Hand Spun: New Spins on Traditional…

Hand Spun: New Spins on Traditional Techniques

by Lexi Boeger

Basically a book on to do other things with your wool than to make a nice yarn and knit/crochet/weave with it.

Much of the yarn is not suited to normal use. The techniques are interesting, but I don't really see the point of them. Nor do I see the point of most of the suggested projects. I think it is probably a lot easier to knit a hat than to zigzag over the yarn to make a hat that way. I also know that the knit hat will be a lot more comfortable.

Many of the techniques involve using wool that has been neither carded nor combed. This includes felting a fleece so that it can be used as a sheepskin rug/cape. If I had easy access to fleece I might be tempted by some of these projects. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | Mar 28, 2013 |
Lovely book. There are a few techniques that I would not have thought of and the pictures are divine. I mostly like the parts where you work only with the fleece such as the felted, animal-friendly, faux sheepskin - I have always loved sheepskin but would never buy a product that an animal was killed for. This book also has given me even more reasons to get on understanding sewing fundamentals, taking a class and pulling out the sewing machine. ( )
  studioloo | Oct 3, 2012 |

" Hand Spun contains a collection of never-before-published spinning techniques along with interesting, creative, hip projects. The essential momentum behind this book is to satisfy fans of the author's first two books in their desire for new materials to learn. As Intertwined becomes more well-known, these handspun styles are flooding the internet craft community. Hand Spun offers fresh, new, and exciting material for these spinners to move on to. Where Handspun Revolution, the author's first book, was the spark that ignited the genre of Art-yarn, and Intertwined is considered the bible of creative spinning, Handspun builds upon the now common knowledge of novelty spinning, digging deeper into the traditional underbelly of spinning, not as a means to teach traditional techniques, but rather as a way of turning very traditional forms inside out: Using time-tested techniques to deliver cutting-edge forms. This book also covers fiber-preparation processes, from scouring raw fleece to several carding techniques"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,385,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible