Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire (Book 4)…

Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire (Book 4) (original 2000; edition 2000)

by J. K. Rowling (Author)

Series: Harry Potter (4)

88,4588175 (4.36)13 / 959
Fourteen-year-old Harry Potter joins the Weasleys at the Quidditch World Cup, then enters his fourth year at Hogwarts Academy where he is mysteriously entered in an unusual contest that challenges his wizarding skills, friendships and character, amid signs that an old enemy is growing stronger.
Member:sfmcewing
Title:Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire (Book 4)
Authors:J. K. Rowling (Author)
Info:Scholastic Press (2000), 752 pages

Work Information

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling (2000)

Recently added byatwahida, mrankine79, AstridRichard, Guileless, coder_ritz28, private library, zdrazil
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (TeamJacob101)
    TeamJacob101: I Couldn't put it down!
    Northern Lights by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Santa Olivia is admittedly built for a more mature audience, but the themes, character types, and situations in the Harry Potter series and in Carey's work make me believe a reader who enjoys one will likely enjoy the other. Santa Olivia, though, is not a traditional fantasy, but more in the lines of speculative fiction, so that fantasy-only readers who enjoy Harry Potter for primarily the inclusion of magic may not enjoy Carey's work. I'm recommending it with this Harry Potter book in particular since, for me, this was the book when the series took a leap toward becoming more adult. Santa Olivia is also probably the beginning of a forthcoming series.… (more)
    Sasquatch Moon by R. Stone (Anonymous user)
    Dangerous Donkey (Adam Cranford Series) by Alaric Adair (markbiblos)
    markbiblos: A hero teenager doing crazy things under difficult conditions.
Elevenses (169)
Ghosts (269)

English (760)  Italian (8)  German (7)  French (6)  Dutch (6)  Spanish (5)  Finnish (4)  Swedish (3)  Arabic (2)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (2)  Catalan (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (811)
I listened on audible and really enjoyed it! Was perfect for driving to work daily and while doing chores. ( )
  Hollee.Archibald | Nov 25, 2021 |
Banorët e Litëll Hengëlltaunit e quanin edhe sot e kësaj dite Shtëpia e Ridëllve, edhe pse kishte kushedi sa vjet që familja Ridëll nuk banonte më aty. Ajo qe ndërtuar majë bregores që lartohej përmbi fshat: disa nga dritaret ishin të ngallmuara me gozhdë, çatisë i mungonin mjaft tjegulla dhe në ballinën e saj rritej urthi i egër. Fragment nga libri
  BibliotekaFeniks | Oct 31, 2021 |
Conclusions I came to while rereading this book:

>> Hogwarts needs a better librarian--or, at least, Madam Pince desperately needs a few cataloging courses and several years to put that library in proper order.

>> Dumbledore needs to have a private tea with teachers on the first day of school to make sure everyone is still who they say they are--no unexpected changes over the summer, like forgetting shared experiences or suddenly refusing to take off a new turban.

>> The magical world leads a logic liaison for SO many reasons...not least of which:
...there are so many ways Harry could have fulfilled the tournament's "binding magical contract" without actually doing the tasks.
...adults are subjecting teenagers to binding magical contracts at risk of their lives.

>> Hermione needs to drop SPEW and found the a group for the prevention of cruelty to children, because Snape is incredibly abusive and should not be allowed within 100 miles of Hogwarts.

>> Wizards need to remember spells they've just mastered--like, say, summoning--for when they're caught in dark hallways with sensitive items in sight but just out of reach. Seriously.

>> They also need to accept that if it's not ridiculous to summon a broom from a dormitory, it's probably not ridiculous to summon a pocket knife from the same dormitory.

>> Everyone should always carry a small pocket knife.

>> Eager to return to your beloved evil overlord? No need to wait! Make that golden egg a portkey during the first task, avoid any chance of someone else getting to it first, and raise your own Dark Lord today!

>> Are you on the run? Found your old, abusive boss at his most vulnerable? Think he's the only one who can protect you from the old allies you betrayed? First, think about what it's going to cost you in dignity, pain, and actual human flesh to stay with him...then consider trading your boss's location for amnesty. Duh!

Of course, I say all of this with the greatest love and affection! Those five stars should make it obvious, but just in case...

I'm amazed how fast these books are going, but at least ten years of reading more advanced things will do that. I'm also amazed how suspenseful things get even when I know what's going to happen--the sign of a good book! That said, I'm also having trouble overcoming some of the stylistic quirks. I've noticed before that books I read when I was younger have very short sentences, and Harry Potter is no exception, but I've also been a bit annoyed by the punctuation throughout the series so far. Commas and semicolons aren't used consistently and some of the fragments don't seem intentional. There are a lot of dashes--which I have to forgive to avoid being hypocritical--and Rowling has eased back on them since the second book, but the capitalization and sentence structure around them makes me twitch. A dash should not be used to end a sentence when you start a new one immediately after! I mean, it can, but I didn't see any examples that really justified doing it.

The experiment with imagining Harry as part Indian and Hermione as black has had mixed results so far. Sometimes I do well, but then I'll be reading a scene and suddenly realize that I'm back to my old visualization of white Harry or Hermione. One thing I've noticed is that when I do focus on seeing them differently, I've been better able to age them up or down. On my first read through, everyone pretty much "looked" the same the whole way through--but now that I've lived through being all these ages myself, it's easier to "see" the differences between 11-year-old and 14-year-old boys and girls.

I've also been trying to reimagine characters based on their actual descriptions. My mom pointed out, for example, that Snape, Lupin, Sirius, and Peter are probably only in their 30s--if we assume that Lily and James had Harry around age 20. I definitely imagined them older, and the movies certainly cast older actors. It's pretty remarkable how young so many of the key adults are in these books!

I'm also developing a far greater appreciation for Molly Weasley. I mean, I loved her as a character before...but she so genuinely cares about Harry, and is one of the few people who do. Hagrid too, but Molly is really developing a special place in my heart. She's so busy, has so many kids, but still has so much love to spare for one more.

I would like to close with a rant about...my least favorite cover in the entire series. Marie Grand Pre, darling, I love you artwork so much, but this cover has seemed stupid to me since I picked it up with my grandma the first day it was available in the US. Part of this is just because I hate pictures of people looking right out at me, part of it is how much it looks like a movie poster, and a big part of it is that the cover looks so cheery compared to how stressed and dark the book is throughout. The first three books were definitely exciting adventures for kids...but Harry and his readers were going up at this point, and things were getting more serious. The cover should have too. Mostly, though, its how darn realistic Harry is compared to everything else on the cover and every other cover in the series. We've gone from the gorgeous, soft stylization of the first few covers (and even the lovely background characters on this cover) and the next three to something that looks almost like a portrait. Even the last book isn't aiming so completely for realism.

I wonder what she'd do if she had a chance to redraw all the covers? I'd love to see the color theme she had going for the fifth and sixth books carried throughout.

On to The Order of the Phoenix! ( )
  books-n-pickles | Oct 29, 2021 |
Harry's adventures at age 14.
  BLTSbraille | Sep 25, 2021 |
I will never forget the feeling I had as an 13 year-old when, at 2 o'clock in the morning, in a deathly quiet house, Voldemort rose out of the cauldron...

2nd Review

I really found myself admiring Rowling because she isn't afraid to show off her hero's bad side. After all, the Yule Ball doesn't really show Harry's good side.

However, I must be getting soft in my old age. I almost couldn't handle the tension, the evil-ness of Voldemort and wicked audacity of Barty Crouch Jr. I don't know that I'll be able to read it again. My husband will tell you that I spent more time than is normal for me, saying how terrified I was of the beginning, the middle, and the end. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
Tras otro abominable verano con los Dursley, Harry se dispone a iniciar el cuarto curso en Hogwarts, la famosa escuela de magia y hechicería. A sus catorce años, a Harry le gustaría ser un joven mago como los demás y dedicarse a aprender nuevos sortilegios, encontrarse con sus amigos Ron y Hermione y asistir con ellos a los Mundiales de quidditch. Sin embargo, al llegar al colegio le espera una gran sorpresa que lo obligará a enfrentarse a los desafíos más temibles de toda su vida. Si logra superarlos, habrá demostrado que ya no es un niño y que está preparado para vivir las nuevas y emocionantes experiencias que el futuro le depara.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

in memory of Mr. Ridley
and to Susan Sladden,
who helped Harry
out of his cupboard.
The villagers of Little Hangleton still called it 'the Riddle House', even though it had been many years since the Riddle family had lived there.
"Kill the spare"

Harry Potter is midway through his training as a wizard and his coming of age. Harry wants to get away from the pernicious Dursleys and go to the International Quidditch Cup with Hermione, Ron, and the Weasleys. He wants to dream about Cho Chang, his crush (and maybe do more than dream). He wants to find out about the mysterious event that's supposed to take place at Hogwarts this year, an event involving two other rival schools of magic, and a competition that hasn't happened for hundreds of years. He wants to be a normal, fourteen-year-old wizard. But unfortunately for Harry Potter, he's not normal - even by wizarding standards.

And in his case, different can be deadly.
Headmaster cancelled

the school sports program so that

four kids could hunt eggs.

(CathWhitney)

5 11999

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,515,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible