Handmaid and the Carpenter by Elizabeth Berg

Handmaid and the Carpenter (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Elizabeth Berg

4582041,161 (3.11)21
We see Mary, young, strong, and inquisitive, as she first meets Joseph, a serious-minded young carpenter who is steadfastly devoted to the religious traditions of their people. The two become betrothed, but are soon faced with an unexpected pregnancy. Aided by a great and abiding love, they endure challenges to their relationship as well as threats to their lives as they come to terms with the mysterious circumstances surrounding the birth of their child, Jesus. For Mary, the pregnancy is a divine miracle and a privilege. For Joseph, it is an ongoing test not only of his courage but of his faith, in his wife as well as in his God.… (more)
Member:BKEPUB
Title:Handmaid and the Carpenter
Authors:Elizabeth Berg
Info:Random House
Tags:Spirituality, Religion, Historical, Inspirational

The Handmaid and the Carpenter by Elizabeth Berg (2006)

I was looking for some Christmas-y reading - doesn't get much more so than this. But it is always tricky to fictionalize the Bible or round out characters we don't know much about. That is what Berg tries to do here and while it isn't a total failure, it still feels contrived and leading and false. Was Mary really that spunky? Was Joseph really that young? It is a beautifully imagined relationship between the 2, but I guess I prefer the mystery and more one-dimensional Christmas creche characters. I was hoping for some reflection and Truth, but ended up with more questions and doubts than anything. ( )
  CarrieWuj | Oct 24, 2020 |
The Bible does not have a lot on the story of Mary and Joseph, so there has always been a lot of interpretations that differ. I liked that this Mary had a little bit of spunk with her faith, but I was displeased that Joseph didn't know more about prophecy as he was the one who could read. I am glad that he finally believed before he died. ( )
  eliorajoy | Nov 28, 2019 |
Just a bit TMI on the relationship between Mary and Joseph IMHO. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Story of Mary and Joseph
Listened read by Author ( )
  Indygirl | Aug 5, 2016 |
This was a good book. At first, I was a little iffy on the doctrine. After all, if you are going to write about Christ, the least you can do is study and stay true to the Bible. However, it turned out to be a nice telling of the Christmas story and made Mary and Joseph seem very real.

Unlike the other book I read on the birth of Christ, Two From Galilee, this one portrayed Joseph much more like I thought he would be at the news of Mary's pregnancy. He didn't simply take it in stride, letting it fall by the wayside because of his love for her. No, he got angry and sought to divorce her privately, as it details in the Bible.

The other touching moment of the story was a forward in time to Joseph's death. The last moments of Mary and Joseph were very touching, as she prepared her heart to raise Jesus, as well as her other children, as a newly single mother, with His fate in mind.

Recommended. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,399,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible