Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry…

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) (original 2000; edition 2002)

by J.K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter (4)

92,8888385 (4.36)13 / 983
Fourteen-year-old Harry Potter joins the Weasleys at the Quidditch World Cup, then enters his fourth year at Hogwarts Academy where he is mysteriously entered in an unusual contest that challenges his wizarding skills, friendships and character, amid signs that an old enemy is growing stronger.
Member:bluelittlegirl
Title:Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4)
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Info:Scholastic, Paperback, 734 pages

Work Information

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling (2000)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (TeamJacob101)
    TeamJacob101: I Couldn't put it down!
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Santa Olivia is admittedly built for a more mature audience, but the themes, character types, and situations in the Harry Potter series and in Carey's work make me believe a reader who enjoys one will likely enjoy the other. Santa Olivia, though, is not a traditional fantasy, but more in the lines of speculative fiction, so that fantasy-only readers who enjoy Harry Potter for primarily the inclusion of magic may not enjoy Carey's work. I'm recommending it with this Harry Potter book in particular since, for me, this was the book when the series took a leap toward becoming more adult. Santa Olivia is also probably the beginning of a forthcoming series.… (more)
    Dangerous Donkey (Adam Cranford Series) by Alaric Adair (markbiblos)
    markbiblos: A hero teenager doing crazy things under difficult conditions.
    Sasquatch Moon by R. Stone (Anonymous user)
Elevenses (172)
Ghosts (268)

English (777)  Italian (8)  German (7)  Dutch (6)  French (6)  Spanish (5)  Finnish (4)  Swedish (3)  Danish (2)  Arabic (2)  Portuguese (2)  Catalan (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Greek (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (830)
4.75 ( )
  Jonez | Sep 23, 2022 |
I love Harry Potter books and i really like this magical adventure. ( )
  hinusultan | Sep 13, 2022 |
Believe it or not - yes, I finally read the fourth book in the Harry Potter series, a book which made me anticipate the next three installments in the series even more eagerly. A Harry Potter book is no book you simply read; it is a book you are allowed to live in. I don't know any fantasy world which feels as realistic as this one. While the first three books were comparatively short, this one was - so far - the longest with 766 pages. 766 pages? It felt like 300, considering my pace while rushing through this book.
Please choose wisely before reading this review. There are no specific spoilers, but in case you haven't read the first four books in the series, you might want to turn away from this review.

Until now, The Goblet of Fire was the Harry Potter book I enjoyed most because it managed to find the perfect point of balance between the dark, gloomy and complex plot elements surrounding the return of Vol ... sorry, You Know Who, and the light-hearted, funny scenes which managed to conjure a smile on my face whenever another one of those appeared during the course of the book. Still I couldn't bring myself to rate this with five stars, as there were quite a few things which bothered me. (And yes, I know that I am getting myself in severe danger right now with saying this. I will better take to my heels and run as fast as I can after posting this review.)

First of all, in case you have not already realized this during The Prisoner of Azkaban, the Harry Potter series is far away from being a children's book series anymore. Especially in the beginning and the ending, horror elements outweigh everything else, crying at the reader, "This is no children's book you are reading anymore!" Well, then why does J.K. Rowling still constantly fall back to the habit of using childish language? A short search of the story brought up nearly 1,400 exclamation marks. And everytime I stumbled upon yet another one, the only thing I could think of was this picture ...

But well, by now, I have developed a soft spot for Harry Potter books, and sometimes childish writing style is not that bad, just ... kind of annoying. However, quite a few other things bothered me while reading this book, and I will now try to go through them as fast as possible. After all, I have learned one thing about discussions in my school time which still stays with me - list the arguments your reader should forget about first, then he will be even more convinced by the positive arguments you will list afterwards.

► Rita Skeeter. I am sure just dropping her name makes a lot of fans of the series want her to meet a Dementor. However, the way she appeared made me think of her as a pure caricature, causing nothing but trouble, without being even the slightest bit complex, simply annoying and not the least obstacle to write as a character because of her one-dimensional appearance. I would have loved to see some more insight into her character, but sadly ... J.K. Rowling decided to just present us with a caricature.
► How could someone as dumb as Fudge be Minister for Magic? (That's no true criticism. After all, just look at some of our real world's politicians. And yet ... can someone please lock up Fudge right beside Rita?)
► The next tournament should include a World Cup of Perfection. Dumbledore would almost certainly win.
► Why isn't Hermione more prominent? Certain parts of the books made me wish for her character to have a more major role.

Now that the reasons for my 4-star-rating are out of the way, here comes what I loved about the book:

► DOBBY. I know there are quite a few people who didn't like his uncommon behavior, but I fell in love with him. He is probably the cutest and most adorable character of the entire series, and his actions are always based on good-hearted motivations. Go, Dobby!
Socks that scream when they stink? Definitely my favorite moment of the book.
► DRAGONS!
► There are new characters, there are old characters, but they all have a certain depth. (No, Rita, I am not speaking of you.) I especially loved how the dynamics between Ron, Hermione and Harry were explored by throwing some obstacles for their friendships into the game. And this article perfectly highlights why Hermione should have a more prominent role in the books.
► The Triwizard Tournament was pure awesomeness. I loved every part of it, and I am not ashamed to admit it.
► (Almost) nothing is predictable in this series. I was so sure to find out Bagman is the true culprit, but ... J.K. Rowling took my prediction and shred it to pieces. (I only wish that my intention to predict things will not continue to be destroyed by spoilers people seem to carelessly leave all over the internet. I will leave a huge thank you right here to the person who spoiled all the upcoming deaths in the next three books to me ... in a review for the second Harry Potter book. Thank you.)
► There are actually signs of romance! Now let's hope there will be some more developments on the romantic level of these books, because even though I hate when romantic entanglements are thrown into the story just to make sure the reader roots for the oh-so perfect protagonists, these books need some romance. Harry, Ron and Hermione are teenagers now, and I totally want to see them discovering that children aren't born just because two people care about each other.
► I want more of Cho Chang. Seriously.
► Hagrid might not be as cute as Dobby, but he is certainly just as adorable.
► This has the best world-building ever. I never liked the fantasy genre; there was even a time which saw me absolutely and whole-heartedly loathing it.
And then I read Harry Potter.

Two final thoughts on this book:

An athlete: What was the most important moment in the history of sports?
Me: Viktor Krum caught the snitch, but Ireland won.

And finally ...

My reviews in the Harry Potter series:

1) [b:Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone|3|Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)|J.K. Rowling|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1474154022l/3._SY75_.jpg|4640799]: Go to review
2) [b:Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets|15881|Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2)|J.K. Rowling|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1474169725l/15881._SY75_.jpg|6231171]: Go to review
3) [b:Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban|5|Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)|J.K. Rowling|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1499277281l/5._SY75_.jpg|2402163]: Go to review

Order of the Phoenix, here I come. ( )
  Councillor3004 | Sep 1, 2022 |
O quarto livro da série continua extremamente bem construído em suas amarrações e lado detetivesco. Adiciona a isso um arco do torneio bastante satisfatório, com a primeira tarefa emocionando no confronto de Harry contra o dragão. Também contém intrigas amorosas de entrada na adolescência, lidando com maestria, na tomada de consciência de Ron, quanto à Hermione. O livro também tem a função de com essa entrada de temas de paquera, introduzir de fato algo que sinaliza para uma lida com as forças malévolas e que também indica uma passagem de fase de vida, então há de fato uma morte e a operação do luto. De resto, o que é interessante é que temos um tema secundário, que é o da relação entre disposições tendenciais raciais e desenvolvimento de personalidades. Hermione encampa uma jornada sindicalista para liberar os Elfos, mas eles mesmos gostam naturalmente de serem submissos. Os gigantes são ditos violentos e há preconceito contra seus filhos, mas ao mesmo tempo, eram os principais aliados de Voldermort. Os dementores são inerentemente malévolos, mas colocados temporariamente como carcereiros para o lado da justiça. Existe uma certa construção que é verossímil demais, médio-inglesa demais, tanto das intrigas amorosas, com ciúme e papel da mulher como local da beleza e encanto, quanto da relação com os estrangeiros (franceses são garotas lindas, búlgaros são homens rústicos), com o imaginário de outras raças (elfos, gigantes, dementores), não totalmente presos às suas predisposições mas ambiguamente quase-determinados, quanto dos preconceitos como aqueles nos quais as pessoas acreditam na mídia, por mais ridícula que ela seja, filhos de gigantes são violentos, elfos querem mesmo é obedecer, quanto o papel determinante da família e do amor maternal. É tudo muito real no sentido conservador. Dito isso, não é que isso atrapalhe o livro, isso constitui o universo do Harry Potter. Mas basta comparar com outras autoras para sentir o quanto em tudo isso falta progressismo. ( )
  henrique_iwao | Aug 30, 2022 |
My favorite Harry Potter book so far! A great addition to the story! ( )
  MBTC | Jul 9, 2022 |
Tras otro abominable verano con los Dursley, Harry se dispone a iniciar el cuarto curso en Hogwarts, la famosa escuela de magia y hechicería. A sus catorce años, a Harry le gustaría ser un joven mago como los demás y dedicarse a aprender nuevos sortilegios, encontrarse con sus amigos Ron y Hermione y asistir con ellos a los Mundiales de quidditch. Sin embargo, al llegar al colegio le espera una gran sorpresa que lo obligará a enfrentarse a los desafíos más temibles de toda su vida. Si logra superarlos, habrá demostrado que ya no es un niño y que está preparado para vivir las nuevas y emocionantes experiencias que el futuro le depara.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

in memory of Mr. Ridley
and to Susan Sladden,
who helped Harry
out of his cupboard.
The villagers of Little Hangleton still called it 'the Riddle House', even though it had been many years since the Riddle family had lived there.
"Kill the spare"

Harry Potter is midway through his training as a wizard and his coming of age. Harry wants to get away from the pernicious Dursleys and go to the International Quidditch Cup with Hermione, Ron, and the Weasleys. He wants to dream about Cho Chang, his crush (and maybe do more than dream). He wants to find out about the mysterious event that's supposed to take place at Hogwarts this year, an event involving two other rival schools of magic, and a competition that hasn't happened for hundreds of years. He wants to be a normal, fourteen-year-old wizard. But unfortunately for Harry Potter, he's not normal - even by wizarding standards.

And in his case, different can be deadly.
Headmaster cancelled

the school sports program so that

four kids could hunt eggs.

(CathWhitney)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,179,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible