dismiss

Time of the Dark

Time of the Dark

Series: Darwath (1)

1,2061111,143 (4.04)42
A California medieval scholar is pulled into a far-off magical world--and a fight to save mankind--in this novel by a New York Times-bestselling author.   As a student of medieval history, Gil Patterson is a woman familiar with dark stories. She knows well the Crusades, the Black Death, and the other horrors of the Middle Ages, but it is another kind of atrocity that has begun to haunt her dreams. She sees forces of evil assaulting a beleaguered kingdom, whose kind people are on the brink of annihilation, and awakes each morning in a cold sweat.   Gil dismisses the dreams until a wizard appears in her apartment. He has crossed into her dimension, passing through the fraying fabric of the universe, to ask her help. For mankind to survive he must protect an infant prince, whom he plans to hide in Gil's world. The student of history is about to get much closer to evil than she ever imagined.   This ebook features an illustrated biography of Barbara Hambly, including rare photos and never-before-seen documents from the author's personal collection.… (more)
Member:Thogek
Title:Time of the Dark
Authors:
Info:Ballantine Books, Paperback
Rating:*****

The Time of the Dark by Barbara Hambly

Recently added byggoldby, edstockwell, Dejah_Thoris, private library, Michael_Blair, pnficara, andthenifell

Back in the early 1980s, I walked into a bookstore and fell in love with a cover. It showed a wizard, seated at what looked like a kitchen table, with a staff in one hand and a beer can in another with a bag of potato chips at his feet. I immediately bought the novel, this very book. I read it and loved it as it featured a strong, capable female character. Gil Patterson was a scholar who was drawn into another world and made a place for herself.

Of course, the story is far more than that. The Dark is feeding on the other world's people and must be kept from entering our mundane world. And there is Rudy, also from the mundane world who gets taken into Darwith. There is darkness and horror -- this nearly qualifies as dark fantasy. There are politics and religion. The characters grow and change.

I was worried that my decades-old memories wouldn't live up to today's reading. I am so glad that I still love this book. On to the next one!

Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys well-written fantasy. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Aug 25, 2019 |
Unlike another recent Nostalgic Reread, this one, while dating itself slightly with a some temporally specific anchors meant to connect to reader to the characters (and possibly confusing to newer readers 30 or so years down the road), stood the time test. Engaging and entertaining, I remembered along the way why I recalled this as a favorite from long ago.

This is a universe crossover that is better than the average genre attempt. I like the writing as it is accessible and thoughtful, and the story is not hackneyed. The central magician is both typical and not - the invariable mysteriously powerful and other the other hand, approachable. There are two "this world" characters who cross, and both being atypically crafted, their "other side" roles are also atypical. I am being deliberately obtuse so as to not spoil anything for a first time reader. You'll see what I mean if you decide to read the series. And if you don't, you're missing something.

For my Year of Nostalgic Rereads, this series is a welcome return. For that, I bump it one more star. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
Similar to the Windrose Chronicles, a young educated woman from our world is thrust into a medieval world of magic and danger. She, a chance-met biker named Rudy, and the greatest magician of the realm travel together to defeat the mysterious Dark beings that are rapidly destroying life and civilization as they know it. I really liked how aware some of the characters were that their society was teetering on the brink of losing its knowledge, art and hard-won cohesion. The more insightful were very afraid, not only of the Dark, but that they would be pushed back into the keeps that dotted the realm and stop prizing anything beyond survival. Despite that consideration, which I don’t think I’ve seen outside of the better Arthurian tales, this was not a great book. I wasn’t interested in any of the main characters, and I found The Dark far too nebulous to be threatening. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I like reading Barbara Hambly books. I like re-reading them especially, as her books put me in a nostalgic frame of mind - remembering afternoons spent in the library searching for, then reading unread sci-fi paperbacks, folded into the most convenient chair. ( )
  sdmouton | May 19, 2015 |

Barbara Hamblyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Giancola, DonatoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattingly,David B.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'conner, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Laurie
Gil knew that it was only a dream.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,597,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible