Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed

Throne of the Crescent Moon (2012)

by Saladin Ahmed

Series: The Crescent Moon Kingdoms (1)

9666913,367 (3.63)1 / 85
Recently added byrena75, Colberforth, wisemetis
    The Will of the Wanderer by Margaret Weis (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Arabian Nights-flavored fantasy, and both are enjoyable adventure stories.

An enjoyable fantasy where both the setting and the magic are based on the Arabic tradition. While the story lacked a certain pull, I really enjoyed the main characters, from the kind old ghul hunter Adoulla, to the serious and pious Raseed and fiery Zamia. I also really liked the original setting - the overpopulated, magical city of Dhamsawaat.

Magic is possibly a little too present, as it is practically spraying from every corner. A better approach would have been to focus on one or two kinds of magic and use it sparingly.

Another thing I also liked was the length of the novel, or rather the lack of it. Fantasy novels tend to be thick as a phone book, but not this one. This, combined with the original setting and mythology, makes for a really enjoyable read. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
I liked it ok. Interesting setting and a few compelling characters. In some ways too surface level, formulaic, and reliant upon gender essentialism for me to get immersed in. ( )
  emeraldreverie | Nov 15, 2018 |
Entertaining and fun, great male characters with complicated motives. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |
I really wanted to enjoy Throne of the Crescent Moon—it's a Hugo-nominated epic fantasy set in an Islamicate world where a khalif rules over an alternate medieval Egypt, ghuls stalk the unfortunate and shapeshifters protect nomadic tribes. Sadly, the basic premise is about as original as Saladin Ahmed's writing gets. The plotting and characterisation are tropy and dull, and fail to live up to the intriguing if chilling promise of the first chapter.

Plus, any book which features a capable and experienced female character, in the middle of a fight scene, thinking "She was a woman. God had not made her body for this" is just not working to get on my good side. A disappointment. ( )
  siriaeve | Jun 5, 2018 |
Awesome! ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
Set in a quasi-Middle Eastern city and populated with the supernatural creatures of Arab folklore, this long-awaited debut by a finalist for the Nebula and Campbell awards brings The Arabian Nights to sensuous life. The maturity and wisdom of Ahmed's older protagonists are a delightful contrast to the brave impulsiveness of their younger companions. This trilogy launch will delight fantasy lovers who enjoy flawed but honorable protagonists and a touch of the exotic.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (Jan 1, 2012)

Saladin Ahmedprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents, Ismael Ahmed, and the late Mary O'Leary, who introduced me to the fantastic world of books; to my wife, Hayley Thompson, who supported me in countless ways as I wrote this one; and to my children, Malcolm and Naima, who make this broken world beautiful enough to keep living and writing in, this is for you.
Nine days. Beneficient God, I beg you, let this be the day I die!

From Saladin Ahmed, finalist for the Nebula and Campbell Awards, comes one of the year's most anticipated fantasy debuts, THRONE OF THE CRESCENT MOON, a fantasy adventure with all the magic of The Arabian Nights.

The Crescent Moon Kingdoms, land of djenn and ghuls, holy warriors and heretics, Khalifs and killers, is at the boiling point of a power struggle between the iron-fisted Khalif and the mysterious master thief known as the Falcon Prince. In the midst of this brewing rebellion a series of brutal supernatural murders strikes at the heart of the Kingdoms. It is up to a handful of heroes to learn the truth behind these killings:

Doctor Adoulla Makhslood, "The last real ghul hunter in the great city of Dhamsawaat," just wants a quiet cup of tea. Three score and more years old, he has grown weary of hunting monsters and saving lives, and is more than ready to retire from his dangerous and demanding vocation. But when an old flame's family is murdered, Adoulla is drawn back to the hunter's path.

Raseed bas Raseed, Adoulla's young assistant, a hidebound holy warrior whose prowess is matched only by his piety, is eager to deliver God's justice. But even as Raseed's sword is tested by ghuls and manjackals, his soul is tested when he and Adoulla cross paths with the tribeswoman Zamia.

Zamia Badawi, Protector of the Band, has been gifted with the near-mythical power of the Lion-Shape, but shunned by her people for daring to take up a man's title. She lives only to avenge her father's death. Until she learns that Adoulla and his allies also hunt her father's killer. Until she meets Raseed.

When they learn that the murders and the Falcon Prince's brewing revolution are connected, the companions must race against time--and struggle against their own misgivings--to save the life of a vicious despot. In so doing they discover a plot for the Throne of the Crescent Moon that threatens to turn Dhamsawaat, and the world itself, into a blood-soaked ruin.

Three superheroes in the Crescent Moon Kingdoms bound together by a series of magical murders must work together in a race against time to prevent a sorcerer's plot from destroying the world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,122,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible