Abundant Simplicity: Discovering the…

Abundant Simplicity: Discovering the Unhurried Rhythms of Grace (edition 2011)

by Jan Johnson (Author)

Member:mommyofmanyblessings
Title:Abundant Simplicity: Discovering the Unhurried Rhythms of Grace
Authors:Jan Johnson (Author)
Info:IVP Books (2011), Edition: 4.5.2011, 173 pages

Abundant Simplicity: Discovering the Unhurried Rhythms of Grace by Jan Johnson

A Strawberry Creek member comments: "I'd give it four stars. It is an attractive and easily readable book, but it's perspective on simplicity is not Quaker. I wish the author had made an attempt to speak more from her own experience." ( )
  strawberrycreekmtg | Jun 17, 2012 |
NCLA Review: Jan Johnson’s goal in ABUNDANT SIMPLICITY is not to reduce stress and clutter, though it will do that. Her goal is to enable her readers to pursue an intentional transformative relationship with God. She invites Christians to conduct a “heart exam,” discerning what is really important to them, which may not actually be what they assume. Only then, with that as a backdrop and Scripture as guide, does she lead the reader into disciplines of simplicity of speech, frugality, time, appearance, and technology. Her ideas are challenging, but presented with a recognition that one size does not fit all, and the oft repeated “Do what you can, not what you can’t.” This book is a treasure trove for Christians who take the journey of faith seriously and want God to truly be first in their life. It is one of IVP’s “Formatio” collection which focuses on spiritual formation. Her chapter-ending “Experiments” and “Questions” make it ideal for group study. Rating: 4 —DKW ( )
  ncla | Feb 7, 2012 |

Which activities give you energy and connect you with God? Do you know what behaviors are life-draining for you, separating you from God?

Simplicity is about choosing the engaging, relational life we were meant to live. It means shedding obligation and pretension. It means spending

in ways that help us become clear-headed. It means being intentional about what we do and how we live. These choices allow God's power to move through us and bless others as we have space to do good.

In each chapter Jan Johnson provides small experiments with simplicity as well as questions for discussion or reflection to get you started.

Come and discover the unhurried rhythms of grace.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:47 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,718,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible