Acorna's Children: Second Wave by Anne…

Acorna's Children: Second Wave (2007)

by Anne McCaffrey, Elizabeth A. Scarborough (Author)

Series: Acorna (9), Acorna's Children (2)

2007 (3) Acorna (24) acorna series (5) Acorna's Children (6) Book 8 (1) borrowed (2) death (2) disease (3) dragons (2) ebook (2) fantasy (17) fiction (12) hardcover (2) Jackie (1) Khorii (2) LB (1) Miranda (2) mothers and daughters (1) plague (2) read (4) science fiction (41) sf (4) sff (3) Shelf 5 (1) space (2) space travel (3) thirties (1) to-read (6) unicorns (4) unread (5)

This series just doesn't have the charm that the original Acorna series had. I don't know if it's because we're not discovering as many different worlds and cultures or if it's due to having Khorii as a main character, but there's definitely something missing. However, for fans of the series, this is still enjoyable and worthwhile. It's a fast read and this one does a better job of tying into the latter part of the original series than First Warning did.

This book is a good set-up for what's to come. I think the last book of the series is going to be extremely exciting. Not only is the plague transforming into an unknown entity that even Khorii doesn't seem able to fight, old enemies are coming back (as the summary says).

Khorii is a bit whiny for my taste, but she does what she needs to do. She has some awesome moments in this book, one with a shady trader, and some others with futuristic pirates. Sometimes I really miss the presence of Acorna's adoptive fathers. Instead, Khorii hangs out with kids whose parents were the victims of the plague. It fits into the story line, but I don't think there are any really strong characters in this series, which bothers me a bit.

What I like about this book is that Khorii seems to be coming into her own. Without the help of her parents, she's maturing and learning how to manage by herself. Also, the entire book is suspenseful. You know something really bad is going on, but all the characters seem to pass it off as something odd but not incredibly important. In the end, the begin to figure it out. This is at once frustrating and necessary, because it most definitely kept me turning the pages.

I would recommend this for those who have already read the original Acorna series. If you're just now getting into this series, don't start with Acorna's Children. It's not as good and you won't catch the references made to the previous series. ( )
  sedelia | Sep 9, 2011 |
2006
  infpgirl | Aug 10, 2010 |
Something had been niggling at me during the previous book (first warning), but I brushed it off. I realized what it was during this second novel. The writing feels off. Maybe it's because we're dealing with essentially child/preteen protanganist for the most part, but I felt like the novel was written worse than Anne's normal works. I felt like I was reading something far below even the young adult line. ( )
  shavienda | Jul 29, 2010 |
  shavienda | Jul 29, 2010 |

Anne McCaffreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Scarborough, Elizabeth A.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gambino, FredCover artistmain authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to the owners,
Julie and DAvid McCulloch and staff of the
Elevated Ice Cream Company and Candy Shop
of Port Townsend, Washington.
where much of this book was written.

Our character seem to really enjoy joining us and the laptop in the plush booths with the red tabletops and telling us about their adventures while we drink green tea and eat Guittard dark chocolate ribbons.
The scream awakened Khorri from a deep and well-earned sleep.

It is difficult growing up in the shadow of heroes revered throughout the galaxy. But that is the lot of young Khorii—daughter of the legendary Acorna and her lifemate, Aari—who must now follow her own destiny through a fantastic universe of wonders and perils.

Khorii became a hero in her own right as she fought to save the universe from a mysterious, deadly plague that not even the healing powers of the Linyaari could stop.

Now, confined with the rest of the survivors on Paloduro, the home planet of the disease, it seems as if the danger may be fading, and Khorii and her friends may be able to stem the tide of death and disease . . . until ominous signs indicate that the perpetrators are near and that the epidemic is only beginning. As old enemies reemerge and a shocking family secret is revealed, Khorii must unlock the malevolent mysteries of the deadly pestilence with the aid of her android "brother" before their unknown foes complete their covert mission to cripple the entire star system.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:00 -0400)

Khorii, daughter of the near-mythic Acorna and her lifemate, Aari, must contend with an overwhelming legacy to forge a path of her own through a universe filled with new adversaries and adventures.A simple journey home to visit her parents turns into a race against time when Khorii happens upon a derelict spacecraft drifting in space, its crew dead in their seats. But this gruesome discovery is only a dread harbinger ? a deadly plague is spreading across the universe and not even the healing powers of the Linyaari can slow its horrific advance. Khorii, one of the few unaffected by the outbreak, must find the nefarious perpetrators and a cure before the disease consumes all in its path ? including her beloved parents.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,236,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible