Theft of Swords, Vol. 1(Riyria Revelations)…

Theft of Swords, Vol. 1(Riyria Revelations) (The Riyria Revelations, 1) (edition 2011)

by Michael J. Sullivan (Author)

"Two thieves in the wrong place at the wrong time are on the run in this fact-paced adventure fantasy"--Provided by publisher.
Member:sanchita19
Title:Theft of Swords, Vol. 1(Riyria Revelations) (The Riyria Revelations, 1)
Authors:Michael J. Sullivan (Author)
Info:Orbit (2011), Edition: Illustrated, 704 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:fantasy

Work Information

Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan

What a wonderful book! And so full of humour, which is rather rare in fantasy.

I finished it late last night, then immediately went to buy the next sequels.
It's a great story with a fantastic plot and characters that aren't shallow, but three dimensional.

We get to know that there is an ancient language, but we aren't regaled with that, so there aren't lots and lots of passages written in that language, just a word or two here and there.

Tim Gerard Reynolds is the perfect fit for this story. I was again impressed with his narration, it is so beautifully done.
A friend of mine had written in her review that she couldn't stop listening, and I should have heeded her 'warning', because it was the same here. It's not a book you can fall asleep to, so I spent one sleepless night (I made a lot of progress with my knitting, though :D) ( )
  Belana | Dec 15, 2021 |
Finished the first book, "The crown conspiracy", and I'm giving it 4 stars.
I can't wait to read Avempartha to see what Hadrian and Royce are going to do.
I really liked Sullivan's writing for its conciseness and efficiency. Nevertheless it's an introductory book with a simple plot, but very good characterisation and worldbuilding. Since the the first book has around 3oo pages, I'd say he's done a great job. I'm sure we are going to discover more in the second book.

3.75 stars for the second book.
I found the second part more focused on characterization than plot, but I enjoy it nonetheless. ( )
  Sara_Lucario | Oct 19, 2021 |
Sullivan, Michael J. Theft of Swords. Riyria Revelations Nos. 1-2, Orbit, 2011.
Theft of Swords is the combined title for the first two novels of a well-told sword and sandal adventure with the requisite number of dwarves, elves, monsters, feuding aristocrats, endangered villages, suspicious clergy, wizards, and spooky towers. To complain that we have seen it all before would be like complaining that space opera has spaceships. Novels like these do not depend on set dressing, though fans may complain if they are internally inconsistent. Pacing is important, and Michael Sullivan handles it well—the world-building never gets in the way of the action. The cast of characters is also important. Again, we have seen their like before, but our two sword-slinging hero thieves are drawn well with just enough back story to almost prepare for the surprise revelations about them, especially in the second novel. The minor characters are not bad, though secondary characters tend to get lost as the plot complications push them aside. The opening novel has a much tighter focus than the second. The first read very quickly, but the second dragged a bit. I really enjoyed the secondary character of the innocent librarian monk with a photographic memory and wish he had played a bigger part in book two. I am always happy to see self-published writers like Sullivan find a publisher who will take a chance on them. 4 stars. ( )
  Tom-e | Aug 25, 2021 |
I thought this was a fun start to a new series. Hadrian and Royce are a pair of contemporary Fafhrd and Grey Mouser type characters in a well conceived world. I really enjoyed their adventures, misadventures and the general plot. This is a 2 book omnibus of the first 2 books in the Riyria Revelations series, which makes sense as the two of them together call themselves Ryria. ( )
  Karlstar | Jul 24, 2021 |
OK, probably a 4.5 to be truthful. Good adventure story, with excellent lead characters, who are portrayed as mercenaries, even though they are of high morals: Hadrian Blackwater, a top caliber swordsman, and Royce Melborn, a thief from a fabled sect. First they are hired to recover a sword and become patsies for regicide in the first of two stories; however, they rescue the prince and go off to seek the truth. Then, in the second story, they work for next-to-nothing to save a heart-broken father and their village from a conjured demon. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |

Michael J. Sullivanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reynolds, Tim GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wife, Robin, my partner in life and in the adventure of making this series, whose hard work and dedication made it all possible.

To my daughter Sarah, who would not read the story until it was published.

To Steve Gilllick for his feedback, and Pete DeBrule, who started this whole thing

And to the members of Dragonchow, my original fan club
Hadrian could see little in the darkness, but he could hear them -- the sanpping of twigs, the crush of leaves, and the brush of grass.
Includes The Crown Conspiracy (first published Oct. 1, 2008) and Avempartha (first published Mar 31, 2009).

Royce Melborn, a skilled thief, and his mercenary partner, Hadrian Blackwater, make a profitable living carrying out dangerous assignments for conspiring nobles-until they are hired to pilfer a famed sword. What appears to be just a simple job finds them framed for the murder of the king and trapped in a conspiracy that uncovers a plot far greater than the mere overthrow of a tiny kingdom.

Can a self-serving thief and an idealistic swordsman survive long enough to unravel the first part of an ancient mystery that has toppled kings and destroyed empires?

And so begins the first tale of treachery and adventure, sword fighting and magic, myth and legend.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Michael J. Sullivan's book Theft of Swords was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Michael J. Sullivan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,318,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible