Fever by Lauren DeStefano

Fever (edition 2013)

by Lauren DeStefano (Author)

In a future where genetic engineering has cured humanity of all diseases and defects but has also produced a virus that kills all females by age twenty and all males by the age twenty-five, teenaged Rhine escapes her forced marriage and journeys back to New York to find her twin brother.
Member:ericaejw968
Title:Fever
Authors:Lauren DeStefano (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2013), Edition: Reprint, 368 pages

Work Information

Fever by Lauren DeStefano

Not as compelling as the first in the series. Decently moved the story along with some good character development. ( )
  readingjag | Nov 29, 2021 |
Teen fiction; dystopian adventure (for girls). I think the model on the cover has too much eye makeup, but other than that: fantastic. DeStefano's second installation to the chemical garden trilogy does not disappoint with interesting developments to the plot continued from #1--these are best read as a series, definitely not as a standalone. Looking forward to #3. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Fever jumped right in from where Wither left off with Rhine Ellery and Gabriel fleeing from Linden Ashby's house. Their journey to Manhattan is immediately stalled when they stumble upon a carnival themed scarlet district. Rhine and Gabriel are forced to perform as lovebirds in order to be kept alive. With some unexpected help, Rhine and Gabriel escape with a young malformed girl, Maddie. Together, the three of them continue to head toward Manhattan. Things don't get much easier on their journey, with little food, money, and resources for trading. It doesn't help that while being held captive at Madame's, Gabriel has gotten addicted to a drug called Angel's blood. Since it was only for a short period, Gabriel is able to beat the addiction, but not without a painful withdrawal period.

Rhine, Gabriel, and Maddie manage to make it to Manhattan. Once there, Rhine leads them to her childhood home and finds it partially burned and destroyed. Her brother is nowhere to be found and appears to believe Rhine is dead. With no other options, they search out the house listed under Maddie's one possession - a book her mother gave her. The address turns out to be Maddie's grandmother's house/orphanage. The three of them move in and begin helping out with chores in exchange for a place to sleep. While there, Rhine begins to get sick and show symptoms of the virus that kills all the youth prematurely.

I did enjoy the fast pace of this book. Things happened quickly and flowed nicely. The downside of the fast pace is that sometimes it was a little too convenient. They managed to get to Manhattan incredibly quickly for two young kids and an infant with little resources and knowledge of the road they were traveling. I don't want to give any spoilers, but the ending of the book was incredibly convenient.

The new characters were interesting, but you didn't get a real chance to develop any relationships with them. For example, Maddie was a very interesting character, but you no one could get her to say a single word. Also, she broke her arm before they ran away from Madame's and her injuries seemed to take a backseat once things with Rhine picked up. I would have liked to see more relationships to form between Rhine and the characters currently in her life. She had a lot of development with her family and sister-wives, but not so much after that.

Overall, I give this book a 3.5 out of 5. It was a fast read with an interesting storyline. It could improve by allowing more character development and making more realistic obstacles form. I would also appreciate to hear more of the science behind the virus taking all these lives. I find it unrealistic that Rhine is a daughter of two scientists who worked on finding an antidote and she doesn't know much about the virus. ( )
  CeceliaS | Nov 10, 2020 |
The second book in The Chemical Garden Trilogy by Lauren DeStefano, Fever, is one of those books that kind of didn’t actually need to be written, because it’s just a filler and it didn’t have the same punch as the first book. In fact, it felt as though this book was just added in order to make it a trilogy, and comprises of a few good ideas mixed together to create something, but only ever creates an atmosphere to lose yourself in while you hope something worthwhile happens. Where Wither touched important social aspects that affects humanity today, Fever kind of felt unsympathetic towards disabled children, forced prostitution, human trafficking etc. In other words, DeStefano tried way too hard to channel the same voice she had in the first book.

When I feel myself getting sick, I have a specific ritual that I follow to make myself feel better. I find myself a Young Adult series to entertain myself in bed, hope and pray there are enough books in said series to keep me entertained while I lie in bed and fight the flu, and try not to judge the books too harshly (mostly because I’m out of it most of the time due to the medication). I’ve found some excellent young adult series’ like this: The Vampire Academy Series, Divergent, Uglies, The Vampire Diaries … all of those were found during my flu-campaigns. When I felt myself getting a little iffy again, I bought this trilogy on Kindle in order to keep me company. Wither was great, I liked it, but Fever really didn’t do anything to make me feel better. Half of the time I wished something would happen, like, I don’t know, Rhine would be blown up by her own brother. Gabriel would decide that he’s had enough of her hot/cold attitude. Maddie would turn into a cannibal, because at one point I was so pissed off with Rhine suggesting Maddie is a monkey or an animal: “that crawls on all fours” that I really didn’t feel sympathetic to her plight whatsoever. Seriously, DeStefano, calling disabled kids “malformed” is one thing, but treating them like animals in your writing is a whole other level of: “oh no you di’int”.

I didn’t care for this book whatsoever, and honestly, you can skip it if you’re in the mood to read this trilogy. I mean, you’re not going to miss that much anyway. Yeah, you get to meet Madame and her colourful whores, as well as the fortune teller that pops out of nowhere, but it’s not worth it.

(review originally posted on www.tentaclebooks.com) ( )
  MoniqueSnyman | Oct 3, 2019 |
I’m going to carry on reading this whole trilogy but to be honest I was not that
impressed with this book. Rhine escapes from the clutches of her father in-law. Escaping one horrid place that is using her to only be stuck in a horrid carnival of sex and being used again, and Gabriel, really what a lame boy he turned out to be. I would have been fine if Gabriel had succumbed to his injuries.
  greergreer | Mar 1, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,559,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible