Soul Clothes

by Regina D. Jemison

Here's your invitation to join a literary as well as a personal relationship with the deeply insightful and profoundly expressive perspectives of Regina Diane Jemison. As you encounter these soul-stirring pieces, you may imagine listening to one of God's own trombones. The poetry, prose and personality in Soul Clothes, may rub up on a curious and compassionate place within you, a place of stark reality drenched in divine hope. Imagine a John Coltrane solo, with words instead of tenor sax. Soul Clothes is one poet's passionate expression of what it is to be human. Her poems encompass a vast expanse of emotions, from suffering and grief to love and celebration.… (more)
    Chinese Blackbird by Sherry Quan Lee (LHPress)
    LHPress: Thoughtful and lyrical poetry by women of color

I enjoyed most of the poetry in this book. Some of them were beautiful and an absolute joy to read, others were weaker in form and emotion. Among my favorites are Writin' My Blues Away; Hold on to God, a lawyer's prayer; and So Beautiful Just to Die. ( )
  carliwi | Sep 23, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Regina Jemison utilizes both word and form in her poetry collection "Soul Clothes" in a manner that, though not traditional, brings home her message. The verse is written in a modern style with an organic feel, though the edits are apparent. Overall, an intriguing read with quite a few gems, though readers of other modern poetry will be wishing for a bit more rawness at times.
  LissaRhys | Mar 20, 2012 |
  carmelitasita29 | Feb 11, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really like Jemison's deeply feeling poetry! Her poems are both inspirational and beautiful! I look forward to read more of her poetry. ( )
  angelswing | Jan 3, 2012 |
Soul Clothes by Regina D. Jemison is slim collection of poems that explore the Black experience from a spiritual perspective. She has quite a bit to say about the struggles Black men have with confidence, kicking habits, staying with their women, but she also has a lot to say about her own experiences and even the civil rights movement.

“writing illuminates injustice
gives language to people’s pain
pictures to failing dreams” (From “Because a door in my soul opens”, page 5)

Broken into three sections — God Gave Me Words, Soul Clothes, and Divine Reflections — and the first section tackles wider societal topics of struggle and faith, while the Soul Clothes section tackles similar struggles on a more personal level. In the final section, Jemison reflects on those struggles and what they teach each of us about ourselves and our place in the world, as well as how fleeting life really is.

Read the full review: http://savvyverseandwit.com/2011/11/soul-clothes-by-regina-d-jemison.html ( )
  sagustocox | Nov 25, 2011 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Regina D. Jemison's book Soul Clothes was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Modern History Press

3 editions of this book were published by Modern History Press.

Editions: 161599095X, 1615990968, 161599968X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,977,335 books! | Top bar: Always visible