Bedbugs by Ben H. Winters

Bedbugs (2011)

by Ben H. Winters

English (44)  Italian (2)  All languages (46)
This book made me itchy. Seriously, I couldn't put the damn book down, but I itched the entire time I was reading it. Family moves into a extremely affordable apartment and cannot believe their luck. The landlady seems a little odd, but she's old and kind of eccentric. The wife thinks she sees bedbugs and becomes obsessed. No one else can find any. Are they bedbugs or badbugs?

Ending totally surprised me. Was not expecting it and being caught off guard is a nice surprise. Good read! ( )
  bookwormteri | Dec 11, 2014 |
This book reminded me of the movie "Bug", I was certain the woman was nuts. The ending was just so out there and kind of ruined the whole experience. ( )
  lesindy | Nov 1, 2014 |
"Jesus H Christ," you're saying. "Get off the Ben H. Winters kick, for the love of all that's holy and good. It's like you're feckin' stalking him, for crying out loud."
Look. Let's just everybody calm down, okay?
What *happened* was I was in the library. I was nearly done with The Last Policeman. I searched the library database (no card catalog, what are we, barbarians?). They had Countdown City! Woohoo! Upstairs, in fiction!
So up I went. W - W - W - W, Winters, here we go... The Last Policeman... Bedbugs... ugh. That's it. No Countdown City. The computer lied to me. So I grabbed Bedbugs. It looked reasonably entertaining, anyway.
Trudged downstairs. The kids and I checked out our books. Thought of the shelves near the checkout desk, the new releases shelves... figured I'd check it out... No, no such, HANG ON! COUNTDOWN CITY! Woo!
So I *did* get Countdown City... and then I *did* get World of Trouble on the iPad, because I couldn't make it to a bookstore or wait for Powells to mail it off to me.
And when I was done with those... well, I had this other library book to read... and so I did.

Bedbugs was fine. A fun little horror story. Not The Last Policeman, by any means, but the writing wasn't bad. I hated the protagonist, she just wasn't a likable character, as other people have mentioned, but it was an interesting experience, reading a horror book about someone to whom you kind of hope bad things are going to happen. Again, as with The Last Policeman, you kind of knew how it was going to shake out... and, as I've professed elsewhere, I don't usually go out of my way to try and figure out whodunit, so maybe Ben Winters just isn't great at disguising mysteries. But, hey ho, it gave me something to read.
I *was* interested in the differences between the bios for Mr. Winters between Bedbugs and the Last Policeman trilogy -- Bedbugs, pre-Last Policeman he mentions his past as co-author with Jane Austen on some of the Jane Austen Book and Some Sort of Monster series, but once he gets his trilogy he seems to have buried that a little deeper, so much so that it doesn't warrant a mention in the bio. Of course, with his recent success, why would he, right?

Next up, a review of Ben H. Winters's shopping list from last Friday. ( )
  mhanlon | Aug 14, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Bedbugs was one of those horror books that made me paranoid. I mean, good horror books always make me paranoid, but this one kind of took it to the extreme. I have huge bedbug paranoia, always have. Bedbugs kind of made it worse. So, Bedbugs gets a point for giving me the creeps.

However, paranoia and mild creeps aside, I did find Bedbugs to be kind of...forgettable. I read tons of horror and this one just didn't make that big of an impression.

Overall, I found Bedbugs to be just okay. It wasn't bad, but there wasn't anything memorable about it. ( )
  silenceiseverything | May 12, 2014 |
This is a great little horror story if you want a quick scare that doesn't really linger. I wouldn't call it cinematic necessarily, but it does read like the plot of a movie. We have the story from an increasingly unreliable narrator whose monomaniacal obsession (with bedbugs) begins to rival that of Captain Ahab's (with the white whale). And then the story it goes from psychological torture to "what the hell, where did that come from." So, like a lot of horror stories (films included), it suffers from third act issues. There are a lot of avenues left unexplored, unexplained, and just completely incongruous with the rest of the story. But it is diverting, and, for a good while, it is scary. Ultimately enjoyable, so long as you don't over think it. ( )
  JessicaReadsThings | Nov 12, 2013 |

Winters, Ben H.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Katerinov, IlariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pushnik, JonathanPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Di
"Hey Al. Come look at this one."

Alex and Susan Wendt are the perfect couple in search of the perfect brownstone-and they find their dream house in the heart of Brooklyn Heights. Sure, the landlady is a little eccentric, and the handyman drops some cryptic remarks about the previous tenants. But the rent is so low, it's too good to pass up!

Big mistake: Susan soon discovers that the brownstone is crawling with bedbugs . . . Or is it? She awakens every morning with fresh bites, but neither Alex nor their daughter Emma has a single welt. Exterminators search the property and turn up nothing. Neighbors insist the building is clean. Susan fears that she's going mad-but as the mysteries deepen, a more sinister explanation presents itself: She may literally be confronting the bedbug problem from hell.

An understated horror story filled with loving references to Rosemary's Baby and other classic tales of urban paranoia, Bedbugs will keep your skin crawling into the wee hours of the night.

Susan and Alex Wendt have found their dream apartment, and the rent is so low it's too good to pass up. Susan soon awakens every morning with fresh bites, but neither Alex nor their daughter Emma has a single welt. Is it bedbugs? An exterminator searches the property and turns up nothing. The landlady insists her building is clean. Susan fears she's going mad-- but she may literally be confronting the bedbug problem from Hell...… (more)

25 wanted1 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Bedbugs by Ben H. Winters was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,873,577 books! | Top bar: Always visible