Dream Work by Mary Oliver

Dream Work (edition 1986)

by Mary Oliver

Dream Work, a collection of forty-five poems, follows both chronologically and logically Mary Oliver's American Primitive, which won for her the Pulitzer Prize for the finest book of poetry published in 1983 by an American poet. The depth and diversity of perceptual awareness-so steadfast and radiant in American Primitive-continue in Dream Work. Additionally, she has turned her attention in these poems to the solitary and difficult labors of the spirit-to accepting the truth about one's personal world, and to valuing the triumphs while transcending the failures of human relationships. Whether by way of inheritance-as in her poem about the Holocaust-or through a painful glimpse into the present-as in "Acid," a poem about an injured boy begging in the streets of Indonesia-the events and tendencies of history take on a new importance also. More deeply than in her previous volumes, the sensibility behind these poems has merged with the world. Mary Oliver's willingness to be joyful continues, deepened by self-awareness, by experience, and by choice.… (more)
Member:sueonline
Title:Dream Work
Authors:Mary Oliver
Info:The Atlantic Monthly Press (1986), Paperback, 90 pages

Dream Work by Mary Oliver

I am brand new to reading Mary Oliver. This was a lovely place to start. ( )
  Smokler | Jan 3, 2021 |
My friend Becca gave me a book of poetry called Dream Work by Mary Oliver. I finished reading the poems today. Definitely worth a look, I really enjoyed them. Many of the poems had notes of sadness but each had some centering core that pulled you out of the harried world we live in at the moment. It then changed the point of view and placed you back in the world. The feelings that I experienced while contemplating this perspective change is why I enjoyed these poems. Further, it’s why I like poetry in general. To me, poems are like the shortest of short stories, and they must create or recover a deep emotion quickly.

My favorite poems from this collection were: Wild Geese, Members of the Tribe, The Journey, Sunrise, The Waves, Acid, The Moths, and Coming Home. ( )
1 vote drew_asson | Dec 3, 2020 |
If the doors of my heart
ever close, I am as good as dead.

A balanced, comfortable collection. ( )
1 vote drbrand | Jun 8, 2020 |
I like Mary Oliver's poetry but for some reason, I found that many of the poems in this volume, especially at the beginning, didn't speak to me. On the whole, I liked the second part of the book best; these poems were more nature-centered.

That being said, poetry for me is very sensitive to my mood so it may be that I would love these poems at some different time. ( )
1 vote leslie.98 | May 4, 2020 |
This was a great, small collection of poetry that won the Pulitzer back in the day. Oliver manages to convey much, and variate her style and meaning, depending on the context and the larger idea of her individual poems. There is much to like here, from the longings to the images and even towards the appeals for greater sanctity. This is not a collection to be missed- it deserves acclaim.

4.25 stars. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Jul 21, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,609,496 books! | Top bar: Always visible