The Member of the Wedding (New Directions…

The Member of the Wedding (New Directions Paperbook) (edition 1988)

by Carson McCullers

With compassion, veracity and wit, inThe Member of the Wedding Carson McCullers depicts the intrinsically enmeshed lives of whites and blacks in the American South. Julie Harris became a star playing the awkward, twelve-year-old tomboy Frankie Adams, who falls deeply in love with her older brother and his fiance. Exhilarated by her naive conviction that being a member of their wedding means she will become what she calls the "we of me," Frankie is devastated when she learns she is not invited on the honeymoon. Bernice Sadie Brown, who has experienceda lifetime of love and loss, is a surrogate mother for Frankie. Portrayed on stage and in the film versions by the great Ethel Waters, Bernice is an epic character, fiercely loyal, down-to-earth, and centered by deep faith.… (more)
Member:NEOFUT
Title:The Member of the Wedding (New Directions Paperbook)
Authors:Carson McCullers
Info:New Directions Publishing Corporation (1988), Edition: Play, Paperback, 118 pages
Tags:Plays

The Member of the Wedding: A Play by Carson McCullers

Digital audiobook performed by Jena Malone, Ruby Dee and Victor Mack (Recording of a live performance of LA Theatreworks)

Twelve-year-old Frankie Adams is bored with life and longing for adventure, for a sense of belonging to something “bigger.” When her older brother comes home on leave from the Army, to marry his girlfriend Janice, she becomes obsessed with the wedding and what it may mean for her own future.

This is the stage adaptation of Carson McCullers classic coming-of-age novel.

Carson McCullers has a way of writing her characters that draws the reader into their very souls. Frankie’s journey through this phase of adolescence is at once painfully distressing, funny and charming. I was, in turns, afraid for Frankie and amused by her.

I listened to the audio which is wonderfully acted by Ruby Dee, Jena Malone and Victor Mack. These talented actors really bring the characters to life. Ruby Dee plays Berenice, the family maid, who tries her best to guide Frankie. Jena Malone is perfect as the adolescent Frankie, full of dreams and plans one minute, and wallowing in misery the next. ( )
  BookConcierge | Aug 27, 2017 |
This Play is very close to me. Frankie's agony of being so uncomfortable in her own skin, and her own mind. She's just can't see why she doesn't flow with the rest of the world, and it is absolutely unbearable. Frankie is right between the older, wiser Bernice, and the young, innocent (enough) John Henry. Though, both end up frustrating Frankie to violence. Frankie and Bernice have some of the most simple, yet eloquent expressions of emotion and conflict I've heard. ( )
  prophetess7 | Jul 25, 2011 |
CD - I didn't read this, I listened in the car. I enjoyed the mixed cast a lot. Story is good; everything can change before you realize it. ( )
  jjsreads | Apr 7, 2007 |
Please do not combine this stage play adaptation with either Carson McCuller's original novel, the related Bloom's Guide , or other treatments of the story. Thank you.

Legacy Library: Carson McCullers

Carson McCullers has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Carson McCullers's legacy profile.

See Carson McCullers's author page.

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,399,526 books! | Top bar: Always visible