Dave Gorman vs. the Rest of the World: If…

Dave Gorman vs. the Rest of the World: If Life's a Game...Let's Play! (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Dave Gorman (Author)

PLAYAWAY. Dave Gorman likes playing. So he knocked on the biggest door you could imagine - the internet - and asked 76,000 people if they fancied a game. Dave travelled the length and breadth of Britain meeting strangers and getting some hardcore game action. He met all sorts of people - and it turns out us Brits are a competitive bunch! And it seems that playing games can teach you a lot about what makes the British tick. Of course, Dave hasn't been keeping score. Much.… (more)
Member:joeshuter
Title:Dave Gorman vs. the Rest of the World: If Life's a Game...Let's Play!
Authors:Dave Gorman (Author)
Info:Ebury Press (2012), Edition: Reprint, 344 pages

Dave Gorman vs. the Rest of the World by Dave Gorman (2012)

I’ve been a fan of Dave Gorman for a long time – his tv shows and stage shows (I’m lucky enough to have been him live) are always witty and entertaining, and his books are always a good source of amusement. In this book, he basically travels around England playing games with strangers. He plays traditional games such as Cluedo, Ping Pong, Darts and Poker, and some other games which were – to me at least – unknown, such as Khett, Kubb, Smite and erm…Rod Hull’s Emu Game (I know who Rod Hull and Emu are obviously. I did not know that there was such a game. And neither did Dave!)

Gorman is an affable and engaging narrator and while the book is not constantly hilarious, it is amusing and made me laugh out loud on a number of occasions. There is at least one episode which took both myself and Dave Gorman himself by complete surprise, and when you’ve finished the book I am sure you will know which one I mean.

Overall, a lovely read which I would definitely recommend. Also, I now would love to find a local Smite team to join! ( )
  Ruth72 | Jul 7, 2020 |
Not his funniest. But if you are a Gorman fan then give it a go ( )
  PDCRead | Apr 6, 2020 |
Started well but became somewhat monotonous and boring towards the end. ( )
  JonBurton | Jan 26, 2016 |
"Life is the name of the game,And I wanna play the game with you.Life can be terribly tame,If you don't play the game with two.Yeah, life is a go-as-you-pleaseAnd I need some place to go with you.Life can be oh, such a tease,If you don't play the game with two."Bruce Forsyth
To Beth
'Okay, children, just stand back and let these people through.'

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,235,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible