A Mighty Heart: The Brave Life and Death of My Husband, Danny Pearl

by Mariane Pearl

Other authors: Sarah Crichton (Contributor)

In A Mighty Heart an astonishingly courageous woman tells the terrifying and unforgettable story of her husband's life and death. For five weeks, the world watched and worried about Danny Pearl, a reporter for The Wall Street Journal, kidnapped in Karachi, Pakistan. And then came the news of his shocking and brutal murder. Danny's reasons for being in Karachi, the complete story of his abduction, and the intense effort to find him are told here for the first time. Mariane and Danny Pearl were working in South Asia because they believed that good reporting is essential to our understanding of the complexity of regional politics and religions. They knew the risks inherent in the life they chose and took conscientious precautions.There are many mighty hearts in the Pearl story, many brave people who helped Mariane in her search for her abducted husband. This account is riveting, illuminating, and heart-breaking. We learn about the terrorists' methods, ideologies, and ruthless violence. As soon as Pearl was discovered missing, a global effort began to locate him and identify his captors -- a race against the clock that spanned the dangerous fissures of culture and politics and language that separate Islamic terrorists and America. Only one person can tell this story: Danny Pearl's wife, Mariane, for it is she who initiated and helped direct the urgent search for her husband and she who can paint a moving portrait of a marriage built on the ideals of truth, justice, and love.… (more)
    The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: A novel. Can an American trust a Pakistani man? This book will inspire you to thing more deeply about American-Pakistani relationships.

English (8)  Dutch (1)  All languages (9)
This is Mariane Pearl's account of what happened in Pakistan in the wake of 9/11 when her fellow journalist husband was kidnapped and eventually murdered by terrorists. It is a survival story in many respects as you learn how she coped, which included a combination of tapping her Buddhist teachings to stay centered and springing into action to become a central driving force in the investigation to try and find him. Most people wonder how they would cope under extreme duress and this is one person's account of how she did it, pregnant with their first child no less. It's also an interesting look at the workings of the country at that time as the U.S. was responding to the threat of terrorism. Give this a read. ( )
  jjpseattle | Aug 2, 2020 |
rabck from dove-i-libri; I don’t remember much about this journalist's kidnapping and death. The story is told by his widow, who was also a journalist in Pakistan and pregnant. A lot of information about how journalism operates, and her position that the Wall Street Journal was not prepared to handle a crisis situation despite having foreign correspondents in war areas. As the week tick by, and the investigation continued, who do you trust? She's up against terrorists, dysfunctional governments, everyone seeming to have their own agenda and a clash of cultures. ( )
  nancynova | Jan 26, 2016 |
What was really striking about this story was the way so many people pulled together and really cared - were dedicated right up until the end, and beyond. The case had a face: it was a personal tragedy, which made it easier to empathize with, in a way. There have been other kidnappings, hijackings, terrorist attacks, and even natural disasters that have so many victims it's hard to conceive their real effect, the true impact. When it is "just" one person, it allows you to imagine it more fully, and the horror becomes more personal. The extent to which the terrorists operate by their own rules is terribly clear here. ( )
  JennyArch | Apr 3, 2013 |
It was really painful reading this book as I already knew the story of Danny Pearl. His wife Mariane was very brave to share the details of those trying days leading up to Danny's death. I wish a happy life for Mariane and Danny's son who will only have to read through this book to know what a special mom he has and what a special dad he had.

This book left me very uncertain. I got the feeling while reading it that Pakistan must be quite a dangerous country. I felt (kind of as I did when I read Mohsin Hamid's novel, The Reluctant Fundamentalist) that I would not know for certain whom to trust in that country. Usually I tend to be a very trusting soul. I continue to feel unsettled as, still to this day, American contractor Warren Weinstein, who is local to my own area, is being held in captivity after being kidnapped in Lahore, Pakistan. When will this insanity end?

The end of the book had many notes of support to Mariane. Some were from people I did not know; others were from recognizable names such as Shimon Peres and Laura Bush. It took a while to get through these letters, but it was probably important to include them as they were an uplifting note to an otherwise deeply sad story. ( )
1 vote SqueakyChu | Apr 1, 2013 |
Such a wonderful book! I have no idea why I'd never heard of this as it was happening though. Mariane is a terrific writer and the whole book kept me engaged, even though it was a work of nonfiction. It definately makes me want to read more into everything that's going on (and has gone on) in the Middle East. My husband was a soldier and deployed twice to Iraq, so you only hear about the negative of what they experiance, not a whole lot about the people that were born and live there everyday that have to deal with this stuff (even though this happened in Pakistan.) I Googled Daniel Pearl and of course one of the first things I see in search suggestions is the video. I didn't look at it at all, but it is very disrespectful. Will definately recommend this book and would like to check out the movie sometime. Loved the letters at the end! ( )
  briannad84 | Apr 26, 2012 |

Pearl, Marianeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Crichton, SarahContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wielink, NiniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prologue
I write this book for you, Danny, because you had the courage of this most solitary act: to die with your hands in chains but your heart undefeated.
Chapter One
January 23, 2004. Four A.M.
Dawn will soon rise over Karachi. Curled in Danny's warm embrace, I feel safe.
It is as if the two groups--the Pakistanis and the Americans--inhabit entirely different worlds. The distrust is endemic.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,768,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible