The Katerina Trilogy, Vol. I: The Gathering…

The Katerina Trilogy, Vol. I: The Gathering Storm (edition 2012)

by Robin Bridges (Author)

Member:SaraAnne1030
Title:The Katerina Trilogy, Vol. I: The Gathering Storm
Authors:Robin Bridges (Author)
Info:Delacorte Press (2012), 402 pages

The Gathering Storm by Robin Bridges

I have wanted to read this book since it came out. I just never got around to picking it up. Just so many books, so little time. So it has been sitting on my shelves for years. I recently got books two and three in the trilogy and decided now was the time to finally read it.

I didn’t go into this book with super high expectations because I haven’t really heard much about it. Actually, I don’t think I’ve heard much about the entire trilogy. This might have been a good thing because I ended up really enjoying it. I did have some trouble at first with the names and keeping all the characters straight. However, once I got the hang of it, I really go into the story. I didn’t want to put it down and read it in two days.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book and I can’t wait to read the next one, The Unfailing Light. ( )
  TheTreeReader | Mar 2, 2018 |
more reviews at: thegoddessofbooks.blogspot.com

I find the story of Princess Anastasia fascinating, and was excited to pick up a book about Russian royalty. When the subject of vampires first came up, I was all "meh." But then there were zombies, sorceresses, werewolves, and necromancers. I was all "exciting!" At the beginning Katerina snubs the romance books where the girl ends up falling for what she calls the "surly boy," but she falls for one herself. "Meh" again. But she also wants to be a doctor, and go to medical school, and she's necromancer. "Yay!" Oh, and that thing about "who will she give her heart to?" I'd worry about which side I'm going to fight for in a possible undead war before I went out looking for a husband. ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |
4.5/5
I always approach authors writing about Russia or Russians with great trepidation, because there are very few of them who really know what they are talking about. The majority is happy with dancing bears and rivers of vodka. Robin Bridges, on the other hand, I loved!

I know a lot of people complained about difficult names and bizarre ceremonies, but to be honest, I haven't noticed any of that. Robin Bridges took a beautiful period in Russian history on the verge of great changes and created something magical and enchanting, twisting this or that historical detail to make it all look authentic.

There are secret societies and complicated treaties between vampires and fae living in St.Petersburg. Tsar Alexander is ready to go through a ritual which allows him to become an avatar of a legendary warrior to purge the country of a great evil slowly surrounding his capital. The vampiric Royal family from Montenegro is hoping to charm and ensnare Alexander's son to grab the power in Russia and inadvertently they awaken an ancient evil... Young cadets from aristocratic families, the personal guard of the royal family die one by one in gruesome attacks by a monstrous wolf and then come back as an army of living dead, and only young Katya with her unique gift of necromancy can stop all of these forces.

Katya is a riot, impatient, intelligent, with an impossible dream of becoming a doctor, loyal to her family and fiercely protective of her friends. She hides her gift of necromancy all her life thinking it's evil and shameful, but when she spies a Montenegro princess trying to put a love spell on a tsar's oldest son, she uses her gift to disrupt it and then attracts attention she so wanted to avoid, attention of two princes, George - middle son of the tsar with elven blood and Danilo, a Montenegran Royal with dark powers.

George is angry with her and wants her to stay away from his family, and Danilo wants to marry her and then sacrifice her powers during his ascension to a vampire so his family will be stronger, but when Katya finds out more and more of the dark plot, she has to join forces with George to thwart the Montenegrans.

This book certainly had a feel of Bram Stoker's Dracula, and I loved the little quirks, urgency and menacing moods the plot telegraphed from its beginning till the end. It's mesmerising, full of myths and magic, it's sometimes Gothic, and I would recommend it to any fan of paranormal historical YA like Libba Bray's Gemma Doyle series. The Gathering Light had the same feel about it.

Second book, The Unfailing Light will be out this October. I can't wait! ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I love me some good historical fiction. Throw in some good paranormal elements and you've got me hooked. This book had both! WOO!

I was attracted initially by the premise of magic in Imperial Russia. History is my content area for my Elementary Ed certification, and Russia in particular. So I know the era. I know the legends and I know the superstitions. I love it when a book gets it right. This one got it right. It was a glittering whirlwind of social functions, romance, and imperial intrigue, just like Russia in the late 1800s. The Russians were very superstitious and believed in the occult and magic. I really liked that Bridges incorporated these things into her book.

I loved Katerina and Daryia and I loved that they were strong female characters. I loved that Katerina was determined to enter medical school no matter what. I loved that she didn't swoon over the hot guys (and in fact, had conflict with them) and kept her head in difficult situations (for the most part...one can only do so much against magic).

I really loved the story. I was so caught up in it that I read the book in 1 day and wished I had the time for another read-through. The book had to go to its next home after I finished, but no worries...I'm totally getting a copy for myself.

I loved the flow of the story. It didn't have any of the plot jumpiness that drives me insane. It was seamless, fast-paced, and awesome. The supernatural elements didn't feel forced-they just fit in nicely because the Imperial Russians really did believe in that stuff. It really felt like reading a really fantastically written history book. Weird, I know.

My only complaint?

I have to wait for the next book in the series. I don't want to wait. I want it NOW! And then the next one after that too.

I really, really liked this one...it gets a 'Pick Me' rating for awesomeness! ( )
  emmyson | Oct 9, 2013 |
Not an outstanding or particularly plucky or memorable heroine, but a cute read. ( )
  seekayou | Aug 20, 2013 |
For Parham, who is grander than any duke or prince

In St. Petersburg, Russia, in 1888, royal debutante Katerina Alexandrovna, Duchess of Oldenburg, tries to hide a dark secret--that she has the ability to raise the dead--but when she uses her special skill to protect a member of the Imperial Family, she finds herself caught in a web of intrigue.… (more)

Robin Bridges is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,624,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible