The Last Dragon (2011)

by Jane Yolen, Rebecca Guay (Illustrator)

19332112,062 (3.78)7
Two hundred years after humans drove the dragons from the islands of May, the last wyrm rises anew to wreak havoc, with only a healer's daughter and a kite-flying, reluctant hero standing in its way.

Everyone knows that all the dragons are gone. They were killed off years and years ago. Before that they wrecked havoc on people, the sweetest meat. But heroes came and killed them all.

But in the town of Meddlesome something is stirring. The herbalist has gone missing. A baby has been stolen from his cradle, and all over the island sheep and cattle are going missing. Finally the truth come out. Hundreds of years after the dragons were believed extinct, one has returned! A hero is needed before this last dragon rises and attacks again.

I loved the artwork in this book. It really is gorgeous. You can see more from the artist on her site http://www.rebeccaguay.com/. And the story isn’t too shabby either.

I liked it, although I never quite loved it, it is well worth a read. Although I prefer when my dragons are the fearsome all devouring beasts but have some personality. In this book the dragon is the monster, the adversary to be overcome. And a terrifying and scary monster he is. That is just a personal preference. As a whole I felt that the story just didn’t tie together totally. From the prologue bit I thought we were going to sympathise with the dragons, but then they turned into the bad guys. So I’m not sure about that aspect. But it is worth it for the artwork alone.

http://www.susanhatedliterature.net/2012/05/the-last-dragon/ ( )
  Fence | Jan 5, 2021 |
Absolutely gorgeous art for a simple - perhaps too simple - fairy tale. ( )
  kaitlynn_g | Dec 13, 2020 |
Pretty good premise, and excellent illustrations! Recommended for people who enjoy Dragon stories ( )
  EBassett | Mar 20, 2019 |
The Last Dragon could have been drawn from the pages of Grimm's Fairy Tales. To focus first on the illustrations, Rebecca Guay has earned her rightful place in my hall of amazing fantasy artists. Her illustrations are delicate, intricate, and flowing. It is impossible not to notice them as you read. I loved how they seemed to move and writhe on the page, and I can't deny that I fell in love from the very first panel. If I had to choose my favorite part of this graphic novel, it would absolutely be the illustrations.

As far as the story goes, it is simplistic in the best way possible. Paired with illustrations that bring it to life, Jane Yolen shares the story of a witty young girl and a deceptive hero. I adored Tansy and her story! A dragon hatches and begins to torment her home. Of course the men believe they need a hero, and set off to find one in another city. What they get, well....he isn't quite a hero. However Tansy brings out the best in him, and they save the day. Sound like your typical fairy tale? You are correct. It's absolute perfection. For me, the one thing that was missing was just length. I really wanted to know more.

I think the humor in this book is well placed, albeit a little bit more geared toward young readers. I giggled at the anachronistic way a young boy yelled "Cool!" in one the panels. I think this is a perfect graphic novel for middle grade students who are trying to branch out. There is very mild fantasy violence, and it is such a positive story. ( )
1 vote roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
It was fine. Very pretty. Story was evocative of classic fairy tales with a good flow. Pretty standard, didn't stray from a classic path. ( )
  emeraldreverie | Nov 15, 2018 |

Jane Yolenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guay, RebeccaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Is an adaptation of

For Glen, Maddison, Alison,
David, and the twins, Caroline and
Amelia, who are all magic.

-JY

For Matt and Vivian.
-RG
There is a spit of land near the farthest shores of the farthest islands known as Dragonfield.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,487,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible