Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site (2011)

by Sherri Duskey Rinker

Other authors: Tom Lichtenheld (Illustrator)

Series: Construction Site (1)

At sunset, when their work is done for the day, a crane truck, a cement mixer, and other pieces of construction equipment make their way to their resting places and go to sleep.

Totally inspired. Wonderful bedtime book for my truck obsessed child. Bonus--it uses the correct names for the trucks!
  readingjag | Nov 29, 2021 |
A classic of the bedtime book genre, full of cute trucks with their blankies and teddy bears. ( )
  KSchellVT | Sep 2, 2021 |
Adorable and nicely calm

Great for bedtime, full of evocative pictures with expressive characters and beautiful subtle backgrounds. would recommend for bedtime reading for any 2-6 year old. ( )
  wishanem | May 27, 2021 |
Not bad, but not the best of the bunch. It is a fun little rhyming ABC book full of all things construction. It’s a solid read that many kids will love. ( )
  LibrarianRyan | Feb 25, 2021 |
Delightful and well-written long-form poetry that anthropomorphizes construction equipment going to sleep. Gorgeous illustrations too (I particularly appreciate the Z's of sleep turning into a steel frame of a building). Alas, there isn't a female pronoun to be found in the book. ( )
  acbt | Feb 8, 2020 |

Sherri Duskey Rinkerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lichtenheld, TomIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For one blue-eyed boy and one brown-eyed boy and the world of wonder and possibility I see through their eyes. And, always, for Faith.—S. R.

To Jan, for sharing a dream.—T. L.
Down in the big construction site,
The tough trucks work with all their might
To build a building, make a road,
To get the job done—load by load!

For me, the powerful aspect to this book is the rhyming aspect. It seems children appreciate the rhythmic quality and certainly research shows this approach can be powerful for early development. As the book's title gives away, this book is about a construction site being put to bed. The author gives a sort of human quality to the construction site machinery. One thing I might do with this one is not put a gender to the machines. I found myself taking the word "him" out when I read it to children so not to assume machinery would have to have a macho quality.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,812,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible