Throne of the Crescent Moon (2012)

by Saladin Ahmed

Series: The Crescent Moon Kingdoms (1)

1,2639313,033 (3.61)1 / 90
Three superheroes in the Crescent Moon Kingdoms bound together by a series of magical murders must work together in a race against time to prevent a sorcerer's plot from destroying the world.
    The Will of the Wanderer by Margaret Weis (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Arabian Nights-flavored fantasy, and both are enjoyable adventure stories.

This book was really, really stupid. Not particularly interesting fantasy, with the distinct advantage of being set in Ye Olde Fake Medieval Baghdad, which is a step up from fantasy set in Ye Olde Fake Medieval Europe. For a while, I thought that one of the characters was actually a girl masquerading as a boy, which I was kind of psyched about, so I was totally disappointed when he turned out to be a boy after all. Goodreads indicates that there's a sequel planned. The world can wait. ( )
  leahsusan | Mar 26, 2022 |
3.5.

I was worried that all of the HEAVILY IMPLIED HINTS were going to be squandered and left for another book (the author seems to be planning on sequels), but most of the ones I remembered got tied in, or hopefully became moot.

Having an older protagonist was nice, and everybody snarked about the teenagers. But everybody seemed a bit too bitter. I guess that was one of the main themes of the book - living with the decisions you made in life - which gave the whole thing a bittersweet feel.

It felt a little too long for what it was, or a little too short to keep fleshing out the world. I am cautiously interested in more. ( )
  Tikimoof | Feb 17, 2022 |
How often do you have a book where one of the main characters is an old fart? How often are books set in the middle east? This book was very entertaining and I eagerly await rereading it when the sequel comes out ( )
  alaharon123 | Feb 2, 2022 |
Interesting. Moves generic dungeons and dragons style fantasy to an Arabic backdrop. The Tigris river, Ancient Egypt, djinn, Khalif, thief prince, etc. make appearances. Heavy characterization with point of view moving from character to character between chapters. Heavily hyped as a new thing and great new writer. I think it is serviceable but not extremely outstanding.

First part of a trilogy but it is self contained. Does not end in a cliffhanger. Most threads tied up at the end but possibilities for sequel left open.
  mgplavin | Oct 3, 2021 |
I really liked this book.

Throne of the Crescent Moon follows a band of somewhat unlikely heroes as they're off to save the day. You have an old ghul hunter (one of the last of his kind), a whirling dervish (I'd never before looked up what that actually meant), an alchemist and her mage of a husband, and a shape shifter who can take the form of a golden lion.

Arrayed against them; a beastie from the time of the dead gods raising a whole bunch of ghuls. Also a corrupt all powerful ruler and the Robin Hood esqe figure who may or may not be any better in the end.

One thing that I really loved about this book: the world. It's based on Arabic influences rather than the pseudo-European that I've seen in most of the fantasy I've read. Better yet, the Arabic influence is woven throughout the story in a way that just makes it come alive. You have sights and sounds and history and magic, all with (to me) a very new feel to it. If you've read a similar selection to me, this is worth reading just for that.

On top of that, I liked the relatively large ensemble cast. Even though we had five main characters and a whole pile of supporting cast (see above), I really thought that each had their own voice and I was greatly amused and intrigued with how each of them interacted with one another.

All together, it's a neat book. Especially after everything shakes out in the end, I wish the sequel were out already (planned release in 2016). What I think I really need is to do is to go find other fantasy novels from non-European authors... ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
Set in a quasi-Middle Eastern city and populated with the supernatural creatures of Arab folklore, this long-awaited debut by a finalist for the Nebula and Campbell awards brings The Arabian Nights to sensuous life. The maturity and wisdom of Ahmed's older protagonists are a delightful contrast to the brave impulsiveness of their younger companions. This trilogy launch will delight fantasy lovers who enjoy flawed but honorable protagonists and a touch of the exotic.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (Jan 1, 2012)

Saladin Ahmedprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

To my parents, Ismael Ahmed, and the late Mary O'Leary, who introduced me to the fantastic world of books; to my wife, Hayley Thompson, who supported me in countless ways as I wrote this one; and to my children, Malcolm and Naima, who make this broken world beautiful enough to keep living and writing in, this is for you.
Nine days. Beneficient God, I beg you, let this be the day I die!

From Saladin Ahmed, finalist for the Nebula and Campbell Awards, comes one of the year's most anticipated fantasy debuts, THRONE OF THE CRESCENT MOON, a fantasy adventure with all the magic of The Arabian Nights.

The Crescent Moon Kingdoms, land of djenn and ghuls, holy warriors and heretics, Khalifs and killers, is at the boiling point of a power struggle between the iron-fisted Khalif and the mysterious master thief known as the Falcon Prince. In the midst of this brewing rebellion a series of brutal supernatural murders strikes at the heart of the Kingdoms. It is up to a handful of heroes to learn the truth behind these killings:

Doctor Adoulla Makhslood, "The last real ghul hunter in the great city of Dhamsawaat," just wants a quiet cup of tea. Three score and more years old, he has grown weary of hunting monsters and saving lives, and is more than ready to retire from his dangerous and demanding vocation. But when an old flame's family is murdered, Adoulla is drawn back to the hunter's path.

Raseed bas Raseed, Adoulla's young assistant, a hidebound holy warrior whose prowess is matched only by his piety, is eager to deliver God's justice. But even as Raseed's sword is tested by ghuls and manjackals, his soul is tested when he and Adoulla cross paths with the tribeswoman Zamia.

Zamia Badawi, Protector of the Band, has been gifted with the near-mythical power of the Lion-Shape, but shunned by her people for daring to take up a man's title. She lives only to avenge her father's death. Until she learns that Adoulla and his allies also hunt her father's killer. Until she meets Raseed.

When they learn that the murders and the Falcon Prince's brewing revolution are connected, the companions must race against time--and struggle against their own misgivings--to save the life of a vicious despot. In so doing they discover a plot for the Throne of the Crescent Moon that threatens to turn Dhamsawaat, and the world itself, into a blood-soaked ruin.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,304,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible