Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home (2011)

by Jeni Britton Bauer

Cooking & Food. Nonfiction. HTML:

**In recognition of Quality, Excellence, and Design, this ebook has been granted a QED seal of approval from Digital Book World.**

"Ice cream perfection in a word: Jeni's." ‚??Washington Post

James Beard Award Winner: Best Baking and Dessert Book of 2011!

At last, addictive flavors, and a breakthrough method for making creamy, scoopable ice cream at home, from the proprietor of Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams, whose artisanal scooperies in Ohio are nationally acclaimed.

Now, with her debut cookbook, Jeni Britton Bauer is on a mission to help foodies create perfect ice creams, yogurts, and sorbets‚??ones that are every bit as perfect as hers‚??in their own kitchens. Frustrated by icy and crumbly homemade ice cream, Bauer invested in a $50 ice cream maker and proceeded to test and retest recipes until she devised a formula to make creamy, sturdy, lickable ice cream at home. Filled with irresistible color photographs, this delightful cookbook contains 100 of Jeni's jaw-droppingly delicious signature recipes‚??from her Goat Cheese with Roasted Cherries to her Queen City Cayenne to her Bourbon with Toasted Buttered Pecans. Fans of easy-to-prepare desserts with star quality will scoop this book up.

How cool i… (more)

ice cream cookery. novelty ingredients (including light corn syrup as sweetener) make these recipes unlikely to be used in my kitchen, but I did appreciate the tips on using ice cream makers at the beginning, including the need to completely freeze the canister 24 hours ahead of time--which I most certainly would not have thought to do. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Don't like her ice cream recipes as much. In an effort to reduce using so many egg yolks, she creates a milk/corn starch slurry, uses corn syrup, and also incorporates a salted cream cheese (I used mascarpone). It's not bad, but if you are taking all the time to make homemade ice cream (and this actually takes *more* time than using egg yolks), I'd rather it not have a slightly processed flavor. I found it tasted different from other homemade ice cream I've made before. There are good sorbet recipes, however. ( )
  SaraMSLIS | Jan 26, 2016 |
How's your life? Pretty good? Okay?
Want to be happier? Make ice cream from this book. Seriously, they are recipes for happiness. The happiest ice cream in the whole world. And you made it yourself! In your own kitchen with ingredients that you bought in whole form from your favorite market!
Recommended for anyone who loves good, quality food and a higher standard of living. ( )
  JLSmither | Aug 22, 2013 |
Read it cover to cover and then ordered an ice cream maker immediately. Can't wait to make some lemon sorbet, salty caramel and queen city cayenne!! ( )
  wwrawson | Mar 31, 2013 |
I was led to Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home by the folks at The Bitten Word food blog. Like many, I had an ice cream maker gathering dust in the basement. While the 2 recipes I tried were yummy (Strawberry Buttermilk and Rhubarb), I still won't be making my own ice cream regularly. While her technique is easier than making custard with eggs, it is still too time consuming to do on a regular basis. ( )
  JLsBibliomania | Mar 31, 2013 |

Cooking & Food. Nonfiction. HTML:

"Ice cream perfection in a word: Jeni's." ‚??Washington Post

James Beard Award Winner: Best Baking and Dessert Book of 2011!

How cool i

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 202,119,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible