Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K.…

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (original 2000; edition 2003)

by J. K. Rowling, Mary GrandPre (Illustrator)

Series: Harry Potter (4)

90,8528285 (4.36)13 / 969
Fourteen-year-old Harry Potter joins the Weasleys at the Quidditch World Cup, then enters his fourth year at Hogwarts Academy where he is mysteriously entered in an unusual contest that challenges his wizarding skills, friendships and character, amid signs that an old enemy is growing stronger.
Member:nocky
Title:Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Other authors:Mary GrandPre (Illustrator)
Info:Large Print Pr (2003), Paperback, 936 pages

Work Information

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling (2000)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) by J. K. Rowling (TeamJacob101)
    TeamJacob101: I Couldn't put it down!
    Northern Lights by Philip Pullman (Leishai)
    Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis (krizia_lazaro)
    Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey (whitewavedarling)
    whitewavedarling: Santa Olivia is admittedly built for a more mature audience, but the themes, character types, and situations in the Harry Potter series and in Carey's work make me believe a reader who enjoys one will likely enjoy the other. Santa Olivia, though, is not a traditional fantasy, but more in the lines of speculative fiction, so that fantasy-only readers who enjoy Harry Potter for primarily the inclusion of magic may not enjoy Carey's work. I'm recommending it with this Harry Potter book in particular since, for me, this was the book when the series took a leap toward becoming more adult. Santa Olivia is also probably the beginning of a forthcoming series.… (more)
    Dangerous Donkey (Adam Cranford Series) by Alaric Adair (markbiblos)
    markbiblos: A hero teenager doing crazy things under difficult conditions.
    Sasquatch Moon by R. Stone (Anonymous user)
Elevenses (172)
Ghosts (269)

English (770)  Italian (8)  German (7)  French (6)  Dutch (6)  Spanish (5)  Finnish (4)  Swedish (3)  Portuguese (2)  Arabic (2)  Catalan (2)  Danish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (821)
While this review indicates a 2022 read date, I have read the book several times before.
EDIT 2022: I added two thousand more words to the furious blog post I originally wrote in 2019, and the post might need a part II. She's a raging anti-Semite. I watched the Jon Stewart clip and I, a Conservative Jewish person, laughed and agreed with him. I'm so sorry he had to apologize in order to save his career while she wrings out every dollar she can of a series she wrote twenty years ago. This book itself...doesn't hold the same sense of wonder it once did. I feel comfortable not reading it again, and am going through the series to learn if I feel this way about the other books.

EDIT 2021: I wrote a furious blog post about how problematic this series is in 2019, before JKR decided to screech about her terrible opinions about trans women. Trans women are women. This series is problematic for a lot of reasons. I will probably still read it annually for what it represented for me once upon a time.

I read this in two days. I adore the Weasley twins, and I wish I was part of their family. Hagrid continues to warm my heart. Snape continues to fascinate me. Seriously dude, stop bullying your students, and stop being interesting when you're not being a huge jerk. I was delighted to read about Harry's and Sirius' connection developing further. And Professor McGonagall is -fascinating-, and how did I not notice that before, and would she like an assistant? By book two, I realized I was okay with the fact I will drop everything to be her assistant. Less than midway through the novel, I kinda forgot that each book is a whole year in the series, and wondered why the books were so long. It had a lot in it, I remembered as I read on. Parts of this book made me laugh uproariously. Parts annoyed or outraged me. Some made me want to cry. Most of all, I was gleefully swept up in this fantasy.

The most powerful-sad-creepy part in the book took up two pages, and I saw part of the movie, hoping I'd see this scene onscreen: a teenager being dragged away screaming for his father to believe him. The movie...had an adult...who was laughing at his father. LAAAAME. Another reason I can go back and read this book every year is that part. It is the part that has -stuck- with me the most throughout the years when I think of the fourth book in the series. ( )
  iszevthere | Jun 21, 2022 |
Prior to the fourth year of Hogwarts, the Weasleys, Harry, and Hermione travel to watch the Quidditch World Cup. After a rousing game of Quidditch, there is unexpected noise that makes Mr. Weasley realize that something is very wrong - someone has put the Dark Mark in the sky and Deatheaters are torturing whomever they come across.

Harry and his classmates are back for their fourth year at Hogwarts but they have no idea how much things are about to change. At the start of year festivities, Dumbledore announces that Hogwarts will play host to two other schools, Beauxbaton and Durmstrang, as they participate in the Triwizard Tournament. Throughout the year, there are signs that trouble is coming. On top of the rigors of the three feats, the TriWizard Champions must endure, they must also learn how to deal with the opposite sex when they attend the Yule Ball.

The games end when Harry must once again face off with Voldemort in the fight for his life and the safety of those he loves. This time, Harry gets help from some very unexpected visitors and makes Dumbledore aware that Voldemort has returned - Hogwarts and Harry will never be the same.

This is easily my favorite Potter story - while the first three books set the tone and gave the back story, I feel this is where Harry really starts to come into his own. As a side note, this is one of the better Potter movies as well.

The narrator, as always did an amazing job, although his Durmstrang accent sounds far too much like a Scottish lilt in my opinion. Every other character was done perfectly and becomes further embedded in my heart and mind. ( )
  Micareads | Jun 21, 2022 |
9snigger/10 ( )
  Mandalor | Jun 21, 2022 |
Перше читання - у 2002 (ISBN13: 9785353005797)
Читала із захватом, навіть свою станцію метро пропустила =)

Перечитування у 2015:

Непогано. Зовсім непогано.
Ця та В'язень - найкращі книги серії, як на мене.
Реально кайфую від якості перекладу! ( )
  QuirkyCat_13 | Jun 20, 2022 |
I've only ever seen the first HP movie and this is my first time reading the series. Goblet of Fire felt unnecessarily long to me. Still good, just long. ( )
  NicholeReadsWithCats | Jun 17, 2022 |
Tras otro abominable verano con los Dursley, Harry se dispone a iniciar el cuarto curso en Hogwarts, la famosa escuela de magia y hechicería. A sus catorce años, a Harry le gustaría ser un joven mago como los demás y dedicarse a aprender nuevos sortilegios, encontrarse con sus amigos Ron y Hermione y asistir con ellos a los Mundiales de quidditch. Sin embargo, al llegar al colegio le espera una gran sorpresa que lo obligará a enfrentarse a los desafíos más temibles de toda su vida. Si logra superarlos, habrá demostrado que ya no es un niño y que está preparado para vivir las nuevas y emocionantes experiencias que el futuro le depara.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

in memory of Mr. Ridley
and to Susan Sladden,
who helped Harry
out of his cupboard.
The villagers of Little Hangleton still called it 'the Riddle House', even though it had been many years since the Riddle family had lived there.
"Kill the spare"

Harry Potter is midway through his training as a wizard and his coming of age. Harry wants to get away from the pernicious Dursleys and go to the International Quidditch Cup with Hermione, Ron, and the Weasleys. He wants to dream about Cho Chang, his crush (and maybe do more than dream). He wants to find out about the mysterious event that's supposed to take place at Hogwarts this year, an event involving two other rival schools of magic, and a competition that hasn't happened for hundreds of years. He wants to be a normal, fourteen-year-old wizard. But unfortunately for Harry Potter, he's not normal - even by wizarding standards.

And in his case, different can be deadly.
Headmaster cancelled

the school sports program so that

four kids could hunt eggs.

(CathWhitney)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,572,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible