Creating Short Fiction: The Classic Guide to…

Creating Short Fiction: The Classic Guide to Writing Short Fiction

by Damon Knight

Distilled from decades of teaching and practice, Creating Short Fiction offers no-nonsense advice on structure, pacing, dialogue, getting ideas, and much more. It includes examples and exercises that have proved their extraordinary effectiveness in classrooms and workshops everywhere. Creating Short Fiction is a timeless classic that brims with priceless advice for anyone interested in writing short stories.… (more)

English (4)  Dutch (1)  All languages (5)
This is now my most dog-eared writing reference book. It's put together in just the right way to help me. ( )
  Lndlindsey | Mar 9, 2018 |
I felt like less went over my head than it did years ago when I read it the first time, and that makes me happy, like I'm smarter or more perceptive now.

Simple, practical and insightful writing advice. ( )
  bradsucks | Aug 18, 2008 |
Damon Knight created SFWA--the professional organization for science fiction and fantasy writers--and co-founded both the Milford and Clarion writing workshops, and was a very fine author and critic. His credentials for producing an instructional book on short story writing were impeccable.

Creating Short Fiction clearly and carefully leads a new writer through the process of writing short stories, from idea generation and development to first and subsequent drafts. His advice is wise and detailed, and he includes one of his own short stories which he deconstructs almost line by line to show what he did and why he did it.

Despite the book's age, it remains, in my opinion, the best work of its kind available. ( )
  Jagami | Jun 21, 2008 |
A good resource, brief, and filled with exercises and instructions that would help one learn to write. ( )
  jpsnow | Mar 14, 2008 |

Knight, Damonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eickholt, FonsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gijsen, LidyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Robin Scott Wilson, who unlocked the door, and to Carol Cartaino and Howard I. Wells III, who opened it wide.
In a remarkable book called You Are Extraordinary, Roger J. Williams wrote that if there were as much variation in the visible parts of our anatomy as there is in our internal arrangements, some of us would have noses the size of navy beans and some the size of watermelons.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,783,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible