Eating Smoke: One Man's Descent into Drug…

Eating Smoke: One Man's Descent into Drug Psychosis in Hong Kong's Triad…

by Chris Thrall

I disliked the guy within the first few chapters and it didn't change much throughout the book. Some whole pages I just skimmed over because it was drunk noises all in caps, like:
"YAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHH" he said, "GWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH".
"But WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH"

I'd say I learned just as much about 90s euro-club music as Hong Kong. An alright story, just could have been in any city. I liked all the comparrisons between HK and mainland China. I want to re-read The Basketball Diaries now. ( )
  mtdewrock | Dec 30, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a person in recovery, I'm always interested in other people's story of addiction/recovery. This is wonderfully straightforward account of how the author's life spiraled out of control. While it lagged a bit in some spots and had some repetitiveness, it's also an interesting look at how easily and quickly a life can change. It's also filled with interesting characters encountered along the journey. Not always likeable ones, but never uninteresting. ( )
  sheryll | Aug 8, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
i finally got my book after emailing the publisher. they are VERY helpful and sent it right away. it was cool receiving something from hong kong and the book is itself is very pleasing to the eye. good artwork. the book itself was interesting but didnt flow that well. it was kind of rough going at times. that being said, i thought it was worth it. i loved how honestly the guy portrayed himself and made no excuses. its like, hey, this is what i did and what i was thinking. no sugarcoating to make himself look better. and it was cool for me being an american to get some insight on another culture from another "outsider". i thoroughly enjoyed the book and i think the author, with some work, could have a future in writing.
  ElekNotreDame | Apr 6, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I finally received a review copy of this book (interestingly it was sent from Hong Kong directly). Was it worth the wait? Yes!. While the cover of the book makes him out to be a bit more successful than he seems to be (and thus the downward spiral more dramatic), it is still fascinating. While the author seems a bit of an annoying braggart at the beginning, push through and you'll find some great stuff. It is fascinating as much for its look at Asian drug culture as for his experiences. Overall the author did well and I look forward to some future books (certainly with his experiences he has more to write). ( )
1 vote doomjesse | Mar 10, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Interesting concept, I was really looking forward to reading this book. I was sorely disappointed. I didn't care about the main character, for some reason, I found the book really hard to read. It seemed really repetitive and nothing happens. He gets high and goes to work as a bouncer/dj/bouncer/sales rep over and over. It may have been easier if I weren't constantly trying to interpret what his friends were saying to him as their speech was written phonetically. Could have been interested, but I just wasn't. ( )
  bookwormteri | Feb 15, 2012 |

Chris Thrall left the Royal Marines to find fortune in Hong Kong, but following a bizarre series of jobs he ended up homeless and hooked on Crystal Meth. He began working for the 14K, the city's most notorious crime syndicate, as a nightclub doorman in the Wan Chai red-light district. Heavily in psychosis, he uncovered a huge global conspiracy, made all the more confusing by the 'Foreign Triad' - a secretive expat clique in cahoots with the Chinese mafia. Desperate, addicted and alone in the neon glare of Hong Kong's seedy backstreets, Chris was forced to survive in the world's most unforgiving city, addicted to the world's most dangerous drug. Engaging, honest and full of Chris's irrepressible humour, this remarkable memoir combines gripping storytelling with brooding menace as the Triads begin to cast their shadow over him. The result is a truly psychotic urban nightmare.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Chris Thrall's book Eating Smoke: One man’s descent into drug psychosis in Hong Kong’s triad heartland was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Chris Thrall is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Blacksmith Books

An edition of this book was published by Blacksmith Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,205,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible