People: The Most Intriguing People of the…

People: The Most Intriguing People of the Century (edition 1998)

by N. Y.) People Magazine (New York

In its First Year-End Double issue in 1974-and every December since-People selected the news-makers and stars it considered the 25 Most Intriguing People of the Year. These were not necessarily the most important personages, the most weighty and wise, though many met that standard. Rather, they were the headliners whose deeds and misdeeds most captivated the public imagination, best captured the spirit of the times. This book collects and celebrates 10 decades of Intriguers, creating a keepsake album of the pop-culture personalities who defined our century, featuring some of the most memorable pictures ever shot. History provides fascinating perspectives. Could Madonna have existed without Monroe, and what did Marilyn owe to the "It Girl," Clara Bow? Where would Roseanne have been without Lucy-or Oprah without Johnny? John and Jacqueline Kennedy built on the legacy of that earlier White House power couple, Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt. Martin Luther King Jr. followed in the courageous foot-steps of Mohandas Gandhi. Before Jim Henson's Big Bird came Charlie Chaplin's Little Tramp. Here you will meet faves and knaves, coquettes and creators, presidents and pioneers-more than 150 extraordinary men and women, from "Larger Than Life" legends like Presley and Picasso and the luminous Hepburns (Audrey and Katharine) to "Trailblazers" like Jackie Robinson, Betty Friedan and Pope John Paul II; "Tastemakers" like Walt Disney, Coco Chanel and Dr. Spock; and colorful, often tragic, figures who were "Gone Too Soon," including James Dean, Arthur Ashe, Patsy Cline and Gilda Radner. As always, People deftly combines fact and fun to make this a book you will enjoy and revisit.… (more)
Member:st_boggs
Title:People: The Most Intriguing People of the Century
Authors:N. Y.) People Magazine (New York
Info:Time-Life Books (1998), Hardcover, 160 pages

Work Information

People: The Most Intriguing People of the Century by People Magazine

This is a dumpster book. One day my roommate and I were taking out the trash when we discovered someone had thrown out a bunch of books. My roommate climbed in the dumpster and read off titles to me, passing me the ones I was interested in. I figured this one might be kind of a cool coffee table book.

"People Weekly's" The Most Intriguing People of the Century is really kind of silly.

It's not that it's outdated, although it is: the century in question is the 20th, and the publication year is 1997. It's actually a bit fun to see how celebrities who were revered in the late nineties have fared since then. For instance, Mel Gibson is panted over for his good looks and complimented on his sobriety; now, he's known as a drunken anti-Semite.

Back to what makes the book silly: well, it's by "People" magazine. Their idea of "intriguing" is mostly actors, singers, and musicians. I'm not putting down those professions, as there are many amazingly talented people out there who work in those fields. I just think the magazine would do better to expand their section on pilots, astronauts, and scientists (Amelia Earhart, Charles Lindbergh, the Wright brothers, John Glenn, Stephen Hawking, et al). I believe these are the people who really paved the way to the future, and are pretty freaking "intriguing" while they're at it. But again, it's "People," and "People" is a magazine about celebrities, so what did I expect?

It was worth my roommate's dumpster dive, but I don't know if he would agree. ( )

dysmonia | Apr 15, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,277,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible