Raising Stony Mayhall

by Daryl Gregory

After a zombie attack, Wanda Mayhall rescues a near-dead infant on the side of a frozen Iowa highway and decides to raise him without telling the authorities, but as the boy gets older he realizes that there are other living dead in the world like him.

English (21)  French (1)  All languages (22)
One of the best zombie apocalypse stories I have read! ( )
  Ralphd00d | May 4, 2021 |
Really enjoyed this. Believable in a weird way (yes, it's another zombie apocalypse book) and not so loopy that it becomes eye-roll worthy (George Romero's Dawn of the Dead is referred to as "the Romero documentary"). The magical elements at the end kind of stretched the believability of it (as if a zombie baby that somehow grows up wasn't already stretching believability) but all in all a very enjoyable read. ( )
  glenncvance | Aug 26, 2020 |
Threw this into my 'to read' pile because of the reviews, but I was a bit put off by the title... sounded like Rebbeca of Sunnybrook Farm. So I let it sit, unread. Finally download it from Audible and listened to it in the car. LOVED it! Is it a zombie story? Yes. Is it a coming of age zombie story? Yup! And Stony is an interesting character, as are the characters around him. Highly recommended! ( )
  DocHobbs | Jul 30, 2020 |
The first half of this novel was probably the best-written YA featuring a zombie I've read, and I generally have a slight repulsion for the idea, so the fact that I actually LIKED this was rather impressive.

Taking place at the same time as Romero's first Dead movie and steadily marching through time as a handful of zombies who weren't summarily wiped out in the first outbreak quickly regained normal human consciousness, we follow this particular kid, Stony Mayhall. He grows up, being unusual enough because he learns how to actively heal himself, unlike other LD individuals, and interestingly enough, he joins the ranks of other hiding LDs, keeping his head low and biding his time until the eighties... when, like gay demonstrators, they take to politics and equal rights.

Wow, right? It just became a completely different kind of novel! But it doesn't end there. I loved the idea of getting their own island and eventually heading to space, being naturally resistant to G forces and radiation. :) :) Reminds me of that Fallout New Vegas scene. :)

But when the hope crashes and the crackdown falls on the poor zombies, the novel takes another complete turn... in a concentration camp, featuring torture, learning positive skills, and being curious about the nature of zombies. When does a zombie end, for example. All those chopped limbs and reanimating prosthetics was fascinating. :)

And then the novel changes yet again. Modern zombies. :) And the pendulum swings yet again.

Wow. This was a seriously understated and fascinating LD novel. :) I'm very happy to have read it, and I should add that Daryl Gregory should never be underestimated. This is my third and they've all been very excellent. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
This is different from any zombie novel I have ever read. After a zombie outbreak is put down by the government in the late '60s, a woman and her three daughters discover the body of a dead girl in a field during an Iowa snowstorm. The girl is holding a baby--a baby who is not alive but who still moves (the title character). The family hides the baby and he inexplicably begins to grow. After he is involved in a car accident as a teenager, Stony must escape and discovers a network of zombies who have gone underground. This book had great characters, a fun plot full of conspiracies, and a unique take on the zombie story. I thought it was a blast. ( )
  sturlington | Jul 18, 2019 |

Has as a commentary on the text

Are you sleeping,
Are you sleeping,
Brother John?
For the sisters, Robin and Lisa

And the kids, Emma and Ian
It is traditional to end with the Last Girl, the sole survivor, a young woman in a blood-splattered tank top.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,126,916 books! | Top bar: Always visible