Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone Girl (edition 2014)

by Gillian Flynn (Author)

17,8791409199 (3.86)4 / 1044
On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)
Member:Hannah17C
Title:Gone Girl
Authors:Gillian Flynn (Author)
Info:Crown (2014), Edition: Reprint, 422 pages

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (Anonymous user)
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
    Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (timmeloche)
    timmeloche: I found similarities in that the narration tends to be unreliable. I also disliked the characters but thoroughly enjoyed the book.
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Tampa by Alissa Nutting (ligature)
    ligature: Gripping and dark.
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler (Lirmac)
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    Local Girl Missing by Claire Douglas (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both novels have multiple points of view, an unreliable narrator, and a complex, clever plot, but only Gone Girl is stuffed with filthy language.
    The Echo Wife by Sarah Gailey (zembla)
    zembla: Domestic thrillers focused on relationship dynamics and juicy themes.
    A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen (lucy.depalma)
    The Wives by Tarryn Fisher (dara85)
    dara85: This had the feel as Gone Girl.
    Painkiller by N. J. Fountain (Roro8)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    In the Woods by Tana French (Ling.Lass)
    Ling.Lass: Unreliable narrators, psychopaths, unsympathetic characters who miss their chance at redemption
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.
    Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff (buchowl)

English (1,382)  Dutch (6)  French (4)  Catalan (4)  German (3)  Hungarian (2)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,409)
WHHAAAATTTTT.

Gone Girl made me so angry and exhausted, in the best way possible. I don't read suspenseful books very often, and while I had an inkling of an idea how the story would end, I couldn't have guessed all the twists and turns that got me there. These are some vengeful characters and there really isn't anyone to like in the book (I don't find it necessary to like the characters to enjoy the book). They were who they needed to be to produce such an addicting read. ( )
  CarleyShea | Sep 16, 2021 |
It was perhaps a mistake to embark on a novel which is, one way or another, centered on a tumultuous marriage, particularly when your own marriage is somewhat tumultuous. Still, I suppose it speaks to the relatability of the novel that, despite its bizarre and extreme circumstances, the story nonetheless is depressingly familiar in its characterisation of relationship struggles.

On to GONE GIRL: a book I initially read for market research purposes, but was genuinely impressed by.

NB: This review will be rife with spoilers and deconstruction, so if you--like I--have somehow dodged this book and its subsequent film until now, don't read any further. Regardless of what you think of the plot twists, the experience of this novel will certainly be spoilt by knowing them in advance.

Donald Maass, in his non-fiction craft book "The Emotional Craft of Fiction", described Gone Girl has having one of the best plot twists in modern times, but the "mega" plot twist itself was lack-lustre for me. It's not so much that I even saw it coming, as I had actually assumed from the start that the plot would take this shape (ie, that the woman was faking her own death). I assumed this due to the length of the book, and the fact that if she really were dead, the novel would have to be significantly shorter than it was. From a plot perspective, I wasn't hugely wowed.

The characterisations of the two POVs were brilliant, though. Neither were remotely likable, and there are few things I enjoy more than miserable nasty bastards done well. Check that box, and then check it a few more times. Amy is breathtakingly vile, and her husband is a bottomless pit of unsatisfying Mediocre Man with a heavy dash of self awareness. Together, they are a pretty little car crash you can't look away from.

In short, there was a lot to like (or to enjoy disliking, depending on your point of view) and I inhaled the novel in just over a day. The crux of this review, as my reviews so often seem to do, comes down to this: why 4 stars, and not 5?

A few different things stood out to me. Not enough to spoil my enjoyment in a significant way, but enough to knock a star off an otherwise very engaging book.

Forensics--probably is straightforward to say that they aren't particularly accurate >.> but I mostly overlook that kind of thing in these books, since I'm not a scientist, so it doesn't bug me.

The lying of the MCs. In crime fiction you have this golden rule about first person perspectives and how much they're allowed to obfuscate from the reader; this is the reason why Sherlock Holmes is narrated by Watson, and Poirot is narrated by Hastings, for example, or else kept to third person for each of those. When you have a character who is deliberately withholding information, it creates false tension. I wasn't keen on Nick's false tension.

The reason it works to do that with a sidekick is it creates character tension between the detective and sidekick, which we are privy to, rather than being in direct conflict with the narrator. And the reason it DOESN'T work in most other cases is the narrator can just withhold indefinitely. It's cheating, you might say. There's quite a lot I could go on about with this subject to explain my pov and clarify this, but I don't want to waffle on endlessly. Suffice to say the topic of how much a narrator can conceal from the audience, and why, is deeply interesting to this nerdy supergeek--and probably a bit outside the scope of just a review.

The salient point is that plot reveals occurred not through clever construction, but through frequent obfuscation. It's hard for me to explain concisely exactly what I mean but effect was very staged. I give Amy a pass because her diary was supposed to conceal, but I am unclear on who the narrator is supposed to be, for Nick.

Pacing wise, I found the first half a little slow, and the second half slightly padded. This may be personal preference, though, and overall the structure worked. I am just very picky and like a tight, leak-free novel when possible.

Sunyidean | Sep 7, 2021 |
My only criticism of the book is that it has an overabundance of flawed characters who were available at the right time and place for the exploitation of main characters in the story.

Apart from this very convenient plotting tool the story had all the right ingredients of a bestseller. Pace, alternate viewpoints between victim and suspect, and chapter cliff-hangers at regular intervals. The reader has to peel away the layers of each character as they tell their story, sort though truths, lies and diabolical mindsets, while surprises never stop up to the last few pages.

It is a fictional, over-the-top, study of love and marriage gone toxic. Do we really know the person we are married to? Is the image they have shown us in the first flush of love their true self, or is it just a mask? This is a question the novel grapples with, when Nick Dunne's wife Amy disappears on their fifth anniversary. Things do not look good for Nick as every clue uncovered points that he had murdered her.

Great holiday read because once you start you cannot stop. ( )
  moukayedr | Sep 5, 2021 |
I really enjoyed the first half and the wrap up of this book. I have to say, some of the observances Flynn makes about relationships is amazing and so spot-on. And while I didn't hate the second half, I found it a touch hard to swallow at times, but overall, this is absolutely worth the read. As are Sharp Objects and Dark Places, Flynn's other two novels. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
Abandoned reading at 10% in, could not get into the book
  jhavens12 | Sep 1, 2021 |
Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graziosi, FrancescoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zani, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.
I don’t know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. It we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script.
I'm a big fan of the lie of omission.
I hated Nick for being surprised when I became me.
You are an average, lazy, boring, cowardly, woman-fearing man. Without me, that’s what you would have kept on being, ad nauseam. But I made you into something. You were the best man you’ve ever been with me. And you know it.
It’s a very difficult era in which to be a person, just a real, actual person, instead of a collection of personality traits selected from an endless Automat of characters.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,220,295 books! | Top bar: Always visible