My Name Is Elizabeth! by Annika Dunklee

My Name Is Elizabeth! (2011)

by Annika Dunklee

Other authors: Matthew Forsythe (Illustrator)

This book is about a little girl names Elizabeth who is very proud of her name. A lot of people tend to pronounce her name wrong and this angers her because she loves her name so much. By the end of the book she is able to get people to say her name correctly and that makes her happy.
I really liked this book because I can relate it to my own experiences as a young girl. My name is not spelled how it is normally spelt so a lot of people would pronounce it wrong. I would get very upset because I really liked my name too. A lot of children have names that people may not be able to pronounce, so I think this book would be great in a classroom. It is important to be proud of your name and I think this can teach young children that is great to be proud of their name! ( )
  KailiMarion | Sep 16, 2018 |
Summary: Elizabeth really likes her name, her full name. She likes its length, the way it feels when she says it, and also that there is a queen named after her. But she doesn't like it when people shorten it to things like Liz, Lizzy, or Beth. So she announces that her name is ELIZABETH Alfreda Roxanne Carmelita Bluebell Jones. But you can just call her Elizabeth. Now everyone has it right, except for one little person, her younger brother. It's close enough when he calls her "Wizabef."

Personal Reaction: I think this book is super cute how she only wants to be called by her name and not a nickname to shorten it.

Classroom Extensions: I would use this book for like the first day or first weeks of school. We would be getting to know everyone's name.
  Darcy_Davenport | Nov 27, 2017 |
I understood the frustration Elizabeth has when people call her Liz or Beth or even Betty. Some people call me Jackie or even Jack! I don't like Jackie and I really don't like Jack. I like my full name, Jacqueline, just like Elizabeth likes her full name. ( )
  jherrera | Nov 2, 2017 |
I thought this book was really cute. I think it would be really easy for children to relate to it because children have very strong opinions and may not like being called by a different name. I think it is good to call a child by whatever they decide because it is an easy way to show them you respect them and that they are valued. This would be a good book because for children because it is repetitive and a quick read. I liked that the main character quickly said that her name is Elizabeth and not anything else. And in return she called them by the name they prefer. The main idea of this story was that many times people may get your name wrong but you have to be patient with them and just let them know that you wish to be called by a different name.
  kmckne1 | Oct 10, 2017 |
Elizabeth Alfreda Roxanne Carmelita Bluebell Jones loves her name, and insists that family, friends and acquaintances call her Elizabeth, not Lizzy, Liz, Beth or (heaven forbid!) Betsy. Eventually she gets the people in her life trained properly, although a baby sibling's 'Wizabef' is judged close enough...

This entertaining title from Canadian author/artist team Annika Dunklee and Matthew Forsythe, both of whom made their book debuts here, features an engaging story and appealing illustrations. As someone who insisted as a child on being called 'Abby,' rather than 'Abigail,' and who had a sister called 'Betsy' (NEVER 'Elizabeth!'), I found My Name Is Elizabeth! charming, and applaud the idea that we should let children themselves decide what they want to be called. For my part, I was eventually reconciled to Abigail, and now prefer it, although Betsy (my Betsy) never did take to Elizabeth. Recommended to anyone looking for children's stories addressing the issue of names and nicknames. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jun 21, 2017 |

Annika Dunkleeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Forsythe, MatthewIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Elizabeth is tired of everyone shortening her first name and calling her Lizzie, Liz, or Beth, but suffers in silence, until one autumn day when her impatience gets the best of her and she learns an important lesson about tact and grace.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,991,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible