Bedbugs by Ben H. Winters

Bedbugs (2011)

by Ben H. Winters

English (46)  Italian (2)  All languages (48)
I got this book because it was on sale and I recognized the author's name from the Last Policeman series (and I have a weakness for apoc stories)... I didn't actually know anything about the story, or even what genre it was. Turns out I quite liked it. It is in the horror genre which does make sense, but it is a terror-horror, not a slash and gash. There is some thought put into the characters, and we get to see the descent of one of them from normalcy to insanity - or DO we?

It is not the deepest storyline you'll come across, and it is not The Shining in its psychological deterioration terror, but it is strong enough that I would have been willing to pay full price for it. How could it have been better? Maybe if we liked the main character a bit more (she was really a bit of an entitled beotch, even without the terror component making her more so). Overall, it is an entertaining and quick, non-slashy story and I will keep my eyes open for more books by Winters. ( )
  crazybatcow | Jul 9, 2016 |
I don't know what it is with Ben H. Winters that I love so much. Maybe it's his seemless and perfect blending of archetypal genre fiction with a contemporary literary sensibility. Like The Last Policeman, Bedbugs plays with all the props of a 80s suspense paperback while making a real connection with the characters. Like Rosemary's Baby, the book spins a dark tale of obssession and madness as its characters have their minds, and home, invaded by bedbugs. Like any Hitchcock move, the story ends with a twist to end all twists.
This books ticks all the boxes, surplanting Winters as the consummate contemporary genre-master, fusing the past and future into a suspense fiction tale of the present tense. ( )
  TorSRThidesen | Mar 28, 2016 |
This book made me itchy. Seriously, I couldn't put the damn book down, but I itched the entire time I was reading it. Family moves into a extremely affordable apartment and cannot believe their luck. The landlady seems a little odd, but she's old and kind of eccentric. The wife thinks she sees bedbugs and becomes obsessed. No one else can find any. Are they bedbugs or badbugs?

Ending totally surprised me. Was not expecting it and being caught off guard is a nice surprise. Good read! ( )
  bookwormteri | Dec 11, 2014 |
This book reminded me of the movie "Bug", I was certain the woman was nuts. The ending was just so out there and kind of ruined the whole experience. ( )
  lesindy | Nov 1, 2014 |
"Jesus H Christ," you're saying. "Get off the Ben H. Winters kick, for the love of all that's holy and good. It's like you're feckin' stalking him, for crying out loud."
Look. Let's just everybody calm down, okay?
What *happened* was I was in the library. I was nearly done with The Last Policeman. I searched the library database (no card catalog, what are we, barbarians?). They had Countdown City! Woohoo! Upstairs, in fiction!
So up I went. W - W - W - W, Winters, here we go... The Last Policeman... Bedbugs... ugh. That's it. No Countdown City. The computer lied to me. So I grabbed Bedbugs. It looked reasonably entertaining, anyway.
Trudged downstairs. The kids and I checked out our books. Thought of the shelves near the checkout desk, the new releases shelves... figured I'd check it out... No, no such, HANG ON! COUNTDOWN CITY! Woo!
So I *did* get Countdown City... and then I *did* get World of Trouble on the iPad, because I couldn't make it to a bookstore or wait for Powells to mail it off to me.
And when I was done with those... well, I had this other library book to read... and so I did.

Bedbugs was fine. A fun little horror story. Not The Last Policeman, by any means, but the writing wasn't bad. I hated the protagonist, she just wasn't a likable character, as other people have mentioned, but it was an interesting experience, reading a horror book about someone to whom you kind of hope bad things are going to happen. Again, as with The Last Policeman, you kind of knew how it was going to shake out... and, as I've professed elsewhere, I don't usually go out of my way to try and figure out whodunit, so maybe Ben Winters just isn't great at disguising mysteries. But, hey ho, it gave me something to read.
I *was* interested in the differences between the bios for Mr. Winters between Bedbugs and the Last Policeman trilogy -- Bedbugs, pre-Last Policeman he mentions his past as co-author with Jane Austen on some of the Jane Austen Book and Some Sort of Monster series, but once he gets his trilogy he seems to have buried that a little deeper, so much so that it doesn't warrant a mention in the bio. Of course, with his recent success, why would he, right?

Next up, a review of Ben H. Winters's shopping list from last Friday. ( )
  mhanlon | Aug 14, 2014 |

Winters, Ben H.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Katerinov, IlariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pushnik, JonathanPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Di
"Hey Al. Come look at this one."

Alex and Susan Wendt are the perfect couple in search of the perfect brownstone-and they find their dream house in the heart of Brooklyn Heights. Sure, the landlady is a little eccentric, and the handyman drops some cryptic remarks about the previous tenants. But the rent is so low, it's too good to pass up!

Big mistake: Susan soon discovers that the brownstone is crawling with bedbugs . . . Or is it? She awakens every morning with fresh bites, but neither Alex nor their daughter Emma has a single welt. Exterminators search the property and turn up nothing. Neighbors insist the building is clean. Susan fears that she's going mad-but as the mysteries deepen, a more sinister explanation presents itself: She may literally be confronting the bedbug problem from hell.

An understated horror story filled with loving references to Rosemary's Baby and other classic tales of urban paranoia, Bedbugs will keep your skin crawling into the wee hours of the night.

Susan and Alex Wendt have found their dream apartment, and the rent is so low it's too good to pass up. Susan soon awakens every morning with fresh bites, but neither Alex nor their daughter Emma has a single welt. Is it bedbugs? An exterminator searches the property and turns up nothing. The landlady insists her building is clean. Susan fears she's going mad-- but she may literally be confronting the bedbug problem from Hell...… (more)

29 wanted2 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Bedbugs by Ben H. Winters was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,693,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible