Hannah is My Name by Belle Yang

Hannah is My Name

by Belle Yang

This is a cute, hope-filled story about seeking freedom and a better life. Na-Li and her family immigrated from Taiwan to the United States where they wait for their green cards. She has to navigate her way through a different culture, school, language, and even a new name: Hannah. After months of anxiously waiting they receive their green card, and Hannah finally feels that America is home.
Writing in Hannah’s point of view was a charming touch. By doing so I feel as though we aren’t just reading about her life, we are being taken on her journey. Children also tend to be more honest with their thoughts and emotions and I think Yang really portrayed that.
I like how the time period is left anonymous until she adds the detail of Martin Luther King’s death. It also makes it a more special and genuine story knowing it is based off of the author’s early years in America in the 1960s. Yang’s rich illustrations brought all of the words and emotions to life.
This was a sincere and authentic story of hope, family, and opportunity. ( )
  MegWilliams | Feb 13, 2019 |
This story is about an immigrant family learning to adapt into a different culture and society which is great for children ages 4 and up because in school there are many children going through the same situations and I thought the story was great. ( )
  anapaulangel | Nov 25, 2018 |
This book shares with children the experience of being an immigrant in the United States and the process of becoming a citizen. Very colorful art and a moving and detailed story of the process of becoming and American. Also shows children the journey of adapting to a new school, new language and new community... all children will be able to identify with some aspect of this young girl’s experience.
  rosemaryandfrancis | Nov 13, 2018 |
"Hannah is My Name" is about a young girl and her family that moved from Taiwan to America. The author shows us how a lot of immigrant families feel when coming to America. I love how the author used events to describe what era the book was written in. ( )
  slumar | Oct 5, 2018 |
This book can provide a better understand of what families can go through if they are immigrants from another country. It describes hardships and includes information about the Chinese Culture and would excellent to read during a social studies lesson. ( )
  rferia | Oct 2, 2018 |

With Chinese-influenced paintings in jewel-like colors, Belle Yang tells an immigration tale that reflects one of the many facets of the American dream.

Hannah is my name in this new country. It doesn't sound at all like my
Chinese name, Na-Li, which means beautiful.

It's a long way from Taiwan to San Francisco, but Hannah's family has made the journey because they want to make America their home. Here in America, Baba tells his daughter, people are free to say what they think, and children can grow up to be whatever they choose. And so Hannah takes a new name, begins a new school, learns a new language, and starts to adjust to a new way of life. Meanwhile, they all wait — and hope — for the arrival of the green cards that will assure they are finally home to stay.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:33 -0400)

A young Chinese girl and her parents emigrate to the United States and try their best to assimilate into their San Francisco neighborhood while anxiously awaiting the arrival of their green cards.

Belle Yang is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763622230, 0763635219

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,633,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible