
  _Marcia_94_ | Sep 21, 2021 |
WHHAAAATTTTT.

Gone Girl made me so angry and exhausted, in the best way possible. I don't read suspenseful books very often, and while I had an inkling of an idea how the story would end, I couldn't have guessed all the twists and turns that got me there. These are some vengeful characters and there really isn't anyone to like in the book (I don't find it necessary to like the characters to enjoy the book). They were who they needed to be to produce such an addicting read. ( )
  CarleyShea | Sep 16, 2021 |
Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graziosi, FrancescoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zani, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.
I don’t know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. It we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script.
I'm a big fan of the lie of omission.
I hated Nick for being surprised when I became me.
You are an average, lazy, boring, cowardly, woman-fearing man. Without me, that’s what you would have kept on being, ad nauseam. But I made you into something. You were the best man you’ve ever been with me. And you know it.
It’s a very difficult era in which to be a person, just a real, actual person, instead of a collection of personality traits selected from an endless Automat of characters.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,429,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible