The Liminal People (2009)

by Ayize Jama-Everett

Series: Liminal People (1)

Taggert can heal and hurt with just a touch. When an ex calls for help, he risks the wrath of his enigmatic master to try and save her daughter. But when Taggert realizes the daughter has more power than even he can imagine, he has to wrestle with the very nature of his skills, not to mention unmanned and uncreated gods, in order keep the girl safe. In the end, Taggert will have to use more than his power, he has to delve into his heart and soul to survive. The Liminal People is a fast-paced science fiction thriller with shades of the Matrix or Richard Morgan’s Takeshi Kovacs novels don’t worry, you haven’t read this before: this is something all new.… (more)
    Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan (Valleyguy)
    Valleyguy: Dark and noirish with an anti-hero and a well thought out sci-fi element

I loved this setting. The open-ended hierarchy of vague yet menacing Powers always just down the street in every corner of the world reminds me of the best parts of John Wick. I never got close to getting bored of descriptions of how the characters used their abilities, they were always evolving and finding clever new approaches. ( )
  lobstersreading2 | Jan 25, 2020 |
The Liminal People is a scifi crime novel centered on Taggert, a man with the power to heal or hurt the people around him. He serves a ruthless man and has done terrible things in the course of his work. Although he dislikes it, he has made peace with his life — until an ex love asks for his help to find her daughter. The search for the girl leads him into a face-off with others with enough power that they seem to walk the borderline between human and god.

Taggert is an interesting character, bordering a line between hero and anti-hero. He's capable and willing to be cruel and violent, but his cruelty is mostly associated by the way he's been trapped into his current life by his master, Nordeen. Taggert also acts to protect the people he cares about, even if it means personal danger to himself.

The novel is a great crime/action thriller that sets up an interesting world, in which powerful people have the ability to manipulate the world (which kind of makes us ordinary humans feel rather small) Being both on the shorter side and fast paced, it's a quick read (perfect for where my head has been at lately). I'm looking forward to checking out the other two books in the trilogy, The Liminal War and The Entropy of Bones. ( )
  andreablythe | Mar 10, 2017 |
Another fantasy science-fiction novel with a comic book flavor. The protagonists, Liminal People, are somewhat like the mutants of the X-Men. Super powered, but still craving social acceptance. Interesting conflicts and power relationships. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
When I began this short, action-packed novel, I thought to myself with a sigh, "Is there anything new that can be said about people with extraordinary powers?" The set-up for this book brought to mind X-Men, the television show "Heroes" and any number of books.

Turns out, that while the premise isn't terribly original, the voice is, and it is a bit reminiscent of some Octavia Butler's Patternmaster series.

Taggert can heal (and conversely, can hurt) by manipulating others at a cellular level. When we meet him, he is in Morocco working for a drug lord in what is thought to be a lifetime position. But a desperate phone call from a former lover brings him to London where survival, love and family cause him some serious soul-searching.

Told in the first person, Taggert has a urban, urgent voice, and a narrative that moves quickly through the book's 190 pages. Taggert is an interesting character, not exactly likable, more anti-hero than hero certainly, but circumstances will exploit the chinks in that armor. He's very three-dimensional, and the fact that he is black brings a refreshing dimension to the usual themes of the ethical use of power...etc. ( )
  avaland | Oct 26, 2013 |
I totally stayed up late to finish this gripping novel about a healer who is also a shapeshifter, which is such a great conceit. I saw Octavia Butler's WILD SEED all over this book, which made me really happy. I could have used a few less "pansy" and "faggot" comments, but ultimately the first person narrator didn't seem like a giant homophobe, so I let it go. I'd be very excited to read more from Jama-Everett.
  anderlawlor | Apr 9, 2013 |

Jama-Everett, AyizeAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, Adam S.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

"This book is dedicated to Roadie.

Look little girl, I did it."
Nordeen was right to send me.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,479,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible