Traveling with the Dead by Barbara Hambly

Traveling with the Dead

by Barbara Hambly

Series: James Asher (2)

Recently added byprivate library, CazF, nonsense, danielfruth, blacksylph

English (7)  Spanish (1)  All languages (8)
a sequel to Those who Hunt the Night. Didn't finish it. Didn't catch my attention and couldn't get me interested in the 105 pages I read. I am done with reading a whole book just to finish. It was boring political intrigue and the vampires played almost no part in the bit I read. I want action, no oh, lets jump on THIS train and follow Count X blah, blah, blah"." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
The sequel to Those Who Hunt the Night. James and Lydia Asher, an academic couple in Victorian England, must once more venture into vampire society. Their growing understanding of their (few) vampiric allies puts pressure on their morals and their marriage—it’s hard to maintain a moral high ground when your bodyguard kills to survive. Hambly is one of the only authors to remember that old vampires should not think or react like people from our society. Born into a set of rules and mores that are often no longer even remembered, they are historical documents in and of themselves, and possibly more dangerous because of it. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
A Slow Set-Up

Hoped to like this Paranormal set in the Victorian era but found the story very slow to develop, and in the end, unexciting.

Can't recommend it. ( )
  Zumbanista | Jul 19, 2012 |
I liked this book, but not as well as the first one, Those Who Hunt the Night. Perhaps because we see less of James, the hero, and more of his somewhat maddening wife Lydia, it is not quite as fun. She is well drawn as a lady of her times, which, despite her determination and courage, sometimes makes her look like a bit of an idiot. And her noble determination to starve the vampire whose supernatural strength and wits she needs to survive is, eh, not that smart. Don Simon's poetry is rather lovely, and worth the price of the book. ( )
3 vote ecolenca | Sep 1, 2011 |
JAMES ASHER
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |

Hambly, Barbaraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jackson, GildartNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For George

With a prayer in the shadow
of the Aya Sofia
Prologue: The house was an old one, inconspicuous for its size.
Chapter One: All Souls and black rain, and cold that passed like needles through flesh and clothing to scrape the bones inside.
James had warned her, and now she knew from terrifying experience, how fast vampires could move, but she also knew that males as a species tended to potter, fidgeting endlessly with cravats and shifting coins, notebooks, and theater tickets from pocket to pocket as if fearing they would capsize if not properly trimmed. She wondered if death altered this. (Chapter 3, p.50)
"I am assured that the cook is up to the most exacting of standards. Certainly, for English, she will suffice." (Don Ysidro, Chapter 10, p.152)
"It is a terrible mistake to put the rifles of tomorrow into the hands of the ignorance of yesterday." (Monsieur Demerci, Chapter 20, p.307)
"I think all would have been well, had not Karolyi chosen to make what he could of the chance, to try to force Ernchester into the service of his country." His eyes, in their dark hollows, were dying coals of some old rage. "Country. We the Undead at least were human once. Our sins are human sin. Magnified a million times, but human. These countries, these nations -- they are not human. They care not what they use, so long as it serves them. They care not what they do, and their sins are far beyond ours, literally of a different nature." (Olumsiz Bey, Chapter 21, p.318)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345407407, Mass Market Paperback)

Down through the deathless centuries, the vampires had drunk human blood for sustenance and for sport. They preyed where they willed, for no mortal humans could resist their unclean powers. But now came the ultimate perversion, the unthinkable: someone was conscripting the vampires into the secret services of a foreign power.

No government agency or bureaucrat could control the Undead. The idea was absurd, as Dr. James Asher knew all too well.

Years in His Majesty's service had taught Asher the finer points of espionage. And he knew the secrets of the vampires--a familiarity hard-won in unwilling service to Don Simon Ysidro, oldest and most subtle of the hunters of the London night. What Asher didn't know was why one of England's established vampires would risk everything to travel across the European continent at the behest of a ruthless spymaster.

But he could see the terrifying potential of such an unholy alliance...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:05 -0400)

Former British secret service agent James Asher squares off with Don Simon Ysidro, oldest and most cunning of London's vampires. A tale of international espionage involving foreign governments in league with vampires. A sequel to Those Who Hunt the Night.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,350,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible