Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire by J.K.…

Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire (original 2000; edition 2002)

by J.K. Rowling (Author), Mary GrandPre (Illustrator)

Series: Harry Potter (4)

87,2618115 (4.36)13 / 954
Fourteen-year-old Harry Potter joins the Weasleys at the Quidditch World Cup, then enters his fourth year at Hogwarts Academy where he is mysteriously entered in an unusual contest that challenges his wizarding skills, friendships and character, amid signs that an old enemy is growing stronger.
Member:purplegrayson
Title:Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire
Authors:J.K. Rowling (Author)
Other authors:Mary GrandPre (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2002), 752 pages

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling (2000)

Recently added bychanen15, private library, Rennie80, JOlson724, CGHCGH, Knittedbrows, dmh1314
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (TeamJacob101)
    TeamJacob101: I Couldn't put it down!
    Northern Lights by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Santa Olivia is admittedly built for a more mature audience, but the themes, character types, and situations in the Harry Potter series and in Carey's work make me believe a reader who enjoys one will likely enjoy the other. Santa Olivia, though, is not a traditional fantasy, but more in the lines of speculative fiction, so that fantasy-only readers who enjoy Harry Potter for primarily the inclusion of magic may not enjoy Carey's work. I'm recommending it with this Harry Potter book in particular since, for me, this was the book when the series took a leap toward becoming more adult. Santa Olivia is also probably the beginning of a forthcoming series.… (more)
    Sasquatch Moon by R. Stone (Anonymous user)
    Dangerous Donkey (Adam Cranford Series) by Alaric Adair (markbiblos)
    markbiblos: A hero teenager doing crazy things under difficult conditions.
Elevenses (167)
Ghosts (113)

English (754)  Italian (8)  German (7)  French (6)  Dutch (6)  Finnish (4)  Spanish (4)  Swedish (3)  Portuguese (2)  Danish (2)  Arabic (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (803)
By the time I got to this one, I was SO tired of reading the same story over and over again. It was fresh and fun in book 1, boring and tiresome by book 4, and the nastiness that was added to book 4 really turned me off. I didn't even finish it. ( )
  emrsalgado | Jul 23, 2021 |
For the most part, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is one of the best entries into the series. The worldbuilding and characterization are very cool, expanding on what we've already seen and making the magical world come alive in all sorts of wonderful ways. Despite a few immersion-defying ideas scattered thoughout the book (we'll get to that later), it's very well written and keeps pulling you through the longest book in the series thus far by almost double.

Okay, nitpick time, since this is getting to be my favorite part of writing these reviews :) Warning: spoilers, stop reading now if that matters to you:

- Why exactly does Harry have to compete? It would only have taken a paragraph to explain that the cup would punish him somehow or something like that (which would be stupid but at least explained). And even in that case, what exactly is stopping them from just making him sit on the sidelines of each task and only compete on paper?

- How did everyone watch the second/third tasks? One is underwater, the other is in giant mazes. Again, this could have been explained in universe in a paragraph as 'magical viewing portals, following the champions around'. Weird, potentially world breaking depending on how they work, but perfectly functional.

- What did the students from the other schools do for school work? They were there an entire year and we never see them in classes. Did they just skip a year of schooling for a single one of them to compete? Did their headmasters (who also apparently left their schools for an entire year...) teach them? Did they join the upper years in classes and were just all older than Harry?

- And finally: Is that really Voldemort's plan? It works, but it's kind of crazy that it does go off more or less without a hitch. I thought he was supposed to be smarter than that... ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
After reading this series so many times. I'm always glad when I get to this book cause I feel I could tell someone the first three word for word without ever having to open the books. So this one I still don't have perfectly ingrained in my brain lol. This one is the first book where I really feel Harry stops being a kid and becomes a teen. He faces more dangers and in MOST cases comes at things with a bit more maturity than he did in the previous books. This is also the book where you really get to see Ron's jealousy when it comes to Hermione and its all the first book the introduces death of a character that you've gotten to know. Its a big book of firsts. ( )
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
I liked reading about the three events of the Triwizard Tournament. ( )
  Jinjer | Jul 19, 2021 |
Best book in the series so far. I laughed. I cried. I cheered. I suffered. Loved it!!! ( )
  Heidi64 | Jul 18, 2021 |
Tras otro abominable verano con los Dursley, Harry se dispone a iniciar el cuarto curso en Hogwarts, la famosa escuela de magia y hechicería. A sus catorce años, a Harry le gustaría ser un joven mago como los demás y dedicarse a aprender nuevos sortilegios, encontrarse con sus amigos Ron y Hermione y asistir con ellos a los Mundiales de quidditch. Sin embargo, al llegar al colegio le espera una gran sorpresa que lo obligará a enfrentarse a los desafíos más temibles de toda su vida. Si logra superarlos, habrá demostrado que ya no es un niño y que está preparado para vivir las nuevas y emocionantes experiencias que el futuro le depara.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

in memory of Mr. Ridley
and to Susan Sladden,
who helped Harry
out of his cupboard.
The villagers of Little Hangleton still called it 'the Riddle House', even though it had been many years since the Riddle family had lived there.
"Kill the spare"

In this book Harry conquers various tasks via the triwizard tournament, but is this tournament more than Harry can handle?
Headmaster cancelled

the school sports program so that

four kids could hunt eggs.

(CathWhitney)

5 11900

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,535,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible