Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

A separate peace by John Knowles

A separate peace (original 1959; edition 1966)

by John Knowles

Member:Ann_H
Title:A separate peace
Authors:John Knowles
Info:Bantam

A Separate Peace by John Knowles (1959)

English (154)  French (1)  All languages (155)
I can't remember my exactly feelings when I read this book in high school. But I just spent the day reading this, and I'll be spending the rest of the day ugly sobbing. ( )
  liannecollins | Apr 18, 2019 |
I dont know why i love this book so much ( )
  JennVelez | Feb 9, 2019 |
I’m not crying, you are! ( )
  kat_the_bookcat | Feb 7, 2019 |
A real page turner. A short expose on the infantile and dark side of being an ambitious teen. Against the back drop of World War II, it was a very moving story of power, fear, resentment, hate and the selfishness of seeing life only from one's own perspective. A very powerful concise story to remind me of my judgments of others. I see why this book made it to the list by the Public Broadcasting System. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
I found this book to be incredibly irritating. Not the worst book I've ever read, but didn’t feel like I could'n relate to the book. I felt like I was just trekking through waiting for it to start getting good, but it never did. ( )
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
To Bea and Jim with gratitude and love
I went back to Devon School not long ago, and found it looking oddly newer than when I was a student there fifteen years before.

A Separate Peace is a story about two young boys who are close friends and go to Devon school together. Phineas, the more athletic of the two, and Gene, the more intellectually inclined seem to balance eachother out. The story is set in New England during WWII. It is full of insight, friendship, and also a tragedy. I really enjoyed this book because I found it to be one of the more interesting yet realistic stories that I have had to read for an English class. It was also fun because in my English class we had to make videos of different scenes of the book and I just had a lot of fun with it.

Set at a boys’ boarding school in New England during the early years of World War II, A Separate Peace is a harrowing and luminous parable of the dark side of adolescence. Gene is a lonely, introverted intellectual. Phineas is a handsome, taunting, daredevil athlete. What happens between the two friends one summer, like the war itself, banishes the innocence of these boys and their world.

A bestseller for more than thirty years, A Separate Peace is John Knowles’s crowning achievement and an undisputed American classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:46 -0400)

Set at a boys' boarding school in New England during the early years of World War II, A Separate Peace is a harrowing and luminous parable of the dark side of adolescence. Gene is a lonely, introverted intellectual. Phineas is a handsome, taunting, daredevil athlete. What happens between the two friends one summer, like the war itself, banishes the innocence of these boys and their world. A bestseller for more than thirty years, A Separate Peace is John Knowles's crowning achievement and an undisputed American classic.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,478,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible