A espada encantada by Marion Zimmer Bradley
Marion Zimmer was born in Albany, NY, on June 3, 1930, and married Robert Alden Bradley in 1949. Mrs. Bradley received her B.A. in 1964 from Hardin Simmons University in Abilene, Texas, then did graduate work at the University of California, Berkeley, from 1965-67. She was a science fiction/fantasy fan from her middle teens, and made her first sale as an adjunct to an amateur fiction contest in Fantastic/Amazing Stories in 1949. She had written as long as she could remember, but wrote only for school magazines and fanzines until 1952, when she sold her first professional short story to Vortex Science Fiction. She wrote everything from science fiction to Gothics, but is probably best known for her Darkover novels. In addition to her novels, Mrs. Bradley edited many magazines, amateur and professional, including Marion Zimmer Bradley's Fantasy Magazine, which she started in 1988. She also edited an annual anthology called Sword and Sorceress for DAW Books. Over the years she turned more to fantasy; The House Between the Worlds, although a selection of the Science Fiction Book Club, was "fantasy undiluted". She wrote a novel of the women in the Arthurian legends -- Morgan Le Fay, the Lady of the Lake, and others -- entitled Mists of Avalon, which made the NY Times best seller list both in hardcover and trade paperback, and she also wrote The Firebrand, a novel about the women of the Trojan War. Her historical fantasy novels, The Forest House, Lady of Avalon, Mists of Avalon are prequels to Priestess of Avalon She died in Berkeley, California on September 25, 1999, four days after suffering a major heart attack. She was survived by her brother, Leslie Zimmer; her sons, David Bradley and Patrick Breen; her daughter, Moira Stern; and her grandchildren.… (more)
Member:-Lu-
Title:A espada encantada
Authors:Marion Zimmer Bradley (Author)
Info:Círculo do Livro
Collections:Your library, Tenho, Lidos, Conferir
Rating:***

The Spell Sword by Marion Zimmer Bradley (1974)

The Forbidden Tower by Marion Zimmer Bradley (rat_in_a_cage)
    rat_in_a_cage: Fortsetzung der Abenteuer von Andrew Carr, Damon Ridenow, Callista und Ellemir Lanart

English (5)  French (1)  All languages (6)
Action. Adventure. Romance. Cat people. Good, not great. Okay, not bad. This book shows promise. I mean, I think I've got to read some other Darkover novels before I can really appreciate it. But really, a fun read. ( )
  bemidt | Apr 20, 2016 |
  bemidt | Apr 20, 2016 |
I'm a fan of Marion Zimmer Bradley, but my affection for her rests not on the Avalon books, which I didn't care for, but her Darkover series. Darkover is a "lost colony" of Earth that falls into a medieval society. Ruled by a psychic aristocracy, it is later rediscovered by a star-spanning high-tech human federation after centuries, giving the series a feel of both science fiction and fantasy. Most books in the series examine this culture clash and this book is no exception as it focuses on a Terran, Andrew Carr, exploring Darkover, crashes on the planet, and becomes involved in helping to save a member of the Comyn, the planet's aristocracy. The series as a whole features strong female characters, but it has enough swashbuckling adventure to draw the male of the species, and indeed this series was recommended to me by a guy (when we were in high school!)

Although some books are loosely connected, having characters in common, they were written to be read independently and were written out of sequence. This makes it difficult without a guide to know what story to start with. This short book was published in 1974, when MZB was beginning to come into her own as a writer. I might not ordinarily recommend The Spell Sword as a starting point, as it's not one of the best books in the series, but it is a direct prequel to one of the absolute best Darkover books, The Forbidden Tower, which received a Hugo nomination for best novel. (And that one I'd rate five stars.) ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Oct 22, 2012 |
The Spell Sword was a bit strange for me because all of the Darkovan novels I've read previously (the Renunciates books, plus Stormqueen!, Hawkmistress! and Darkover Landfall) have focused on women as central characters. The Spell Sword has two viewpoint characters, and they're both men. This book also has less of a feminist focus: the plot is more about defeating an external enemy than the developing strengths of the characters, which in Bradley's work (that I've read) tends to involve fighting institutional sexism.

I was intrigued by the female characters, who are twins and end up romantically involved with the male leads. It's easy to see why this particular plot wouldn't allow them to be the viewpoint characters, and I liked the romance, but I would have liked a deeper characterization of these two women much better.
  dorothean | Jan 5, 2009 |
The Spell Sword took a while to pick up (as is the case with most of Bradley's novels). Earthman Andrew Carr receives a telepathic distress call from a young Keeper named Callista Lanart and, affected by her in a way that his many previous lovers did not, requests a permanent assignment on Cottman IV/Darkover to the mapping section, only to be the sole survivor when the mapping plane crashes during a fierce winter storm in the Hellers (a mountain range noted for its nasty weather). Meanwhile, reluctant near-Keeper Damon Ridenow (who was hopelessly in love with the Keeper who trained him, the "unattractive," middle-aged Leonie Hastur), en route to a kinswoman's castle, loses all of his escort party to invisible foes who prove to be catmen (rendered here as "cat-men;" in Rediscovery, co-written with Mercedes Lackey, they were called "catmen"). Arriving at the Alton Domain, he discovers his kinswoman, twenty-year-old Ellemir Lanart, distraught over the abduction of her twin sister, the Keeper Callista; Ellemir is even more distraught over the fact that she cannot telepathically contact her.

As one might expect, Andrew Carr survives thanks to Callista's telepathic urgings, and eventually makes his way to the Alton Domain, where his claims to have had visions and mental conversations with the spitting image of Ellemir are grudgingly believed when Damon is able to ascertain that the Terranen does indeed have laran, or psychic powers. When the Alton lord, Dom Esteban, returns with the remnants of his expedition after a successful engagement with invisible cat-men, Damon is able to construct a plan to rescue Callista from "the darkening lands" that have fallen under the sway of the laran of the cat-men. As Dom Esteban, though in his sixties still the doughtiest warrior and greatest swordsman of the Domains, has been paralyzed from the waist down, he has to resort to his laran -- the Alton Gift, whereby he may dominate another man's thoughts and movements -- to impart to the scholarly Damon his own wondrous swordsmanship. Hence the "spell sword" of the title: Dom Esteban's sword has a first-level matrix ("starstone") in its basket hilt which facilitates his taking over the reflexes and voluntary movements of whoever holds it.

The Spell Sword was OK; though a very short novel, the dense type and Bradley's uneven writing made it feel like it was at least a hundred pages longer. I have to admit that I liked it enough, despite her usual flaws (and despite the fact that Callista was a particularly pallid Ophelia, always weeping and on the verge of collapse; sure, she was under a deal of strain, but come on!), to want to read the next Darkover book (chronologically speaking), The Forbidden Tower, in the near future. ( )
  uvula_fr_b4 | Aug 19, 2006 |
Encore un terrien qui doit se faire accepter par les ténébrans... C'est l'un des rares livres où les non-humains de Ténébreuse apparaissent et se montrent si dangereux. Ce livre est intéressant, car il met en scène la famille Alton, qui dans les cents ans à venir va peser si fort dans la destinée de Ténébreuse...

Un beau roman, passionnant du début à la fin, qui fait la part belle aux dialogues actifs, plaçant l'action pure au second rang sans que cela soit gênant. Comme dans L'étoile du danger, un terrien s'introduit dans la société fermée des Ténébrans, s'y adapte et s'y fait adopter alors que tout jouait en sa défaveur, les préjugés des deux camps, leur méconnaissance mutuelle, leurs différences en dépit d'une souche probablement commune, leur orgueil. Tous ces obstacles une fois abolis deviennent positifs et scellent l'amitié entre le terrien et les Ténébrans. Mais le rapprochement se fait petit à petit, au compte-gouttes, et il faudra bien d'autres romans avant de voir les terriens pactiser avec Ténébreuse...
added by Ariane65 | editFiction, Éric SANVOISIN (Dec 1, 1988)

Marion Zimmer Bradleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barr, GeorgeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hescox,RichardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siudmak, WojtekCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for
Caradoc
L'épée enchantée... L'histoire de Ténébreuse était pleine de telles armes : la légendaire épée d'Aldones dans la chapelle de Hali, une arme tellement ancienne - et au combien redoutable - qu'aucun vivant ne savait la manier ; l'épée d'Hastur, au château Hastur, dont on disait que quiconque la titait pour autre chose que la défense de l'honneur des Hastur, elle lui ferait sauter la main comme du feu...
He had flloed a dream, and it had brought him here to die.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,824,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible