dismiss

One Book in the Grave (2012)

by Kate Carlisle

3601961,995 (3.85)4
"...[Brooklyn Wainwright] decides to find out who sold [a rare first edition of Beauty and the beast] so she can return it to its rightful owner...She believes a rare book dealer can assist her, but when she arrives at his shop, she finds him murdered...With the help of her handsome boyfriend, Derek Stone, Brooklyn must unravel the murder plot--before she ends up in a plot herself..."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

English (18)  Piratical (1)  All languages (19)
So much better than book 4, you would not believe it. ( )
  tanaise | Jul 17, 2022 |
Plot Synopsis

Brooklyn discovers bookseller Joe Taylor’s murder when trying to find a book thief, this leads to finding out that her father and others faked the death of Max Adams, a renowned papermaker. After Gabriel, Derek and her track down Max they learn that the chief suspects are Angelica and Solomon. After Angelica's body is delivered to Brooklyn, Max's fiancé Emily shows up.

Emily is then kidnapped, by Crystal and Melody Byers, two members of the Ogun Church. Crystal is in love with Solomon and murdered Angelica because she was jealous of her relationship with Solomon. Crystal then kidnaps Brooklyn who's saved by Derek.
  kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |
The mystery was well constructed, but the characters were not all that much to my liking. ( )
  DrApple | Oct 11, 2018 |
There is so much to think about in this cozy. I focused on the life led by a character named Max. Love gets him in a basket of trouble. He finds it necessary to change his whole life. There is hate and jealousy. Jealousy can lead to all sorts of dangerous tendencies. Some might call one character a Psychopath. Then, there is the book love throughout the book. A book is used to carry a mystery letter. The title of the book is "Beauty And The Beast." I especially loved the romantic relationship between Brooklyn and Derek.

How quaint each of Brooklyn's siblings are named after a place. There is also the wonderful vocation of bookbinding. The process of papermaking is written about. I tried to follow the technique closely. I couldn't. I just ended up knowing paper is so beautiful for books. There is gilding, and there are many colors like purple and vermillion. These are only a few of the issues covered in the mystery written by Kate Carlisle. There is also a cultish church and thoughts about survivalists. ( )
  Tea58 | Apr 21, 2018 |
Brooklyn is contacted by an old friend to restore a rare copy of Beauty and the Beast but when she sees it, she has to disappoint him by telling him that the book is stolen - she knows because she originally gave the book to the actual owner. Separate twist, that owner is dead - or is he?

This mystery took us through some of Brooklyn's past history, exposed us to more of her family in Dharma, and see her wrestling with her own feelings as well as trying to support others.

Love the series! ( )
  cyderry | Jun 2, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

This book is dedicated to my favorite Beast, my brother, Daniel Patrick Beaver, and to his beautiful and very clever wife, Deborah, and their amazingly perfect children, Campbell and Callan. I love you all!
Hello. My name is Brooklyn Wainwright and I am a book addict.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,994,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible