Unseen Hand: Poems by Adam Zagajewski

Unseen Hand: Poems (edition 2012)

by Adam Zagajewski, Clare Cavanagh (Translator)

One of the most gifted poets of our time, Adam Zagajewski is a contemporary classic. Few writers in poetry or prose have attained the lucid intelligence and limpid economy of style that are the trademarks of his work. His wry humor, gentle skepticism, and perpetual sense of history's dark possibilities have earned him a devoted international following. This collection, gracefully translated by Clare Cavanagh, finds the poet returning to the themes that have defined his career--moving meditations on place, language, and history.Unseen Handis a luminous meeting of art and everyday life.… (more)
Member:literique
Title:Unseen Hand: Poems
Authors:Adam Zagajewski
Other authors:Clare Cavanagh (Translator)
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 128 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Unseen Hand: Poems by Adam Zagajewski

This small book of poems, which I read in translation from Polish to English, is spare in words and deep in meaning. They take the reader around the world, often to locations where the author recalls someone no longer alive. Zagajewski also writes often of his father, who has Alzheimer's or some type of progressive dementia. He writes of Warsaw's Jewish ghettos. Just when you feel the gut punches and can't take another, the poetry spins a scene with clouds and azure sky. Or an ironic poem about poetry turns up the corner of its mouth. This is a treasure I think I'll read again. ( )
  TheBibliophage | Mar 20, 2018 |
Translated from Polish (by the incredible Cavanagh, of course) yet his words fall with a fluidity and natural, unforced style that really speaks to me. I really liked "Impossible" and "Corridor." ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,363,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible