I Want My Hat Back (2011)

by Jon Klassen

Series: My Hat (1)

A bear almost gives up his search for his missing hat until he remembers something important.

English (248)  French (1)  All languages (249)
A student recommended this to me and once I read it to the class, they all loved it. It is about a bear who loses his hat and goes looking for it. He asks each animal he meets (including a rabbit who is wearing the had and lies) but each time an animal says they haven't seen it, the bear is polite and says thank you. Finally the bear realizes rabbit had it and lied so he goes back to get it. If you read this book with dramatic timing and build up anticipation, it is great fun. ( )
  Sstenson | Jul 28, 2021 |
children's picture book - 2012 Geisel Honor. A very polite bear goes looking for his hat and in the end (spoiler alert) finds it... and eats the thief. While the carnivore action happens off-screen (off-page) the reader has been trained by the end of the book to see through the bear's vehement denial of his actions. This was especially interesting to read after finishing "The Secret Life of Pronouns" which takes an in-depth look at word patterns as lie detectors.

update: I read this one to several 1st-3rd grade classes and it was a hit every time. This is Not My Hat was also good, but didn't pack as much of a wallop. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
This is a fun story that follows a bears' journey to find his lost hat. The bear loses his hat and begins to question everyone he comes across. After hearing an interesting answer, the bear begins to backtrack and start remembering where he had last seen his hat. This would be a fun book to incorporate into a lower grades classroom, as is provides humor and an entertaining story with some good lessons. ( )
  kaylc05 | Nov 20, 2020 |
(illustration) In this book, a bear loses his hat, and he goes around asking everyone if they have seen it. No one recalls the hat, but later on the bear realizes he saw the rabbit wearing it. He goes back to claim the hat, eating the rabbit in the process. Something I enjoyed in this book was the changing font color when different animals were talking and how the text and the animal colors correlated. I believe this is a good illustrated book to show to children because the illustrations are simple but they tell parts of the story that the text doesn’t. The bear’s hat is also red and noticable whenever it’s seen in the story, and the page’s background is red when the bear remembers where he saw the hat. This is a good book to read to children because the bear always thanks whoever he is asking and tries to be polite, even if the other characters are rude. The book also throws in some unexpected humor at the end when the bear eats the rabbit who was wearing his hat.
  briannawallace | Sep 10, 2020 |
A funny story about a bear who goes in search of his lost hat.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Sep 2, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

My Hat (1)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,427,889 books! | Top bar: Always visible