Bleeding Hearts

by Alyxandra Harvey

Lucy, her boyfriend Nicholas, and his brother Connor try to keep secret the undead drama of Violet Hill when Lucy's cousin Christabel comes to live there, but after Christabel is kidnapped by the ruthless Hel-Blar vampires, they must let her in on the secrets and the battle.

First of all, what a cliffhanger! This was the biggest, most suspenseful cliffhanger yet in these books. I'm going to type this as quick as I can so I can start the next book! A lot of drama and action in this book, not as much mystery but still a fair little bit. I love the romance between the couple of the book and how their complications are so different from the couples paired up in the rest of the series. I also loved reading more about Lucy! ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Mom says jealousy's unattractive.

So's a broken nose.

I'm just saying.

Review coming super soon!!
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
An edge-of-your-seat read as plot lines from the first 3 books come to a head with a doozy of a cliffhanger. A quick read with lovable, eccentric female leads. The men in their lives are less well-developed and more generic, but the rollicking adventure, biting sarcasm, and witty humor distract readers from this flaw. ( )
  sschreur | Apr 20, 2013 |
Summary: The Drake family has called a Blood Moon - a gathering of all the vampire clans. Tensions are high as vampires gather, especially since there seem to be more of the feral, infectious Hel-Blar vampires prowling around than usual. Lucy Hamilton might only be human, but she's got plenty of connections to vampire politics: she's dating one of the Drake brothers, and their daughter, the princess Solange, is Lucy's best friend. Or was her best friend - she's been acting strange lately. Also on Lucy's list of worries is her cousin Christabel, who has come to live in Violet Hill while her mom's in rehab. Christabel doesn't believe in vampires, preferring poetry and Jane Eyre to Buffy. But when she finds herself drawn into their world, after falling for Connor Drake, the fact that she doesn't believe in vampires doesn't mean that she's not in danger from them.

Review: The Drake Chronicles are perfect literary candy, escapist read fun. They've got plenty of action, plenty of romance, cute vampires, and a sensibility that sets them apart from a lot of other teen paranormal romance. (Namely, I can read them without being filled with rage.) They're also excellent for breaking me out of a reading rut, and Bleeding Hearts was no exception. I haven't been reading a ton lately, and I've been super-distractible when I do, but I tore through Bleeding Hearts in little more than a day (and was late to work because I couldn't bring myself to put it down. Whoops.)

So overall: Totally fun, enjoyable read. In specific: There were a few things that were not quite as awesome as they could have been. The primary issue was that the narration was split between Connor, Christabel, and Lucy. On the one hand, Lucy, hooray! She's hilarious, and her POV narration was a large part of what sold me on the series back when I first read Hearts at Stake. On the other hand, however, the more time spent with Lucy and worrying about vampire politics means that the Connor/Christabel plot got relatively less space, and therefore wasn't really developed as well as I would have liked. Connor's great - probably the Drake brother I would personally go for were I magically transported into the books - so I was sad that not as much time was spent on the romance angle of the story. It also felt like things were a little rushed between them, and that clearly because we have two "nerds" in a story, they're going to wind up together. Harvey can write a hot make-out scene like nobody's business, but she can also write really good banter-y flirting, and I would have liked more of the latter than we get in this installment.

But even so, I had a blast with this book, and I'm definitely looking forward to getting my hands on the next one in the series. 4 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: Harvey does a quick but thorough job summarizing (which is nice for folks like me who read the rest of the series a while ago), but there are enough characters and enough going on that the series is probably better read from the beginning. I'd definitely recommend the whole thing to Buffy fans who are looking for a light, charming, funny summer read. ( )
  fyrefly98 | Aug 8, 2012 |
Connor is definitely my favorite Drake brother so far because he's totally the type of guy I would fall for - nerdy! However, Christabel is definitely my least favorite female lead - she is just plain boring. Also, just because they are both nerds does not mean they are perfect for each other - he's a scifi nerd, she's a classical literature nerd - these are two totally different kind of nerds! And it shows - there was relatively little chemistry between the two.
However, I love that we get some stuff from Lucy's point of view in this book. Love Lucy! ( )
  Loyet | Aug 4, 2012 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,742,069 books! | Top bar: Always visible