How to Be a Woman (2011)

by Caitlin Moran

Though they have the vote and the Pill and haven't been burned as witches since 1727, life isn't exactly a stroll down the catwalk for modern women. They are beset by uncertainties and questions: Why are they supposed to get Brazilians? Why do bras hurt? Why the incessant talk about babies? And do men secretly hate them? Caitlin Moran interweaves provocative observations on women's lives with laugh-out-loud funny scenes from her own, from the riot of adolescence to her development as a writer, wife, and mother. With rapier wit, Moran slices right to the truth--whether it's about the workplace, strip clubs, love, fat, abortion, popular entertainment, or childred--to jump-start a new conversation about feminism. With humor, insight, and verve, How To Be a Woman lays bare the reasons why female rights and empowerment are essential issues not only for women today but also for society itself.… (more)
    Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson (generalkala)
    Be Awesome: Modern Life for Modern Ladies by Hadley Freeman (nessreader)
    nessreader: My love for Hadley Freeman is unbounded. Both these authors are columnists in the UK newspapers, young, female, funny and intelligent. If you've read the books of both and are hunting more in the same vein, try Lucy Mangan from the Guardian (My Family And Other Disasters) Alas, the jacket design for be awesome is godawful.… (more)
    Sex Object: A Memoir by Jessica Valenti (g33kgrrl)

English (158)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (162)
Gostei bastante, o livro é bem engraçado abordando pontos importantes na vida de uma mulher.
Mais biografia do que manifesto, ela faz reflexões sobre eventos ocorridos na vida dela, os quais se assemelham a de muita gente. ( )
  megwatrin | Mar 11, 2021 |
You can't really top the wacky adventures of Moran's semi-autobiographical Johanna Morrigan aka Dolly Wilde, but her nonfiction feminist manifesto was still a fun read. Her perspective on life is at once brutal and humorous, delving into the harsh realities of the modern feminist movement with just enough pathos not to come off as bitter. I mean, we all know the patriarchy is trash anyways, so it's great that she doesn't waste a lot of time lamenting "oh what should we do" and instead takes a more practical approach: demanding change, doing what you want, and holding the world accountable for its actions. There were a few spots where I was challenged by her writing, namely her chapters dealing with children, as I'm firmly in the camp of "no thank you" and I will disagree endlessly and tactlessly with anyone who dares question my life choices (it is none of their business, thank you kindly to shut up), but she redeemed herself in the end with a rather brutal but honest discussion around abortion. While she may come off as a pretty rambunctious take on modern feminism and kind of a goofball, Moran's voice is unique and holds true to the punk-ethos that feminism goes hand in hand with: make your choices, let no one tell you what to do, and live your life to be happy for yourself and those who love you. Seeking out more of her work, tout suite! ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
4.5 stars

I love how real the author is. She's the type of person you want to actually know in real life. The information in this book is pure genius and simultaneously mostly basic stuff that we should know. She just says it. I definitely recommend it. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Feb 17, 2021 |
Fantastic! ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Feb 13, 2021 |
Solid ideas and witty telling. ( )
  klnbennett | Oct 7, 2020 |
The joy of this book is just that: the joy. What Moran is really arguing for is more female happiness. Women spend too much of their time worrying, beating themselves up, going along with time-wasting, restrictive, often expensive, sexist mores. The triumph of How To Be A Woman is that it adds to women's confidence. It reminds us that sexism, and all that is associated with it, is not only repressive, it is tedious and stupid. It is boring. Best give it a body swerve and get on with having fun

Great job author, I really like your writing style. I suggest you join N0velStar’s writing competition, you might be their next big star.
added by Gab_Cruz | editbook

[Prologue] Wolverhapmton, April 5, 1988
So, I had assumed it was optional.
[Postscript] So do I know how to be a woman now?
"Pencil skirts, skin-tight jeans and leggings - they all allow us to witness an exact outline of the wearer's pants, rather like the 'Geo-Phys print-out of an ancient drainage system on Time Team."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,010,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible