Rise of Empire (Riyria Revelations box set…

Rise of Empire (Riyria Revelations box set Book 2) (edition 2011)

by Michael J. Sullivan (Author)

"The birth of the Nyphron Empire has brought war to Melengar. To save her kingdom, Princess Arista runs a desperate gamble when she defies her brother and hires Royce and Hadrian to perform a dangerous mission behind enemy lines"--Provided by publisher.
Member:mifoley119
Title:Rise of Empire (Riyria Revelations box set Book 2)
Authors:Michael J. Sullivan (Author)
Info:Orbit (2011), Edition: 1, 802 pages

Rise of Empire by Michael J. Sullivan

I wish I head read this sooner after Theft of Swords. Hadrian and Royce must both deal with their pasts in Hintindar and Colnora, respectively, as they battle against the hegemony of evil leaders of the Nyphron Church, who have ordained Thrace (now called Modina) as Empress. Princess Arista really comes into her own in these books as a powerful leader and sorceress. But, it is Hadrian and Royce, whose character and morals, form the core of this truly excellent addition to the fantasy genre. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
It took me a while to get into this series. I loved Riyria Chronicles, which evidently benefitted from Sullivan's experience because this series isn't as easy to fall in love with. I was especially frustrated with the female characters who are weak and lost and often carried along by male characters, both kind and cruel ones.

Still, the world building is amazing - a full and complete world fleshed out historically, politically, geographically, and culturally. There are many, many more books that could be told in the Empire and I look forward to reading them. ( )
  ColourfulThreads | Feb 18, 2021 |
This is an omnibus of books 3 and 4 in the series. The third follows well on the heels of the big battles and what amounts to a civil war with the installment of a puppet on the throne, with our favorite thieves getting caught up in the travail, with the search for the rightful heir on the way in the fourth book, with plenty of hijinks on the high seas to keep things interesting.

What did I think about them?

They're pretty okay. Granted, I've read a lot of fantasy and a lot of great characters who are thieves, a lot of great wizards, a lot of great treatments of elves in wildly different circumstances, and even a lot of fantasy pirates. What makes this stand out from the rest of them?

Well, the writing is decent and consistent and the story arcs follow solidly from book to book, feeling more like a long and comfortable adventure with characters I can settle in with for the long haul. That's basically what I get out of it. It's decent. I'd give this a solid 3.5 stars if I had the option. I'll continue, too, because its good enough to keep my interest.

But in general? I do kind of wonder where or if it takes real flight or if it will blow me away. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
The 3rd and 4th book in the series continue following Hadrian and Royce as they continue along there adventure. Each book is a separate and mostly finished tale that builds on the world and the greater plot that is developing. They are fun books. The characters are enjoying, the plot is engaging, and they are easy, fast reads. The writing has improved a lot from the first book in the series, but still sometimes misses the mark. If you enjoyed the 1st omnibus, you will likely like this book even more. ( )
  renbedell | Feb 2, 2019 |
I really enjoy Royce and Hadrian as characters and their relationship is beautiful. They're fun and their adventures are entertaining. These books aren't deep (or maybe just not yet?), the prose isn't beautiful (just crisp and clean!) and the stories aren't mind blowing but I was thoroughly entertained. And that was exactly what I was looking for!

If you read the first book in the series and liked it, you can't go wrong picking this one up. If you're into adventure stories and haven't read anything by Sullivan yet, go ahead, these books are great fun. ( )
  Vinjii | Mar 29, 2018 |

Michael J. Sullivanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reynolds, Tim GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Michael J. Sullivan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,377,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible