The Boy Who Cried Wolf by B. G. Hennessy

The Boy Who Cried Wolf

by B. G. Hennessy

A boy tending sheep on a lonely mountainside thinks it a fine joke to cry "wolf" and watch the people come running--and then one day a wolf is really there, but no one answers his call.

I have always heard of the boy who cried wolf, however, I never knew the actual story. The folktale teaches a great lesson on not to lie for attention. The illustrations in the folktale also brings the story to life. The illustration of the big giant hungry wolves looking at the sheep while the shepherd boy runs away is such a powerful illustration. The style of the text is also a great contributor to the folktale. The style and the font of the text is playful just like the shepherd’s personality when he cried wolf because he was bored. The font just adds the slight playfulness to the text that bounces off the illustrations. ( )
  A.Bode | Mar 19, 2019 |
I still remember the first time I heard this story. I was about six years old and was so worried about the sheep! This tale is such a classic that all children should be familiar with because it teaches youngsters not to lie or no one will believe you! B.G. Hennessy does a precise job sticking to the original story; however, the rascally illustrations what made me love this story. I love how the illustrator uses overexaggerated features of the sheppard and how mischievous his sheep are acting! The sheep in the trees at the end actually made me laugh. I felt as if I was still in the 1st grade being read this story by my teacher, Ms. Moore. ( )
  agreenwald | Feb 20, 2019 |
This story is such a classic; the illustrations are fantastic. As a child, I remember reading/hearing this story but where the sheep get eaten by the wolves, but in this book, the sheep ended up just hiding in the tree. I enjoyed this version since it's less gruesome to read to children, but the lesson the story has is being told and coming across clearly to the reader. I liked how this story had some repetitive phrases, and I would enjoy reading this aloud to have the children read along with me during those repetitive phrases. The illustrations are great! Kulikov did a fantastic job at portraying the shepherd as a goofy, bored child. I liked how when the "townsfolk" came running to look for the wolf it seemed like there was a riot going on. It was hilarious how some of the characters looked, some had baseball caps on, and others had top hats, and one had on a suit of armor. ( )
  nomerbasic | Nov 19, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book, as it is a story I am familiar with. One of the reasons I liked this book was because of the illustrations. The illustrations told the story well, but also added some humor that readers wouldn’t receive from the text. On one page, the boy was bored watching his sheep and was shown picking his nose. On another page, the boy was looking for his sheep and they were all up in the tree, scared of the wolves. I also was a fan of the plot. It was organized and paced well, describing the boy’s life day after day and his boredom. It was also suspenseful, especially at the part where the boy heard the growling of the wolves, “GRRRRRRRRRRR.” It wasn’t revealed until the next page that real wolves were there that time, so it left the reader waiting. The overall message is to tell the truth. If a person continuously tells lies, people will stop believing the person altogether, even when something true is said. The boy in the story repeatedly lied about wolves coming after his sheep, a pretty serious accusation. When his sheep were actually in danger, no one wanted to believe him. ( )
  maddieschaefer | Oct 29, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book for multiple reasons. For one reason, I thought the illustrations did a great job enhancing the story. For example, on page twenty-four, the Shepherd called for help from the village for a third time and no one from the village arrived to help him fight the wolves. The illustration on this page shows the emotion the Shepherd is experiencing when he realizes that the wolves were going to attack and he did not have help. The picture portrays him as terrified. After taking time to interpret the illustration, the reader is able to feel how petrified the Shepherd must be. The second reason I liked this book was because it pushes readers to think about difficult issues. For example, the Shepherd falsely claims there are wolves two days in a row. On both of those days, a surplus of people from the village come to support the Shepherd. Each time, there were no wolves. On the third day, the Shepherd yelled for help, but no one showed up because he had lied the two previous days. This book pushes readers to think twice before lying.

This story is a great example of traditional literature. The tale is written to sound like the story is being told. For example, the beginning phrase was, "There was once a Shepherd". Throughout the entire tale, the author uses language that allows the reader to feel as if they are being told a story. A second reason the story is a great example of traditional literature is because the plot is simple. For example, the Shepherd claims there are wolves the first two days (rising action). On the third day, the Shepherd claims the wolves are back and no one from the village shows up to rescue him and the sheep (climax). Finally, the story ends with the Shepherd searching for his sheep all by himself. The message the author aims to provide the reader is to never lie because one day you may actually be in trouble and people may not believe you. ( )
  LaurieIrons | Oct 28, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,514,178 books! | Top bar: Always visible